Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Naughty Zoe  (Read 8753 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Naughty Zoe
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:49:38 PM »

This is what happened when I accidentally separated Zoe from Ziggy, for about 30-40 mins.

Not only did she shred 4cm of carpet, but also chewed the underlay.  Luckily the CAT5 'phone cable'  to the NTE5 which runs under there was on Ziggy's side or that probably would have got chewed too.

No idea yet how Im going to cover the fact I have a very obvious 4cm missing gap in my carpet in a very prominent place....  nor how shes going to react when separated properly from Ziggy tomorrow for the 1st time, when she goes to the vets to be spayed.  She really does get frantic if she cant find him :/ 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Naughty Zoe
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:02:22 PM »

. . . nor how shes going to react when separated properly from Ziggy tomorrow for the 1st time, when she goes to the vets to be spayed.  She really does get frantic if she cant find him :/

Would it be too much of a problem to take them both along on the journey to the vet's practice? Then when it is time to collect Zoe, take Ziggy back with you to provide company for the return journey home?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »

Thanks HP, Im going to go out tomorrow and see what I can find - a 60mm plate should cover it, but Ive no idea how I'd fix it in place yet since I have a concrete floor and the current one appears to be glued in place.

----

Best solution to try and hide the damage goes to my friends partner.

"Carpet tape. Cover up the damage, then write on it, "My cat did this"   :lol:

----

@ B*cat, that thought has already run through my mind, - I dont use the local vet, preferring to use one in another town who were so very good with Ziggy when he had his broken hip.. and later on with Zac... its a bit further to go, but worth it in my mind.

Ive also got the Feliway to hand too.

-------------

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:38:57 AM by admin »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:20:39 PM »

concrete floor
Masonry drill and rawlplugs.  8)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:25:19 PM »

I dont have a drill :( :(

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad   :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 11:30:40 PM »

When I had a couple of kittens one loved to lick and chew the power cable to the TV.
A vey thin wipe of Colemans English mustard (well I was about a mile from the Colemans works) did the trick

Some said it was a cruel thing to do. I maintained I'ld rather the little mite sneeze whilst running for the water bowl a couple of times than find him cooked behind the TV.

Besides with a CAT5 wouldn't that have been cannibalism.  ::)

Other wise if you can find a patch of matching carpet. Cut a neat hole aound the damage, Square is easyest.
get a patch of cloth about twice the size of the hole. Feed it through the hole so it's lying flat underneath
Then smear or spay some glue between the cloth and carpet leaving some weight on top so they glue together.
then cut as precisely as you can the matching patch of carpet to the hole and stich down so its stuck to the cloth now backing the hole.
Use the warp and (other word begining with W I cant remember) of the carpet as a guide as where to cut. If you do this well it the repair becomes invisible.

Or if the hole has the carpet meeting itself then just glue the cloth underneath with out a patch.

Ive done this where a house mate left a hot iron on the floor. the only way you would have spotted the repair was when the carpet was lifted off the floor revealing the cloth behind.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:43:03 PM »

When I had a couple of kittens one loved to lick and chew the power cable to the TV.
A vey thin wipe of Colemans English mustard (well I was about a mile from the Colemans works) did the trick

Some said it was a cruel thing to do. I maintained I'ld rather the little mite sneeze whilst running for the water bowl a couple of times than find him cooked behind the TV.

Besides with a CAT5 wouldn't that have been cannibalism.  ::)

Other wise if you can find a patch of matching carpet. Cut a neat hole aound the damage, Square is easyest.
get a patch of cloth about twice the size of the hole. Feed it through the hole so it's lying flat underneath
Then smear or spay some glue between the cloth and carpet leaving some weight on top so they glue together.
then cut as precisely as you can the matching patch of carpet to the hole and stich down so its stuck to the cloth now backing the hole.
Use the warp and (other word begining with W I cant remember) of the carpet as a guide as where to cut. If you do this well it the repair becomes invisible.

Or if the hole has the carpet meeting itself then just glue the cloth underneath with out a patch.

Ive done this where a house mate left a hot iron on the floor. the only way you would have spotted the repair was when the carpet was lifted off the floor revealing the cloth behind.

Shes normally quite good.  She uses her cat scratching post and the cat tree as the only places to scratch, and aside from her trying to climb the net curtains after a fly when she was tiny, its the first damage shes done.
The carpet was purely down to me shutting a door with her on one side and Zigs on the other :(

Good idea, about a spare bit of carpet, I may have a small piece up in the loft, cant recall..  I only do the loft in daylight/when someone else is around.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 01:54:39 AM »

Use the warp and (other word begining with W I cant remember) of the carpet as a guide as where to cut.

Weft ?  ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 01:58:31 AM »

Whilst Im on about Zoe, I'll post some decent pics taken with a proper camera.

Thank you for those Kitteh-pics, which have now been added to my collection.  :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 07:54:13 AM »

Use the warp and (other word begining with W I cant remember) of the carpet as a guide as where to cut.

Weft???
Isn't that what you call the piece you have after cutting some off? :)

Beautiful pictures Kitz.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 10:00:03 AM »

You need some of this: http://tradeunderlay.com/products-page/flooring-products/carpet-door-bar-trims/silver-cover-extra-wide-60mm-x-2-7mtr-long/

If HP's solution isn't wide enough another solution is to get a piece of hardwood which is wide enough to cover the offending carpet and just thick enough to come up to carpet level.Cut the strip to the required width and then lay on top of the carpet,while there cut the the carpet both sides of the hardwood strip,remove the hardwood strip and the damaged carpet,now your hardwood strip should fit snuggly into the gap.You can stick the strip down with a bit of no nails adhesive. :)

(print out these instructions and give to your dad  ;D )

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 10:20:39 AM »

Another thing that might help is to remember that carpet plus underlay might be fairly thick.
If you cut back the carpet tidily to leave a gap of maybe 30/40mm then glue a strip of plywood to the concrete floor in the gap with the carpet butting up to it each side. Maybe also put some double-sided tape under the carpet edges too.
Then fix the metal strip to the plywood with very short screws.
The aim of the strip is to stop you catching the carpet edge with your feet and to hold it down.

Alternatively you can use square-edged carpet gripper (that you sort of tuck the carpet into and tap down to tighten) for both carpets and fill any gap with a wood strip. All can be glued down of course.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 03:55:03 PM »

Thank's Silversurfer. It came to me on my way home.
I couldnt see the photos of the damage however one thing about those metal carpet stips.

My parents had such a strip to join the carpets when the wall between the living and dinning room was knocked through. Whilst in just socks I caught my toe on the strip. Seemed just a tap but I had the skin off the end of my big toe hanging off. Makes my toes curl even now thinking about it. Slightly reshaped the strip with a mallet.

The daughters cat Austraia (pronounced Aus-stray-a as she was a stray) Loves to go outside. She was ferrel before being caught and sent to the animal shelter. Seems she likes to harras the local raccoons. Where as my Giant "Puma" of a cat Fluffy Mouseripper; either only comes out with me or out to get Austraia back inside. Unless its that white cat from nearby, if he goes anywhere near Austraia then Flffys inhibitions about 'outside' goes away. Its quite impressive how even for a cat he can achive that speed. Must be quite terrifing for the White cat.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 10:52:53 AM »

Still not had chance to sort this - it been a manic week, not helped when people who ask you for favours, then take the pee and leave you wasting your own time.

Zoe has now been spayed, but unfortunately had an internal bleed after something ruptured (dont ask me the technical term cervix and peri something is all I can recall).  This has now had the effect of a much longer and nasty looking site of incision that was anticipated.  Ive had to take her back for a few checkup to the vet.. shes still a bit subdued and quiet..  but she's very affectionate about it.  She seems okayish this weekend and I dont need to take her back again now until she has her stitches out next Friday.

Typical when I was so fretting over spaying anyhow and the one thing I was dreading for her. (FIP household /stress/neuter is a major trigger factor and not a good combination).  Id done everything I could first including a 2 week Feliway regime beforehand on my vets recommendation and then an unexpected happens.   ::)

Anyhows back to the carpet - thank you so very much for all your comments of help

>> print out these instructions and give to your dad

I have passed on your comments and he thinks a wood strip may be a good solution.  However, what some of you probably dont know is dad had been very poorly over the past few months and is not able to do DIY himself (its why Ive been taxi so often), however the loan of his drill, and his presence whilst I do the 'whatever needed' is a possibility. :)

-----
Pages: [1] 2