Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cycle Ride.  (Read 1619 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Cycle Ride.
« on: November 01, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »

With the school holidays nearly over we decided to go for a bike ride on Friday., With help from 'Google' I found an off road cycle/walking track from Market Harborough down to Northampton 14 miles, It was an old railway track http://www.nlr.org.uk/history.htm ".
We drove from our home to  Market Harborough and with the help from 'Google and Multimaps satellite view' I found some place to park (free) with toilets near by (a bonus  ;)).

This being an old railway track it's still got  two tunnels; Kelmarsh which was 322 yards long and Oxendon - 462 yards long, we took with us two hand torches which we found out to be not bright enough,so we walked, with no lighting in the tunnels it was dark and I mean cannot see your hand in front of your face dark  :'(, Other people pasted us walking to other way in the tunnel and you could not see them.

My wife being the one to say when she had enough and she did quite well making about 11 mile which made our round trip of 22 mile, not bad for an afternoon ride.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Cycle Ride.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »

Hi Mike,

That sounds like  fun.  I  know that area and have often look at the old track and thought how nice it would be to cycle it.  I walked one of the tunnels many years ago, it was just as you describe it.

- 7LM

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 07:55:14 PM »

Hi.
Next year we will probably do the other part from where we turned around as it was nice area.
We have only just got around to getting a cycle rack for the car this year and have done three other old railway tracks that have been converted into 'linear nature trails'. The cloud trail, nutbrook, monsal.

Does anyone know of any other off road cycle/walk trails in the Midlands. ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 10:28:28 PM »

You could try the High Peak and Tissington Trails, not to far from Monsal Trail. 

This starts at Wirksworth, High Peak T, which goes north to Parsley Hay and beyond towards Buxton.  Going south from Parsley Hay is Tissington T that takes you to Ashbourne.

gom

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 10:08:42 PM »

You could try the High Peak and Tissington Trails, not to far from Monsal Trail. 

This starts at Wirksworth, High Peak T, which goes north to Parsley Hay and beyond towards Buxton.  Going south from Parsley Hay is Tissington T that takes you to Ashbourne.

gom

Noted for next summer  :)  Thanks.