Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Changing from ADSL to FTTC VDSL2  (Read 3495 times)

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
Changing from ADSL to FTTC VDSL2
« on: August 10, 2013, 08:57:21 AM »

I have a VDSL iPlate installed on the NTE5 and a 15 metre Cat5e cable taking the signal to another place in the house where the ADSL router is.  Would changeover to FTTC simply mean that I need to substitute a VDSL2 router (I have a Vigor device in mind) for the ADSL device?

Also would the telephone side of things remain the same as for the ADSL arrangements?
Windows XP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Changing from ADSL to FTTC VDSL2
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »

Yes to all.  :)

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 03:53:24 PM »

Thanks for that.
Windows XP

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »

@ Hake,

Just in case you're unaware you now have a modem and a router.
I prefer to do as you suggest using an ethernet cable to go to the router, but BT do offer a VDSL extension kit so you can place the modem remote from the iPlate NTE5.
Also note that, quite unnecessarily, on a BT suppled service you must use a BT supported HH3 if India are to do remote diagnosis in the future.

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »

I didn't know that ?? I thought all remote diagnosis (apart from PPP Session), was geared towards the modem, not the Hub ?? I know when I perform diagnosis via WHOOSH, it only views the modem.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 05:08:58 PM »

I would tend to agree with you, Mr Sheep. I suspect that Walter had the unfortunate experience of being connected through to some numpty-jobsworth-with-superiority-syndrome, based in India, when attempting to assist in the resolution of an EU's problem.  :-X

It is not necessary to use a router with a FTTC VDSL2 service, be it Beattie's Infinity or that of any other provider.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »

Thank you for clarifying, B*Cat.  :)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »

I recently had an outage with Infinity 2.

The lady in India went through all the usual routines about rebooting the hub and modem which I did. She then ran a test (I know not what) and told me that the HG612 modem was not communicating properly and that was the probable cause of the fault. I was sceptical that the diagnostic tools available to her would be able to accurately determine a modem fault, but she was insistent that the scope of her tests went up to (and included) the modem.

However, when the OR guy arrived a few days later he confirmed that the call centre had diagnosed a faulty modem on his job sheet, and he then demonstrated that the HG612 was indeed toast just as the girl had predicted.

I must say after my previous (very bad) experiences with the Indian call centre I was impressed,

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »

On the back of your good experience (glad to hear of it btw), we do get instances where everything tests OK to our Indian colleagues, but there is an actual fault with the modem. I had one only on Friday, whereby I did a remote test upon receipt of the GEA fault, and everything looked hunky-dory. On site though, it became apparent that the LAN1 LED wasn't lit, therefore the modem was in synch but wasn't pushing the service through to the Hub.

That is why I questioned Walters comments. If they could interact remotely with the Hub, they would have seen it was out-of-synch, but because they can only 'see' the modem, and this was in synch ....... the EU was given the 'charges may be applied' spiel.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »

It is nice to know that in bbn's case the remote call centre had correctly diagnosed the problem.  :)  For those who ponder such things, it could have been determined in either of two basic ways -- (1) the synchronisation status (or not) with the DSLAM (2) via the second VLAN that is configured to/from the modem.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »

It is nice to know that in bbn's case the remote call centre had correctly diagnosed the problem.  :)  For those who ponder such things, it could have been determined in either of two basic ways -- (1) the synchronisation status (or not) with the DSLAM (2) via the second VLAN that is configured to/from the modem.
Well, it's a 50-50% guess. :D (define 'communicating'?)

Hope they're not relying on (2) (Tr069) as that could have been disabled :angel:, especially on a PCP-connect only line. ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:30:00 PM by ColinS »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 11:59:16 PM »

Gentlemen,

You are correct that I was helping an enduser who had the service capped at 15 Mbps. Once we waded through the level 1 help desk and talked to the level 2 she said I must replace the 2 Wire BT Business hub (as it was connecting to the wrong domain) with the original HH3 supplied by BT Retail. I was obliged to do as I was told merely to get the fault process properly underway.

However please note I tend to believe those resident in the UK rather than those in foreign parts !

Kind regards,
Walter