Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help please with HG612 problem  (Read 4537 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Help please with HG612 problem
« on: October 11, 2012, 06:29:05 PM »

There must be something I've forgotten on my setup.

The problem is that my network is fine and all PCs can access the internet, however my phone when on wi-fi can not access the internet, it can access the local lan web server and see the gateway (HG612) and login in to it OK, but it cannot get out to the internet at all. Something in the HG612 is stopping it but I cannot see what. All PCs are fixed IP and the phone is DHCP and it gets the correct IP the first in the DHCP range of 192.168.0.20 and I can ping it from my PC.

Anyone any ideas please?

Stuart

PS. I tried turning off the Firewall but it made no difference.
PPS. Looks like it might be an Android issue with DNS servers, need to do some more testing....
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:44:08 PM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Help please with HG612 problem
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 07:55:05 PM »

Either you have found the secret and well hidden wireless connection via the HG612 or you have a separate WAP connected via a switch . . .  :P

Please let us know what your tests ultimately show.

[For any visitors to the forum reading the above, it is b*cat's joke. The HG612 does not have any inbuilt WiFi capability.]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »

Yes I should have stated the obvious I do have a wireless AP connected to the switch which BTW works perfectly with my laptop wirelessly connected.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 10:27:49 PM »

Just for reference this is an Android problem. It would seem that the HG612 passes the gateway IP as the DNS server IP, at least this is what the phone thinks. I decided to change to static IP but there seem to be bugs in the Android system (Ice Cream Sandwich) which meant that I needed an App from the Google store which switches to static and forces the settings on. This now means that my phone works on wi-fi.

When I used the D-Link DHCP worked OK with this same phone which is why I thought this might have been an HG612 problem initially.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »

I'm pleased to hear that you worked it out. :)

Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 11:29:43 PM »

Excellent news.  :thumbs:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 08:10:17 AM »

A bit more thought today and a bit more testing seems to indicate that DNS relay does not work on the HG612 as it does on the D-Link. I have now altered the settings on the Basic/Lan page on the HG612 so that the dropdown box above the DNS entries has Computer selected and the range of IP addresses set to the same as the DHCP range and plugged in my normal DNS servers (I dont use my ISP ones) and now DHCP on the phone works OK.

So this is a bit more complex than I originally thought and there are issues with Android 4.04 with static IP assignment, but it seems that for DHCP the HG612 settings need to be a bit more complex than suggested in the wiki here.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »

It almost sounds like its something to do with this - HTC phone cant get Wi-Fi Access with Speedtouch Router.

Since updating to Android 2.3.3 (Im now on serveral versions past that), there are certain routers that I just cannot get wi-fi access with.  A friends android phone is also the same... worked fine on Android 2.2.x but anything after that and it plays silly beggars and I get exactly the same problems as you.  Some routers are fine, but there are plenty of others (the sky router being another) which will allocate a dynamic IP and you can ping it but it just wont access the internet.

The only solution I have found that works is allocating a static IP.  This is a bit of a PITA as almost every new location I have to swap settings.  I did find an app that was supposed to help (WiFi Manager) but its not a proper nor an ideal solution.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »

Well all I can say is that my Sony xperia S now works perfectly every time using DHCP since I made the changes in the router.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 05:28:49 PM »

Well all I can say is that my Sony xperia S now works perfectly every time using DHCP since I made the changes in the router.

Stuart

Im glad you got it sorted,   :)
Wish I had something for mine..   more than a year on and I still have to mess with my settings when I visit someone elses house with certain routers, as it still wont seem to pick up a dynamic IP correctly :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker