Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AV-Comparitives release new 2011 test results  (Read 4967 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
AV-Comparitives release new 2011 test results
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:55:15 PM »

AVC have released their very latest on-demand test results for Anti-Virus programs

this suite consisted of 400,000 infection samples

similar picture other than Avira slips from its usual 99% standing to about 97% and Norton drops even further from about 97% to 95% from last tests...

DETECTION RATES % OF 403,000 SAMPLES
1. G DATA - 99.8%
2. Trustport - 99.2%
3. Avast - 98.4%
4. Panda / F-secure - 98.1%
5. Qihoo - 97.9%
6. BitDefender - 97.6%
7. Avira / ESET - 97.5%
8. eScan - 97.4%
9. Kaspersky - 97.0%
10. McAfee - 96.8%
11. Microsoft - 95.8%
12. Norton - 95.5%
13. Trend Micro - 94.4%
14. Sophos - 94.1%
15. PC Tools - 92.8%
16. AVG - 91.4%
17. Webroot - 85.5%
18. K7 - 84.4%

find and read the test results and conclusion here -> http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/detection-test
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: AV-Comparitives release new 2011 test results
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »

Hi and welcome
Thanks for the info  :)
Regards Jeff
zen user

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:57:34 PM »

Hey snadge ..... nice informative post pal. Glad you finally paid Kitz a visit, especially as you'll be busy running your own site. Kitz will benefit from your wisdom.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:28:45 PM »

it just shows how these tests can give very different pictures... in the other Mar 11 test, norton came out looking like it walked on water ...... still never have it anywhere near one of my machines though ;)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 01:21:02 PM »

it just shows how these tests can give very different pictures... in the other Mar 11 test, norton came out looking like it walked on water ...... still never have it anywhere near one of my machines though ;)

hi GJ

Yeah they are different tests though... the DYNAMIC test (which Norton scored high in) tests the product as a whole, they score it on its capability's to protect you from all sources of infections like firewalling, url blocking, spam, p2p, instant messaging, heuristics etc... whereas the 'detection rate' test it recently scored lower than normal in just tests its ability's to detect infections by signature, this doesn't test firewall, url blocking, spam etc etc etc - im not defending Norton at all, but what I DO try to defend is when people say the tests are rubbish and mean nothing (of course you havent said that but others do..) they dont realise each test is different and think that tests done around the same time are completely different in results when they are actually different types of test, you wouldnt test detection then test firewall and if a product is good on one and not the other this wouldnt mean the tests are useless and inconsitent? it just means its good at one and not the other - ive never noticed such inconsistencies , maybe tests repeated in next session few months later but thats what they are testing them for..performance over time... e.g. if they test in Nov 2010 and AV1 scores great, then in MAR2011 it scores low - that doesnt mean the tests are rubbish and prove nothing, it means that anti-virus they tested has dropped in its abilities to detect/protect and why we should be thankfull we have these results to compare them with so we can always have the best protection :)

some people may say "yeah but there are different testing websites/companies and some show differing results" - what I would say to those people is, check back when they all use the same criteria for testing...
...a lot of the testing companies only use a few hundred infected samples and test & score differently... I prefer AV Comparatives because they use MILLIONS of infected samples and therefore give a better example of what is good detection, yeah their last test was only 400,000 (only...!! most other testing companies get nowhere near that amount) but I have seen them use 2.3million samples in some tests just last year...

at mo im using Avast Internet Security 6.0 and I think its great, I cant believe how light it is on the system for a full IS suite.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »

ey up snadgemeister ;)

a well-constructed and considered post, if I may say so :)   I too like the AVC tests for being about as independant as I've seen for such tests, however as with any test like this, it's always going to depend on what the test set of malware is. If they added the system resoures used by product, that would help :)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »

ey up snadgemeister ;)

a well-constructed and considered post, if I may say so :)   I too like the AVC tests for being about as independant as I've seen for such tests, however as with any test like this, it's always going to depend on what the test set of malware is. If they added the system resoures used by product, that would help :)

y'allrite GJ ;)

thats why I prefer AVC cos they use millions or at least several hundred thousand which shows a better result - these companies that test with "65" infections or few hundred or a thousand are just wasting their time IMO

they do have a test that shows system resources :)
see on the main page they have a whole barrage of tests
http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews

the best thing to do would be to read a few tests/reviews and make a weighted decision as to which one is best.. a lot of people rely on VirusBulletin , they give out the VB100 seal of approval if your product detects the top 100 most common infections (at that time) without any false positives which is handy and nice to have but doesnt in no way mean it a good reliable AV... just take a look at some of the products that have the award!! same says for some of the ones that dont!!!

Like I say the best thing to do is read a few reliable test results and make a weighted decision as to which is best... the only thing I disagree with AVC doing is when they test the suites they turn them all up high which is NOT the default settings... heuristics on high , PUP's on etc - so you wont get the same scope of protection unless you too set them all on high
PERFORMANCE http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/performance/performance_dec_2010.pdf
Avast does really well scoring 'very-fast' on all parts of the test

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:36:06 PM by snadge »