Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: BT HomeHub 3 -- Wireless Specification  (Read 21163 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
BT HomeHub 3 -- Wireless Specification
« on: June 16, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »

A simple request to those who have such a device or know the answer . . .

What is the wireless specification of the BT HomeHub 3, please? Is it G, N or something else? :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: BT HomeHub 3 -- Wireless Specification
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 06:13:23 PM »

Just set one up this afternoon, easy and good coverage.

Wouldn't talk to an old PC with an antique Belkin wireless adapter though. Wasn't worth investigating as it's headed for the skip.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 12:18:24 AM »

Thank you, TD. That accounts for why I can connect to my neighbour's HH3 at 72Mbps, even though the signal comes through a significant depth of ferro-concrete floor but I connect to my 2Wire 2700HGV or Netgear DG834G at 54Mbps, when the signal traverses three feet of line of sight, clear space.

HP, I would assume, then, that the skip-fodder was possibly no better than B. :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 09:28:16 AM »

Actually the skip-fodder was connecting 54mbps G but wouldn't get an IP address.
I suspect, as I've seen on a number of older adapters, that the hardware isn't up to handling the encryption properly at that speed, so although the drivers etc "think" it works, in practice it doesn't unless you use a lower speed or simpler/no encryption, or both.

But the range was good on other kit. The HH3 was located (temporarily, pending a phone rewiring job) in a far corner of a largish (5-bed?) house and got good coverage everywhere.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:43:56 AM »

Great bit of kit the HH3. Feedback from EU's say they can connect in places they couldn't with previous Hubs/Routers.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 06:03:29 PM »

I've seen good reports, wherever I've looked, w.r.t. the HH3 as the router for FTTC EU equipment.

The only negative report seen resulted from when it had been used as a modem/router for an ADSL2+ connection.

Reading the link TD provided, I see from the BT blurb that the device is supposedly "locked" to the BT provided broadband service. Has anyone checked for that?

After all, it has been stated in many places that the BT Business Hub, a BT badged 2Wire 2700HGV, is supposedly also "locked" to BT provided broadband. Having purchased a boxed, sealed and brand-new BT badged 2Wire 2700HGV from an eBay seller, how come I can use it with my TalkTalk LLU service? (Rhetorical question. ;D ) No "fiddling" was required on my part!

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 06:46:14 PM »

Hi BKC,

For inexplicable reasons (unless BT are too embarrassed to publish their actual FTTC performances ?) I understand that this latest modem has been locked down to provide the bare minimum necessary for a VDSL2 connection.

Perhaps the more adventurous should attempt to by a Vanilla version and explore their connections.
Does anybody know if it, or a similar model, is available in the open market and whether standard firmware in VDSL2 modems will work on BT's FTTC?

Kind regards,
Walter

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »

Hi BKC,

For inexplicable reasons (unless BT are too embarrassed to publish their actual FTTC performances ?) I understand that this latest modem has been locked down to provide the bare minimum necessary for a VDSL2 connection.

Perhaps the more adventurous should attempt to by a Vanilla version and explore their connections.
Does anybody know if it, or a similar model, is available in the open market and whether standard firmware in VDSL2 modems will work on BT's FTTC?

Kind regards,
Walter

Here we are again. Why-oh-why do you think BT are embarrased Walter ?? We have just reached the 5 Millionth EU to subscribe to BTi. Not bad for the ammount of time we have been installing the product.A quote is ..... "We now have over 11,500 NGA cabinets standing in streets up and down the country taking service. And if you think a cabinet just arrives on a van, you plug it in and off you go – think again!" Do they sound like they're "Embarrased", or proud of their real-time achievemnets ????

Whether the VDSL modem is locked-down or not, people ARE taking Infinity up because it's a damned good product. Some folk will NEVER be happy until somebody like 'There's 2 people who work for me. Com', pump out 100 Meg, to Fisherman Steve who lives on Crab Island in the Orkneys. It's NEVER gonna happen Walter. Stop your conspracy theories pal, BT HAVE to be publicly open with their assets, which is more than what the 'Little man' you tend to favour has to  !!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 03:13:46 AM »

. . . I understand that this latest modem has been locked down to provide the bare minimum necessary for a VDSL2 connection . . .

Walter, a BT HH3 can be used as a modem/router on a normal ADSL/ADSL2+ line by connecting it via its ADSL port or it can be used as a router for a FTTC service by connecting the VDSL modem to it via its WAN port. In other words, it can accept two types of "input": (1) ADSL/ADSL2+ or (2) Ethernet. What I am trying to stress is that the HH3 is not just a BT Infinity device.

If you look at the relevent page, you will see that one would cost £91.90 from the BT Shop -- currently delivery is free. As I do not wish to pay that sum just to experiment, perhaps I should ask my neighbour if he would lend me his HH3 when he next goes away for a few days. ;)

[Edited to attach the following image.]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:26:28 AM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 03:44:45 AM »

Whether the VDSL modem is locked-down or not, people ARE taking Infinity up because it's a damned good product.

Mr Pag, I appreciate that the above sentence is taken from your mini-rant as a result of Walter misunderstanding what I had typed but what I am interested in knowing is if the HH3 is somehow "locked" to BT Broadband (the retail broadband service).

It is claimed, in various places, that the Business Hub (the BT provided 2Wire 2700HGV) is "locked" to BT Broadband but I have found, by practical experience, that is not true.

As to the OR VDSL modem, surely that can just be regarded as a two way "translator" (a two headed Babel fish, perhaps) that talks:  VDSL <-----> Ethernet :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 06:57:57 AM »

It is claimed, in various places, that the Business Hub (the BT provided 2Wire 2700HGV) is "locked" to BT Broadband but I have found, by practical experience, that is not true.

I suppose it depends on what one means by 'locked'. The custom BT firmware used in the Business Hub is locked in the sense that the user can't change the login details to a different ISP using the regular configuration pages. To do that you have to go to an unpublished hidden setup page or use other trickery. You can read the full details here.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »

I suppose it depends on what one means by 'locked'. The custom BT firmware used in the Business Hub is locked in the sense that the user can't change the login details to a different ISP using the regular configuration pages. To do that you have to go to an unpublished hidden setup page or use other trickery. You can read the full details here.

Last two sentences first: Thank you for the URL, Eric, however I am well familiar with that site. I read every word before purchasing my brand-new, boxed & sealed, BT badged 2Wire 2700HGV.

Now your previous sentence: "The custom BT . . . regular configuration pages." That was not the case for me! The steps I took, once it was unpacked, were:

(1)  Fit stand.
(2)  Connected power supply.
(3)  Powered it on.
(4)  Left it alone for about half an hour.
(5)  Connected it to my laptop (running RHEL 6) via an Ethernet cable.
(6)  Established a DHCP connection.
(7)  Invoked Firefox.
(8 ) Entered 192.168.1.254 into the address bar.
(9)  Changed the default administration password to something of my own.
(10) Adjusted all the relevant settings, including my TalkTalk login and password details.
(11) Ensured that all changes were saved.

;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »

What firmware version is used on that 2700HGV? I've got two with v6.1.1.48 firmware (the latest as far as I know) and I couldn't change the ISP login details without using the hidden page.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 03:53:23 PM »

That is interesting, as my one has firmware version 6.1.1.48.1-enh.tm.

[ot]
How does one upload and attach an image to a forum post? I'm obviously failing to utter the correct incantation. :help:
[/ot]

Pages: [1] 2 3