Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unlocked Hauwei HG612 but need help  (Read 3047 times)

kalato

• Just arrived
Unlocked Hauwei HG612 but need help
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:45:47 PM »

Hi all,

I've unlocked the modem but does anyone know how to use the lan1 for my homehub and lan2 for my main PC? Lan1 is bridged for the homehub but I cant seem to get an internet connection for lan2 I have however managed to get an IP on lan2 for my main PC so I can login but still cant get an internet connection, it does want a username and password for infinity login but I dont have one? only one is the bthomehub@btbroadband.com with no password but that doesnt work. Any idea's?

Thank you!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Unlocked Hauwei HG612 but need help
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:43:30 AM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.

You are currently trying to perform the impossible. The default configuration of an Openreach supplied HG612 is to act as a bridge between the LAN1 port and the xDSL port (a.k.a. the WAN port).

In that configuration, the Home Hub provides the PPPoE login credentials. It is impossible to "login" twice to the same service. It is a similar situation to attempting to plug in two ADSL modem/routers to one line. As, I'm sure you realise, that will not work.

Now If you would like to use both LAN ports of the HG612, then it, the HG612, will need to be configured to provide the PPPoE credentials and act as a DHCP server to the two LAN ports.

Finally you will need to set the Home Hub into pure bridge mode . . .

I'm just not too sure.  :-\  Now where is Asbokid? He is bound to have an idea!  ::)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:45:48 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 07:04:22 PM »

Yeah b*cat is pretty much right.  My config for my HG612 with the Huawei 532 as supplied TT is as follows.

1) Router is in routed DHCP mode at IP address 192.168.1.10
2) 612 is in default pure bridge mode on address 192.168.1.1
3) Two lan cables connect from the router to the 612.  One provides the internet on LAN1 and the other enables access to the modem configuration at its IP address.

You have to set the DHCP server on the router to serve addresses from 1 higher than you put the router at (or up to .253 if you put it at .254).  You also have to set the first DNS server to the same IP address as the router otherwise you won't get internet  ;)
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:52:05 PM »

All good advice from B*cat and B*eagle! cheers, a

anything