Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC 2.6km with dreadful download speed  (Read 4116 times)

flyer51

• Just arrived
FTTC 2.6km with dreadful download speed
« on: January 18, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »

Hello

Wednesday 8th Jan 2014 had fibre installed by Kelly Comms which left me with a 0.6Mbps download speed.  I am with Plusnet so got onto them to try and improve the speed.  They arranged for a BT Engineer to visit me on the Tuesday 14th Jan.  He was unable to raise the speed above 0.9Mbps, but infact said he didn't know how he'd done that apart from doing checks on the line.  He reported the line was good but said that as the distance from the cabinet to my house is 2.6km, I would be unable to get higher speed. The download speed has now dropped back to 0.6Mbps.

Since then I have been back to Plusnet who have today reported that I can either stick with the 0.6Mbps fibre or revert to my previous 1.0Mbps ADSL2. 

Having researched on Google have found this website where it would seem that 2.6km is not an impossibly long line to achieve at least 5Mbps.  This is the result of the BT Wholesale checker:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 01202xxxxxx on Exchange NORTHBOURNE is served by Cabinet 20
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High   Low   High   Low      
FTTC Range A (Clean)    9.9   5.5   1.2   0.8   --   Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)   7.5   2.8   1   0.5   --   Available

WBC ADSL 2+   Up to 1   --   1 to 3.5   Available
ADSL Max   Up to 1   --   0.75 to 2.5   Available
WBC Fixed Rate    0.5   --   --   Available
Fixed Rate    0.5   --   --   Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast   --   --   --   Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For FTTC Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

Plusnet are saying there is no chance of getting these speeds.  I would like your thoughts and advice please.

flyer51

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:51:18 PM by flyer51 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: FTTC 2.6km with dreadful download speed
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 01:56:55 PM »

As an experienced engineer ......... I'd concur with both PlusNet and the OR engineer. You haven't a hope in hell of getting more speed, let alone 5Meg !! on a D-side cable length of that meterage.

I have a semi-rural/semi-urban split patch, which has numerous properties similar in length to yourself. The whole thing rides on the size of the D-side conductor feeding your DP (Telegraph Pole etc). Most D-sides will be made up of 0.5/0.4 mm copper, but there are also aluminium cables that could be part of the make up, and these are worst conductors than copper.

So, the folk who say they are getting 5Meg on a line of that length, will most likely be fed via 0.62 and 0.9mm D-side cables. Sorry to be blunt, but that is how it is.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »

Forgot to add, the speedchecker only estimates to the DP ( MainTelegraph Pole or large underground joint). Your actual premises may well be another 500mtrs past this point, so do not believe the speedcheck guesstimates unless you live across from the actual DP.

flyer51

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »

Ah, that is a clearer explanation, thanks.  However, seems to be pointless Plusnet selling a product which can't be delivered.  I guess its back to ADSL2.  :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:53:38 PM »

I guess its back to ADSL2.  :(

In your case ADSL2 and not G.Dmt, ADSL2+ or VDSL2 would be the most appropriate product.  :'(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 03:23:21 PM »

@Flyer51,

Welcome !

I certainly wouldn't contradict either of the two worthies who have pronounced similarly and in line with many others being left "out in the sticks".

It is worth noting that Plusnet have no option but to offer services as estimated by the BT Wholesale checker.
That is normally just a bit on the pessimistic side so we must assume their database is quite inaccurate in your case, unless the line distance estimate you've been given is in error for some reason.

You could do a crude distance check by using Kitz's estimator here but please note her caveats too !

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php

I'm also sending you a PM with one further test.

However there is a remote chance you might improve matters marginally yourself if, and only if, your FTTC is an ECI 128 or 256 AND you have been supplied with an ECI modem.
We have some instances where a substitution of a Huawei EDIT HG612 modem for an ECI one helps on very long lines.
Thanks BKK - fingers problem again !

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:43:45 PM by waltergmw »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »

We have some instances where a substitution of a Huawei HG316 modem . . .

Walter, I believe your wheelbarrow has a significant wobble! There is no such thing as a Huawei HG316 modem -- it actually is an HG612:P
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

flyer51

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »

Thanks again for your inputs.  My modem is indeed a Huawei HG612 and the current Downstream BRAS rate is : 0.62 Mbps. I don't think it's worthwhile going further and will contact Plusnet to revert to ADSL2.

Regards

flyer51

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »

There is also the fact I believe the checker ignores the adsl power cutback.

If there was no power cutback then as lines get longer the speed drop off would remain steady.  however with the power cutback, once no non cutback tones are left to use the speed drop off will be sharp and heavy which I believe is the reason the infinity service doesnt provision lines with estimates below 15mbit.  If the only available tones are those shared with adsl then adsl may be preferable as it gets preferential treatment to signal power, but its not clearcut as adsl also has the E side cable adding to the length.