Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Re: ADSL Modem/Router Recomendations  (Read 5023 times)

konrado5

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL Modem/Router Recomendations
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »

What do you think about Netgear  DG834G? This router has bcm6348 v0.7 chipset, by contrast my TP-Link TD-W9850ND has bcm6338 v1.0. Furthermomre, Netgear DG834G has telnet and SNR margin lowering possibility.

Best regards
konrado5

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Re: ADSL Modem/Router Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:23:04 PM »

What do you think about Netgear  DG834G? This router has bcm6348 v0.7 chipset, by contrast my TP-Link TD-W9850ND has bcm6338 v1.0. Furthermomre, Netgear DG834G has telnet and SNR margin lowering possibility.

Best regards
konrado5

Doesn't have gigabit network ports, doesn't have wireless N, doesn't have USB sockets.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:32:24 PM »

Could you recommend any good router with Broadcom modem and wireless N or ND? Billion 7800DXL is very cheap and hard available in Poland. I need to check accurately my Internet connection statistics and lower my SNR margin (full telnet support).

Best regards
konrado5

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:39:59 PM »

Could you recommend any good router with Broadcom modem and wireless N or ND? Billion 7800DXL is very cheap and hard available in Poland. I need to check accurately my Internet connection statistics and lower my SNR margin (full telnet support).

Best regards
konrado5

Start your own thread :/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »

Best regards
konrado5

Can I just confirm if that should be "NOT very cheap"..?

Possibly the best thing would be to tell us what routers you can get hold of. 

How about one of the Huawei's....  But bcat or one of the others is possibly best for advising which model for adsl2+ as I've only used them on vdsl. 

I know some people don't like them, but personally I think the tg582n worked well on my own line when on adsl2+ bettering the sync of even the netgears.  IMHO its not a bad router for the price, if you have a short/med line.   I can't recall it you can tweak snrm as I never tried it...I had no need due to it being stable at 3db. 

My personal fav router for tweaking used to be the st585v6, but they're now out of date and hard to get... I was sad when mine died...  The later versions aren't so easy to tweak, or have been blocked completely from doingy so.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »

I want very cheap (if it is possible) router which is slight better than my TP-Link TD-W8950ND. I want to full telnet support (DSLStats), SNR margin tweaking possibility and good synchronization rate. I'd like to have better BCM chipset than BCM6338 on TP-Link TD-W8950ND. I don't know if I need N support on Wi-Fi if I have only 14 mbps transfer on ADSL. Perhaps G is sufficient. D-Link DL-2640B maybe? Have I benefits of N with 14-16 mbps ADSL connection?

Best regards
konrado5

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »

I expect you've seen this page: http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/BCM_routers . The D-Link DSL-2640 and 2740 are good performers and have fully accessible telnet interfaces with all the Broadcom features. I've used the DSL-2740, and I would say that it's a very good modem/router.
  Eric

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »

OK, I'll probably buy D-Link DSL 2740. Has he the SNR margin tweak possibility?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:26:50 PM »

OK, I'll probably buy D-Link DSL 2740. Has he the SNR margin tweak possibility?

*sigh*

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »

How about one of the Huawei's....  But bcat or one of the others is possibly best for advising which model for adsl2+ as I've only used them on vdsl. 

For completeness, having seen Kitz' suggestion above, I'll say that none of the three Huawei EchoLife Home Gateway devices, of which I have experience, will fulfil Konrado5's requirements.  :no:

HG610 -- Broadcom chipset, four Ethernet ports (not gigabit), no WiFi, G.Dmt, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL2, difficult to source.
HG612 -- Broadcom chipset, two Ethernet ports (not gigabit), no WiFi, G.Dmt, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL2, easily obtained via eBay.
HG622 -- Broadcom chipset, four Ethernet ports (not gigabit), WiFi, USB port, G.Dmt, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL2, difficult to source.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 09:33:33 PM »

Thank you for your help. I've ordered D-Link DSL-2740B. I see it is fully supported by DSLStats and DMT Tool v8.

Best regards
konrado5

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 09:47:47 PM »

I've ordered D-Link DSL-2740B.

I hope that you will be happy using it.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 10:19:06 PM »

I hope my problems are caused by my current router.

Berrick

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL Modem/Router Recomendations
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 07:07:31 AM »

I don't know if I need N support on Wi-Fi if I have only 14 mbps transfer on ADSL

Just aan observation but how many devices are potentially going to be wireless. If the answer is more than one then it is irrelevant that you only have 14 Mbps on your internet link.

As a rule of thumb, assuming .11g wireless is working at its maximum of 54 Mbps then data throughput will be about 22 - 27 Mbs. Divide this number by the maximum number of devices using the wireless and now you have the potential bandwidth available for each device.

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

anything