Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Can Incoming calls affect ADSL Router?  (Read 40490 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Can Incoming calls affect ADSL Router?
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2011, 12:18:54 AM »

My ISP has arranged for BT OR Boost Enginner visit for Thursday pm. ;D

Excellent news. That's what I've been waiting to read. :)

As I am not a qualified person for such fault-finding matters . . . :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2011, 07:30:28 AM »

Archie ......... contrary to popular belief, HR's are more prevalent on hot, dry days. When it's wet the 'gap' in the HR is 'filled' due to the rain water and as such has a better connection, ie- less resistance.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2011, 07:47:26 AM »

That's true. If rain gets into joints it could cause other problems of course.
  Eric

Archie

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »

Excellent news. That's what I've been waiting to read. :)

As I am not a qualified person for such fault-finding matters . . . :-X

Thanks very much.  We wait and see what happens tomorrow pm.  ;)

Your support and encouragement has helped a lot regardless of qualification or not.  So, thank you.  8)

Archie.

Archie

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2011, 05:09:26 PM »

Archie ......... contrary to popular belief, HR's are more prevalent on hot, dry days. When it's wet the 'gap' in the HR is 'filled' due to the rain water and as such has a better connection, ie- less resistance.  :)

[/quote]
That's true. If rain gets into joints it could cause other problems of course.

Duely noted, razpag & roseway.  Thanks for help and encouragement.

I am very pleased that I came on this forum for help.  It has been very invalueable.  ;)

Today it has been cloudy but warm and have had 2 disconnections already, one of which was due to incoming call.  These are the 2 that I know of.  There could have been more during my absence!!!! :(

We wait and see how we fare tomorrow pm.

Cheers,
Archie.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »

If the engineer is adamant that there are no HR's or any kind of network fault causing the problem, ask him if he can persuade the SP to do a 'Lift & Shift'.

Archie

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2011, 06:54:37 PM »

If the engineer is adamant that there are no HR's or any kind of network fault causing the problem, ask him if he can persuade the SP to do a 'Lift & Shift'.

Thanks for the hint, razpag

Archie.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2011, 01:40:51 AM »

Today it has been cloudy but warm and have had 2 disconnections already, one of which was due to incoming call.  These are the 2 that I know of.  There could have been more during my absence!!!! :(

If you have routerstats running constantly in the background, you would be able to spot the disconnections from the graphs or logs. A clear indication would be both the SNRM and sync speed both dropping to zero for a significant number of seconds.

Don't confuse a sharp downward spike in either graph as a disconnection. A downward spike can occur when the router is performing a task at precisely the same moment when routerstats attempts to interrogate it. 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Archie

« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »

Hello burakkucat ,

Thank you.  Iam running the RouterStat now.  Have had 2 disconnections during the night.

Archie.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »

Hi
Both of these showed a change in synch rate and or SNR margin ?
Regards Jeff
zen user

Archie

« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »

Hello jeffbb,

Yes, it did increase the SNRM and lowered the speeds, both up and down.  This expected as DLM thinks that the line is unstable, which in fact is the case with my line.

Regards,
Archie.

Archie

« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2011, 08:14:06 PM »

Hi Guys,

UPDATE

As you know I had BT OR Boost Engineer visiting me today pm.  It did not happen.  I had a call from the supervisor at OR to say that the engineer is currently sorting his last call and will be coming to me after he has sorted it.  At 17.15 I had a call from the engineer that as he had not finished with his last call can he come tomorrow am.  I said it was fine with me, as I want to get the issue sorted.

He suggested that first thing tomorrow morning he will give me different pair of copper from the d side and hoped that would sort it. He also asked me to monitor the line as from tomorrow.  He will come and see me after the pair swap anyway.  If that fails, he will have to carry out the lift and shift and he would inform my ISP of his actions and I do not have to worry about that side of things.  GREAT  ;D

In the mean time, overnight, he would try and organise test equipment at the exchange to monitor my current line.

So, tomorrow is the day to wait for.  ;)

Regards,
Archie.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2011, 09:12:49 PM »

Hi
quote :Yes, it did increase the SNRM and lowered the speeds, both up and down. This expected as DLM thinks that the line is unstable,

The changes are quite normal .not just because the line is unstable . The SNR margin is negotiated between the router and the DSLAM during the connection process . Depending on the current noise on the line then a resynch will show either an increase in SNR margin to match the Target SNR ,if the line is noisier than the last resynch so reducing the synch rate . The SNR margin can go down giving an    increase in Synch rate if the current line noise is less than the noise at the previous resynch .

The main reason I asked is that it confirms They were genuine resynchs .
Regards Jeff

zen user

Archie

« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »

Yes, jrffbb.  You are correct, they were genuine resyncs.

Archie.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2011, 09:34:54 AM »

Hi Guys,

UPDATE

As you know I had BT OR Boost Engineer visiting me today pm.  It did not happen.  I had a call from the supervisor at OR to say that the engineer is currently sorting his last call and will be coming to me after he has sorted it.  At 17.15 I had a call from the engineer that as he had not finished with his last call can he come tomorrow am.  I said it was fine with me, as I want to get the issue sorted.

He suggested that first thing tomorrow morning he will give me different pair of copper from the d side and hoped that would sort it. He also asked me to monitor the line as from tomorrow.  He will come and see me after the pair swap anyway.  If that fails, he will have to carry out the lift and shift and he would inform my ISP of his actions and I do not have to worry about that side of things.  GREAT  ;D

In the mean time, overnight, he would try and organise test equipment at the exchange to monitor my current line.

So, tomorrow is the day to wait for.  ;)

Regards,
Archie.

Sounds good Archie, apart from the last bit ??!! There is no kit we can fit in the exchange to monitor the DSL part of your circuit. The 'monitoring' if you like is permanently happening via your ISP's equipment. We can ask for a historical view of performance from the ISP, via their RRT and Radius Logs.

The only way to 'monitor' the DSL circuit in the exchange, would be to completely disconnect the whole of the network side (by pulling the fuses), and connect a Hub/Router directly onto the MDF wiring, as every circuit can only have the one Hub/Router connected to it. This would leave you without both DSL and phone services, and would only serve to prove if the ISP's equipment was faulty.

I may be missing a trick here, or mis-interpreted what he means, but there will be NO monitoring of you DSL circuit done in the exchange. Believe me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

anything