Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VCI 40 & MER in Sagem router  (Read 2287 times)

sand_danser

• Just arrived
VCI 40 & MER in Sagem router
« on: June 24, 2011, 08:18:17 AM »

Hello, it's been a good few years since I was last here and I must say that the site is now massive and build wise is beautiful so well done   8)  I love the new tools too  8)

I've come back in here as I need some help with a clients connection issue. They moved house although a tad closer to the local exchange and the sky conn. was fine previously but in the new house the conn. is definitely choked. I set up a new router for them as posted out by sky and witnessed the VCI change from 38 to 40 after setup & reboot and also the protocol is now MER and not PPPoA.
My guess is that SKY are changing this at the exchange but I need to be sure prior to ripping out phone lines under carpets etc. All filters and cables are new & seem fine. The phone line works & the conn. seems to be stuck at 128k both up & down & the ping is 604 (yes that's 604, lol)

It's been a good while since I went out to set up a router as they all come idiot proof these days so am I missing something or is there something new I've missed like this MER roll out maybe?

TIA

Andy

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: VCI 40 & MER in Sagem router
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »

. . . witnessed the VCI change from 38 to 40 after setup & reboot and also the protocol is now MER and not PPPoA.
My guess is that SKY are changing this at the exchange . . .

I'm not a Sky user but from what I have read, yes, your guess is correct. :) There is, apparently, one fly in the proverbial ointment and it is, with those changes, EUs are unable to extract their login credentials from the modem/router by the currently established method -- if they wish to use a modem/router other than that provided by Sky. :(

. . . phone lines under carpets etc.

Not a good idea as, I'm sure, you know. :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.