Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Hacking the ECI model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B  (Read 207731 times)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
Re: Hacking the ECI model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B
« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2012, 12:58:18 AM »

Is there any need to further document the hardware hack?

Hello nimda!

please do improve the docs! There's lots still to do :-)

We should be determined to find the parameters to obtain QLN and HLOG from the ECI.  These are perhaps the single most important per-subcarrier measurements available from the modem.

The firmware utility dsl_cpe_control is instrumental here. Fortunately it's fully open source.  So it's a case of studying that code to discover the parameter lists for the commands "g997dqlng" (G997_DeltQLNGet) and "g997dhlogg"    (G997_DeltHLOGGet).

Commands to obtain line and channel data are submitted to dsl_cpe_control through a named pipe /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_cmd.  The response from the utility is then retrieved from another pipe /tmp/pipe/dsl_cpe0_ack.

Ben1066 reports that the device hangs when the wrong command parameters are submitted.  This needs exploring.

Also, it would be good to discover why there are many fields unpopulated in the statistics page of web GUI.  There is a component either missing or not yet running in the firmware.  Those fields contain realtime data. This data should be retrieved from the hardware driver periodically, and inserted into the XML database. It is from the XML database that the GUI must get its dynamic data. The component which actually performs that retrieval and insertion for some reason is not functioning, or not running. 

Manually inserting arbitrary realtime data into the XML database, and studying whether that data then appears in the web GUI could be a productive exercise.  It should identify whether the web server is correctly retrieving realtime data from the database.

cheers, a
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:35:48 AM by asbokid »

nimda

« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2012, 02:55:09 PM »

Okay, great, I'll document every step of the hardware hack process.

Note to self: when ordering a new iron from the States ensure the required input power is compatible with UK mains!

ben1066

« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2012, 04:01:42 PM »

I've looked through documentation for the fritzbox dsl_pipe and it should work. I have a feeling our version is broken.

uklad

« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »

asbokid did we ever manage to get a working open source tarball ?

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »

asbokid did we ever manage to get a working open source tarball ?

Hello uklad!  I was wondering where you'd gone! No sign of the tarball yet, no.. We've still only got that corrupted archive from the Openreach website.  Hopefully BT Openreach will get it sorted soon.  Ahem!

With the full source code for that chipset - and specifically documentation for the API to the DSP hardware driver - maybe we can obtain the QLN and HLOG data.   All the code that is out there at the moment relates to Lantiq's VINAX VDSL2 chipset which is normally used in Central Office kit rather than in Consumer Premises Equipment.

Maybe someone has a contact at BT Openreach to ask for an uncorrupted tarball of this open source code?

cheers, a

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #185 on: June 01, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »

In case a soft way of enabling access to the ECI modem does not prove practical is there any chance of a Windows idiot's end to end guide to enabling access to it?  Starting with opening the modem  and guidance on what components to purchase through to finally using it.  I note the need to do some soldering, the help in this post, and the guide in http://hackingecibfocusv2fubirevb.wordpress.com/ but to avoid a high chance of bricking the modem it would be really good to see a careful step by step procedure. 

Many thanks in advance if someone is willing to do this.  I have ordered the needed components and will carefully have a go anyway, I don't mind the soldering, its usually novice typo's in Linux that get me.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:16:14 PM by les-70 »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #186 on: June 09, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »

Well I have gone ahead with DKU5 cable.  I added the header pins. A 1mm drill seemed essential but it is very easy to do with one to hand.  I followed the permanent change instructions in the wordpress pages and now have all access working on 192.168.168.168 which seems to be the device default. 

The final stage of the instructions where the changes are checked did not work for me.  The command "rgcfg get -n /dev/mtdblock/3 -c /var/tmp/newreadrgdb.xml.gz" gave a blank return as I think it should but "gunzip newreadrgdb.xml.gz" gave file not found. I can't see a typo.

The web interface seems to allows the access IP to be changed.  Is the change to 192.168.1.55 just to get you back to the normal IP range?  and is the web interface an OK way to change it permanently?  If not what extra is needed  on the command line to change it permanently?

Please can someone can advise!

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #187 on: June 09, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »

Hi Les-70,

Well I have gone ahead with DKU5 cable.  I added the header pins. A 1mm drill seemed essential but it is very easy to do with one to hand.  I followed the permanent change instructions in the wordpress pages and now have all access working on 192.168.168.168 which seems to be the device default. 

The final stage of the instructions where the changes are checked did not work for me.  The command "rgcfg get -n /dev/mtdblock/3 -c /var/tmp/newreadrgdb.xml.gz" gave a blank return as I think it should but "gunzip newreadrgdb.xml.gz" gave file not found. I can't see a typo.

That bit should have been clearer..  Just a 'cd' needed

Code: [Select]
$ rgcfg get -n /dev/mtdblock/3 -c /var/tmp/newreadrgdb.xml.gz
$ cd /var/tmp
$ gunzip newreadrgdb.xml.gz

The web interface seems to allows the access IP to be changed.  Is the change to 192.168.1.55 just to get you back to the normal IP range?

Yes, it's just because few people use the 192.168.168.0/24 subnet and 192.168.1.0/24 is common.

and is the web interface an OK way to change it permanently?  If not what extra is needed  on the command line to change it permanently?
   Please can someone can advise!

I think that was how we did it.  It's been a while now though and I haven't got an ECI.   

Perhaps uklad or ben1066 would remember?

cheers, a
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 03:47:25 PM by asbokid »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #188 on: June 10, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »

Thanks for the clarification, I should have spotted that but was in "do exactly what was suggested" mode.  The web GUI worked fine for changing the IP.  It all looks to be working but my FTTC has yet to come. :(  I bought an what was claimed to be an HG612 on ebay so I could quickly get stats when the CAB and connection went live but instead an ECI  ???( which I expect to get from BT) came.  Decided to keep it but unlock it, given eDMT this looks a good option.  I can't get the ADSL fall back to work to work but that may be because I have annex M at the moment.  I downloaded eDMT, the graphical appearance looks great but it fails on actual login as is probably inevitable with no connection.

In conclusion very many thanks to those who did all the hard work and made it available.  Great work!

ben1066

« Reply #189 on: June 24, 2012, 12:00:03 PM »

eDMT should work fine if you can access it over telnet, as that is what it uses to gather data.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #190 on: June 24, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if there was an issue.  I have telnet working OK but NO sync.  I can start edmt OK but when I try to connect to the modem it fails.  I assumed this was because the router does not have any sync or useful signal.  I currently have annex m on the line and even the adsl fallback fails.   (FTTC on my line looks set to be delayed as apparently there are blocked ducts and no sign of work on actual fibre.)  Should edmt, on the connect command, proceed to something even with no connection?

Regards
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:07:29 PM by les-70 »

ben1066

« Reply #191 on: June 24, 2012, 09:12:05 PM »

What does it do? It shouldn't silently fail... It may error on getting data since it could get something unexpected, but it should tell you.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #192 on: June 24, 2012, 09:40:44 PM »

It gives the "needs to close" and the  invitation to send to microsoft.  I also just tried a wrong IP or wrong password and get the same result.  A debugger of mine reports an "unhandled exception" and shows me a very unhelpful disassembly of the exe.   I am running windows XP.  Do you know what you get if your vdsl line is not connected or you give a wrong IP etc?

I have just unzipped to a folder that contains the two exe's and the dll. I assume that is all that is needed.  telnet is definitely OK -straight to login and then command prompt.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:44:19 PM by les-70 »

ben1066

« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »

Its a .NET assembly, so should decompile fine with reflector or such if you're a developer. That's a wierd error though I admit.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #194 on: June 25, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »

Please could you say what response you get with a wrong IP or a wrong name/password?  It may help to know what should happen then.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21