Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Billion 7800N wireless fault replacement suggestions (and hELLO!)  (Read 5064 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

First of all I would like to say Hi!, not sure why I haven't found this board before now but its nice to be here ..... I am seeking wisdom :)

THE STORY :

By way of introduction I live in the countryside (in the UK) and use ADSL on a fairly noisy line, Zen Internet (hooray!) are my ISP :

Operational Mode   ADSL2+
Upstream   988
Downstream   8803
SNR Margin(Upstream)   5.8
SNR Margin(Downstream)   4.6
Line Attenuation(Upstream)   23.8
Line Attenuation(Downstream)   42.5

I use a Billion 7800N after experimenting in the past with a number of different routers, I have been very happy with its ability to hold on to a connection wihout dropping and maintain a relatively good connection speed (for where I live).  The Broadcom chipset routers I have had (Speedtouch 585 and Billion) have been the only ones which have been able to achieve a reliable connection.  I have flirted unsuccessfully with Netgear 834G and Asus N55U, I really liked the Asus but unless I seriously gimped the speed it couldn't hold a connection. I love Draytek stuff (had a 2600VG years ago) but I believe they are using an Infineon chipset that I worry won't work for me.

THE PROBLEM :

Sadly, my Billion is now showing signs of the wireless burnout issues which appear to plague the design (see here for sadness) - this is annoying as I expect my gear to last a lot longer than 20 months. 

Billion have offered to repair my router and I will probably be sending it to them in January but I have lost faith ....... I will return it for repair in January but the Chunkers clan will be unable to survive without the internet for ANY TIME AT ALL as we are quite geeky.

ADVICE NEEDED :

- Should I go for a budget (backup) ADSL router replacement to tide us over during repairs, if so what? TP-LINK 8960N anyone?
 - With the Billion's health on the slide Should I buy a replacement and keep it as a backup? New Billion 7800 maybe?
 - Perhaps I should use the Billion as a modem (bridge mode) and buy a decent wireless router? Asus RT-AC66U perhaps

I need something that will hang onto my crappy line with comparable speed, 4+ gigabit network ports, decent wireless N or better and good port forwarding to keep the gang happy, I like DD-WRT but not essential.  Sorry for the long first post, maybe I should have stopped at hello!

Cheers big ears!

Chunks

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Billion 7800N wireless fault replacement suggestions (and hELLO!)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 02:57:16 PM »

Have you contacted Billion as they may replace it free of charge with it being so new.

I read that on the Billion forum but not sure what time scale they limit it to but I think you may be in it.

Email support, they will give you instructions on how to get the system log, and email it to them, from this they can diagnose the problem. Mine was a couple of months out of warranty and initially they said they would not fix it under warranty, but after a very cleverly worded email from me, they agreed to fix it foc as a goodwill gesture

billion.uk.com

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:10:04 PM by BritBrat »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 03:06:38 PM »

Have you contacted Billion as they may replace it free of charge with it being so new.

I read that on the Billion forum but not sure what time scale they limit it to but I think you may be in it.

Yes, you are quite right it is still under warranty as it has a 2 years cover which expires in February 2014.  I have been in touch with Billion and they agreed to repair it by fitting a new wireless card, their support has been quite good, I quote "What I suggest we do is that we get your unit back so we can replace the wireless card with a brand new wireless card and this should resolve your wireless issues"

I am going to have to put something temporary in place while its away though and all the reports of faults has undermined my confidence somewhat, hence the email.

10/10 for speedy reply btw!

Cheers

Chunks

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 03:11:53 PM »

You are welcome, stick around this forum is friendly and very helpfull.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:34:07 PM »

- Should I go for a budget (backup) ADSL router replacement to tide us over during repairs, if so what? TP-LINK 8960N anyone?
 - With the Billion's health on the slide Should I buy a replacement and keep it as a backup? New Billion 7800 maybe?
 - Perhaps I should use the Billion as a modem (bridge mode) and buy a decent wireless router? Asus RT-AC66U perhaps

The TP-Link 8960N is a  good performer, and so is the D-Link DSL2740B. Both have the same DSL chipset as the 7800N, but I can't speak for their wireless capability.

If you're considering buying something new, then the best option in my opinion is go for a separate modem and wireless router. Arguably the best modem for DSL speed and stability is the Huawei HG612, which you can get from eBay for a few pounds and flash it with unlocked firmware so it can be used on any ADSL or VDSL2 system. That's the option I use, and I have the HG612 configured as a modem/router with a separate wireless access point.
  Eric

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 05:34:15 PM »

Arguably the best modem for DSL speed and stability is the Huawei HG612, which you can get from eBay for a few pounds and flash it with unlocked firmware so it can be used on any ADSL or VDSL2 system.

Thats interesting, I like the idea of a separate modem and router but have not yet found a standalone Broadcom based unit.  TBH I have never even heard of the Huawei HG612 before today so I will look into it.

Thanks

Chunks