Computer Software > Security

How To Stop Sending Out My IP Address.

<< < (6/6)

guest:
The only valid reason I can think of for requiring multiple IPs is if you're running multiple SSL hosts.

I think these days that virtualisation covers any cross-platform requirements. Possibly some games if you're hosting multiple servers but usually the ports can be changed - game hosting companies do it all the time and most wouldn't install the server unless the port number could be changed. Multiple VoIP phones work fine behind most NAT implementations - perhaps if you were running asterisk having more than one IP address would be easier.

I'm struggling to think of anything else apart from some broken VPN software.......

That's no reason not to have them if you want them of course :)

guest:

--- Quote ---If you are very worried check out TOR.
--- End quote ---

I ran an exit server for some time and I wouldn't touch Tor unless you trust the exit server. It's trivially simple to set one up (for example) to only accept SSL traffic, then should you be so inclined, you simply capture all the traffic to disk. Nice easy way of getting usernames & passwords. They were told about this AGES ago but didn't take a lot of notice. Of course you could permit all http/ssl traffic and capture that as all you'd require is more storage space/patience.

Its surprising how many people forget they have Tor turned on when they access secure sites :(

jabns:

--- Quote ---The only valid reason I can think of for requiring multiple IPs is if you're running multiple SSL hosts.
--- End quote ---

Yup. I am running 2 SSL hosts and the other reason i NEED mine is for multiple xbox 360s. I thought that MS would have made it so you had say three sets of ports you could use(most people won't have more than 3 boxes). There again it is MS were on about here.

1 other use i can think of is load balancing but most homes don't have that. I sometime switch to LB if the my MX server is getting bombed and is slowing down my network.

Yeah i don't like TOR at all but i am also not to bothered about been visible as i have 2 MX servers 2x HTTPD and 2x SQL all publicly available. Besides getting SPAMed has been quite a "fun" learning experiance trying to prevent it. Although businesses probably would not call it that.

guest:
You can't put more than one XBox 360 behind NAT? Total muppets but as you say its MS :(

I assume you're using Spamhaus' Zen blocking list? That plus a couple of manual blocklists and some heuristics got me down to 8 spams/day accepted by the mx. I worked out that over the course of 2006 my mx rejected 99.987% of connections made to it at the smtp envelope stage. I use Mailtraq which, despite being a Win32 app,  is probably the most stable piece of software I "own" :) I thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version