Computer Software > Security

How To Stop Sending Out My IP Address.

(1/6) > >>

tickmike:
It concerns me that we keep sending out my private IP address (Not Dynamic) along with the machine IP on my home network, >:(  it's  with emails and it seems to be be on my daughters bebo account etc. as well.
How can I stop this.

My set up = ADSL with 6 Ip Address's, Router (With NAT firewall turned off), Smoothwall hardware firewall, switch, network.

roseway:
What exactly do you mean by your private IP address? If it's the external IP address of the router, then that's public knowledge on any system. If you mean the purely local LAN address, then that's no use to any external invader. Either way, it's not a security risk.

guest:
It is entirely normal for email. The email "header" contains all the information that the mx (mail exchanger or mailserver) passes.

I'm rather concerned that you have an IP block and don't understand basics like this?

What is the mailserver/ISP smarthost you use?

tickmike:
Eric, I have a block of IP Addresses for my system to work, it stops me double natting,
Rizla, My ISP = Eclipse and I use webmail (Hotmail, Lycos, yahoo ) as well as my isp's mail.

My main worry was with my daughters Bebo and chat forums, she very good and only talks with private friends settings as she does not want to use the pubic (anyone) settings., she is aware of the risks.

I noticed one day that our IP address was being displayed by the site and I had it in my head you could look up my IP details and hence get our home address something she nor I want made  public .

Re,"I'm rather concerned that you have an IP block and don't understand basics like this?"
Well I have only one brain cell that works nowadays  ;D and I forget or is it the mad cow disease eating my brain away ?.

roseway:
Whenever you access anything on the internet your outgoing message header includes your IP address, so the server at the other end knows who to send the reply to. It's always going to be public knowledge. Those IP addresses are owned by your ISP, not by you, and any lookup will only reveal the ISP's details.

(There's a small typo in your second paragraph, which you might like to correct :lol: )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version