Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

BT Home Hub 3.0 - Type B

(1/48) > >>

burakkucat:
Those of you who use "Beatie" as your broadband service supplier, either BT Total Broadband or BT Infinity, will have been given one of the Home Hubs to use (as a modem/router for the former service or as a router for the latter).

Certain forum regulars will be aware that b*cat is interested in the various pieces of equipment and the technology that allows an end user to be able to access the Internet. I recently made an eBay purchase which consisted of two Huawei HG612 modems (the current official active CPE for VDSL2 connections in this country) and a BT Home Hub 3.0 - Type B. One of the Huawei modems will shortly be forwarded to a fellow researcher, whilst the other will be used by me.

As for the BT HH3, I thought I would have a look inside. So with care and precision, it was disembowelled. Hmm, nothing particularly outstanding to see . . .  :-\  Purely for your interest, I scanned both sides of the PCB and have attached the images to this post.

After scanning, it was reassembled and I can reassure those sensitive people that absolutely no equipment was harmed in the process!  :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

bbnovice:
Hi:

So what were the conclusions of your "autopsy" of the HH?

I'm interested as I'm being drawn to BT Infnity but have not migrated due to concerns over several problems. One of those issues is the terrible reputation of the BT HH and /or the Huawei.

burakkucat:

--- Quote ---So what were the conclusions of your "autopsy" of the HH?

--- End quote ---

It's just an average bit of kit -- nothing particularly special about it, nothing to get really excited over. Let's say my opinion is neutral.

--- Quote ---I'm interested as I'm being drawn to BT Infnity but have not migrated due to concerns over several problems.

--- End quote ---

I have a few of comments.

The first is that if you wish to have a FTTC service with a VDSL2 link from the DSLAM to your home, you can subscribe to a service from numerous retailers. BT Infinity is just the sevice from BT Retail.

My second comment is that if you only intend to connect one device / computer, you can directly connect it to the Huawei HG612. Your sole computer will need to be configured to establish a PPPoE connection, etc, but it can be done.

My third comment is that if you still intend to use the BT Infinity route, you do not have to use the HH3. You can substitute any "cable" router/switch in place of it. If I had access to a BT Infinity service to "play with", I would definitely try using a 2Wire 2701HGV-C in place of the HH3. The 2Wire 2701HGV-C can be purchased quite cheaply (and brand new) on eBay as a Version 3.0 of the BT Business Hub, Type 2. It is important not to purchase an original BT Business Hub, Type 1 (which is a re-badged 2Wire 1800HG) nor Versions 1.0 or 2.0 of the BT Business Hub, Type 2 (which are re-badged 2Wire 2700HGVs).

As for the Huawei HG612, which is installed by OpenReach as the active CPE for all FTTC installations, the latest version 3B with the SP10 firmware is adequate for the 12a VDSL2 profile upgrade that is currently being rolled out across the country. Of course, to be able to monitor the line statistics, one will need to install the unlocked SP10 firmware that Asbokid has made available to us all.  ;)

bbnovice:
Hi burakkucat

Many thanks for the comprehensive feedback. I think I understand it all !

I'm aware that others offer FTTC on my exchange (eg ZEN) but their prices are not terribly attractive compared with BT.

For example ZEN is £28 per month (with a £96 connection fee plus cost of hardware) for a service they estimate at 30Gb for my line but which is restricted to a monthly cap of 10Gb.  BT's current offer is also £28 per month (including line rental) for the same speed but the monthly cap is a lot higher at 40Gb. Furthermore there is only a £25 connection fee and you also get telephone calls at a reduced rate.

My thinking in using BT is that, just at the moment, this is a brand new service on my exchange, and that if there are teething problems BT are more likely to resolve them if they are responsible for the whole thing end to end especially as I already use BT for phone service. I know that technically BT retail and OR are 2 seperate entities but I do sometimes wonder. Possibly I'm being naive.

I'm aware that ZEN has a good service reputation but I'm not sure I want to introduce a third party into the equation until after the service has been proven in practice for a while.     

burakkucat:
Hi BB,

Yes, everything you've mentioned makes perfect sense. I will agree, on price alone "Beattie" will be an excellent choice. As you currently use "her" to provide your telephone service, then taking the Infinity broadband service is (almost) a "no brainer". :)

Consider my neighbour "Gordon". He professes to being a numpty where technology is concerned but bar a minor hiccup when the first attempt was made to install his Infinity broadband service, everything has subsequently been fault / issue free. He is, as a consequence, very happy with the service. It is from "Gordon"'s Infinity connection that I will occasionally quote details, for it is one of the best of which I am aware. (I guess it helps that the D-side copper pair is precisely 440 yards / 0.25 mile / 400 metres.)

Now consider Mr Eagle (a.k.a. Baldy_Bird or Bald_Eagle1). He has a third-party, PlusNet, involved in the supply of his telephony and FTTC broadband service. His tale of woe is now giving that slim volume (War And Peace) a good run for the Roubles. ;)

As a new FTTC installation, you should be provided with a Huawei HG612, type 3B, as the active CPE by OR and BT Retail will send you a HH3, via the postal service. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version