Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Freeola 1.2Gbps and 1.8Gbps FTTP  (Read 946 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Freeola 1.2Gbps and 1.8Gbps FTTP
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 09:42:55 AM »

Internet and web hosting provider Freeola has informed ISPreview that they’ve just become the latest on a small list of UK ISPs to launch consumer home broadband packages based off Openreach’s new Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) powered 1.2Gbps and 1.8Gbps (both 120Mbps upstream) download speed tiers.

But:

One crucial point to make here is that both of these plans are sold alongside a short 30-day contract and include a static IP address, much like all their other packages. But customers will need to pay extra if they want to add a pre-configured broadband router to their package, which might be wise given that the new tiers will benefit from having a higher end device with a 2.5Gbps LAN port.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 09:56:24 AM »

speeds of 1.6Gbps for £73

Wow, its not that long ago that I thought things may top off at 1Gbp for a while.   Instead it seems like a race as to who can provide the fastest.
I just hope it doesnt affect routine service speeds.   There will always be a group chasing the highest speeds and using it.  If you get a pile of heavy downloaders there is potential for starting to see signs of congestion.   Yes we have WDM for the backhauls, but there surely are still other points on the network could see congestion, say at handover.

Will you be chasing those speeds Max ?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 10:13:04 AM »

Not at their prices! :(
Makes EE, A&A , ZEN quiet reasonable! ;) ;)

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 10:15:58 AM »

Will you be chasing those speeds Max ?

Nope, as speed isn't everything. I learned from that now. As for me, when FTTP become available, I will stick to those range 160/30 or 330/50 - that's more than enough for two of us in the household. But again, if the price is bargain for 330 than 160 I take it but it won't be Freeola ISP. Probably go to Plusnet FTTP 145.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 10:19:39 AM by adslmax »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2024, 11:05:10 AM »

The only reason I went for 500 when I migrated ISPs was because it was a blinding deal. We had 150 for 2 years and that was more than enough but I got 500 for the same price as 150 in a Black Friday deal!

Stuart
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 11:47:43 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2024, 11:41:23 AM »

Not at their prices! :(
Makes EE, A&A , ZEN quiet reasonable! ;) ;)

I'm pretty curious what Zen are going to charge given my current contract is the old price of £59.99/month and when I queried the 1.8Gbit service the CEO said it "wont be much more". 

I don't think £73 is a lot for 1.8Gbit, given how much of that goes to Openreach, but that will be higher due to the monthly contract I'd expect.
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/02/openreach-confirm-uk-launch-of-1-8gbps-and-1-2gbps-fttp-tiers.html

I don't understand how they manage to offer it on a monthly contract given AFAIK they are charged by Openreach for 12 months, regardless of if the customer stays that long.  Plus the connection fee etc, thus why most ISPs tie you into a longer contract.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2024, 12:01:09 PM »

I think no ISPs can selling FTTP on 30 days contract (I don't know how on earth Freeola managed to get that) but maybe install fee cover for 12 months one off charge to customer and hidden exit fee, who know?

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2024, 01:34:03 PM »

Still paying £49 pcm with fixed ip for 2gb/2gb with you fibre..

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2024, 01:38:20 PM »

I just hope it doesnt affect routine service speeds.   There will always be a group chasing the highest speeds and using it.  If you get a pile of heavy downloaders there is potential for starting to see signs of congestion.   Yes we have WDM for the backhauls, but there surely are still other points on the network could see congestion, say at handover.

Selling 1.8 of a PON capable of about 2.3 is most of the bottleneck with the GEA cablelink at 10 Gbit and exchange backhaul being the rest. Doubt it'll cause many issues as chances of heavy downloads simultaneously for any length of time on the same OLT let alone OLT port are pretty slim. Rest of networks should be fine, won't make a dent.

Nothing wrong with a little congestion here and there. Depending what the heavier users are doing and how queueing is set up no need to impact lower tier users excessively and certainly not enough that people on much lower tiers will notice unless running speed tests.

PON handles downstream congestion like a boss and upstream congestion very well. Rest should be under the control of the CP.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2024, 01:41:45 PM »

Still paying £49 pcm with fixed ip for 2gb/2gb with you fibre..

Planning on replying to every thread on the Openreach 1.2/1.8 products this way or stopping at the two? I'm delighted with my service from YouFibre but not relevant to the Freeola Openreach product and coverage far lower.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2024, 02:09:05 PM »

I think no ISPs can selling FTTP on 30 days contract (I don't know how on earth Freeola managed to get that) but maybe install fee cover for 12 months one off charge to customer and hidden exit fee, who know?

Currently poking my account managers regarding that, we sometimes get a customer with a 6 month lease pop up store or restaurant who wants service.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2024, 04:21:03 PM »

Not hard to do, just most ISPs want the assured revenue from the contract length, and use it as a tool to lock customers in or bump their price up otherwise.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2024, 09:13:38 PM »

This article is over 3 years old.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/04/openreach-adopt-1-month-terms-for-uk-fttp-broadband-lines.html

The minimum period of service for Fibre to the Premises products is 1 month for new circuit orders connected from 29/04/2021.  Until this point the minimum period of service was 12 months (unless the GEA-FTTP service had migrated between Communications Providers when a minimum period of service of one month following such migration applied).

BT Wholesale (or other wholesalers) might not offer month to month on FTTP, limiting availability.

There can also be charges for having to upgrade the ONT for existing FTTP customers, affecting price of 1.2/1.8Gb tiers.

Lots of things providers need to take in to account when setting prices.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 09:33:22 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything