Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HTC phone cant get Wi-Fi Access with Speedtouch Router.  (Read 3128 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
HTC phone cant get Wi-Fi Access with Speedtouch Router.
« on: August 17, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »

Putting this in here in the hope that it helps someone else, because yesterday I spent numerous fruitless hours trying to get my HTC Desire S to work with Wi-Fi on my router.

There are countless un-resolved threads and posts scattered all over the internet of numerous people having similar difficulties in that ALL models of HTC phones seem to be having difficulty gaining wifi access via their router.

The problem affects several different makes of router, but primarily seems to be the speedtouch routers that are affected.

It would appear that upgrading the to Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3) seems to 'break' a few things related to wifi in the HTC phones.

-----------------------------

1) Wireless signal on the HTC Desire S is diminished and the phone switches over to contracted internet 3g services much sooner than previously.  This apparently is inbuilt by design by google to provide a 'more seamless experience' for the user allowing 3g services to kick in at a much lower -88dBm.  This is not good for UK customers who are on a limited amount of contract/PAYG bandwidth.  This problem is supposedly being looked into and hopefully an updated patch will be released soon.

-----------------------------

2) HTC phones (HTC Desire, HD, S, Sensation, Hero etc) will not connect to Wi-Fi services on certain routers, most notably (but not limited to) the Speedtouch router.

My investigations yesterday showed that the phone was being allocated an IP address via the router, but all attempts to navigate to the internet just wasnt happening.
Its not a DNS issue because using an IP address to navigate to websites doesnt work either.

Switching off WEP/WPA encryption/ security on the router works, but running your network unsecured is not a good idea.

The only way to get get wifi access on my secured network was to use a static IP on the HTC.  This isnt an ideal solution, but at least its a work around until the problem gets resolved.

To do this:-

From the (hard) menu button on the bottom
>> Settings
>> Wireless & Networks

Select Wi-Fi settings

When on the "WI-FI" Screen, Press the Hard Menu button at the bottom.
This will bring up a popup screen.  Select "Advanced".

A New screen appears.

Under IP settings

>> Tick the "Use Static IP" box

>> Click IP address. 
     Enter 192.168.1.20  (or whatever IP you wish to designate)  OK

>> Click Gateway.
     Enter 192.168.1.254 (or whatever IP your router is using) OK

>> Click Netmask
     Enter 255.255.255.0    OK

>> Click DNS 1
     Enter 8.8.8.8  (Im using google DNS for this example) OK

>> Click DNS 2
     Enter 8.8.4.4  (Im using google DNS for this example) OK
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:51:37 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: HTC phone cant get Wi-Fi Access with Speedtouch Router.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:07:14 PM »

On the latest Desire HD update this issue has been fixed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »

Thanks for that info:)   

Is that the wi-fi signal issue, or the unable to connect at all to certain routers?   
I had a friend here at the weekend who has a HD who couldnt connect via my router.   Wasnt aware what the problem was at the time... until I had no joy with my own Desire S.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 08:05:54 AM »

It's the issue where you can connect to a router's WiFi but there is no internet at all.