Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Peak times  (Read 2213 times)

kezzaman

• Reg Member
Peak times
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »

Hello,

Just wondered, do peak times affect latency or is it just sync speed ? :-\

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Peak times
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:27:25 PM »

Hmmm ? Good question. My guess is that it would do, but have nothing to substantiate it with. I'm sure some of the 'Router guys' will be better equipped to answer this.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »

I would expect latency to increase at busy times, because busy routers are likely to take longer to pass the packets of data through.
  Eric

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »

Yes, traffic at peak times can, and often does, exceed the capacity of the network at various bottlenecks. This causes packet delay (latency) and at worst, total packet loss.

In practical terms, if packets arrive at a router at a rate faster than they can be serviced, those packets will be queued in a RAM buffer to await servicing. This introduces the delay (aka latency).   If the packet arrival rate continues to exceed the service rate of the router or packet switch, the buffer will eventually fill up, and arriving packets will be lost.

You might ask why the packet buffers aren't bigger, or why the telcos do not provision more switching capacity.  The answer, as ever, is cost.  The dual-ported SRAM used for buffering in a router is the most expensive component. And so "statistical multiplexing" plays a part in network service provisioning, just as it always did in the days of circuit-switched networks:

Picture two neighbouring towns: Alphaville and Betastadt, each with 10,000 households.  If every household in Alphaville decides to simultaneously telephone a (different) household in Betastadt, then the telecom capacity linking the two towns needs to support 10,000 simultaneous calls, to avoid call blocking.

Obviously that scenario never happens, and the bean-counters took advantage of that.

Around 100 years ago, a Danish engineer called Erlang formally modelled telephone call arrival rates, call blocking rates, and so on, and this led to the discipline of queuing theory.

The bean-counters at the telcos soon worked out that they could save huge sums of money by only provisioning capacity for, say, 500 simultaneously calls between Alphaville and Betastadt, since statistically a call arrival rate higher than that occurs only very rarely.

Exactly the same principle is used with packet-switched networks today. However, things have moved on insofar as we also use traffic prioritisation and shaping to further reduce the cost of the switching plant, and to improve Quality of Experience (QOE).

For some network services, e.g. HTTP, packet delay is largely irrelevant.  Moderate latency in HTTP traffic doesn't affect our Quality of Experience. A latency of 100mS in the delivery of HTTP packets holding a web page doesn't spoil the surfer's experience.   However, QOE for VOIP and other 'real time' traffic is very sensitive to latency.   That's why traffic-shaping plays an important role in service provisioning.  Various forms of priorisations at the packet queues are used, based on the service type of the packet.

You are perhaps asking this from a gamer's perspective?

cheers, a

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:12:24 AM »

Thanks for that informative reply Asbo. Some education to be had from that post. :)

kezzaman

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 09:36:03 AM »

Wow nice 1 Asbo, very informative  ;)

Yea i am a gamer and im also on a mission to find out why i have a great connection right after my profile is reset but the days after i dont. So yesterday Talktalk reset my profile and told me to do tracert www.google.co.uk tests during the time when my connection is good then when its bad to compare. They didnt specify a time of day though and i wondered if peak times would have affected anything.

Anyway as soon as i got the email saying my pro was reset i ran a test and then jumped straight onto gears of war 3 and sure enough my connection was excellent.

Heres the results straight after the reset at 3pm

Heres 6 hours later and my gaming connection was getting noticable worse

And then today at 9am although i havent had chance to play yet i imagine my connection is back to its badself

Im going to keep testing for a couple of days before i give talktalk the results.

Cheers guys

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:43:38 AM »

I don't see anything "bad"  there, pings are not always the best tool as servers are usually set so pings are a low priority and response times can be much slower than those for priority traffic.

anything