Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SKY - Anyone here using the ISP?  (Read 7998 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
SKY - Anyone here using the ISP?
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:48:07 PM »

I have just noticed my exchange has SKY LLU according to Samknows and Sky checker.

So what are they like?

Great news - you're in a Sky Broadband network area, so you can choose from Sky Broadband Everyday Lite or Unlimited. You can also benefit from free evening and weekend UK* landline calls with Sky Talk and you'll save £5 per month on Sky Broadband with any Sky Talk calls package.

I have resisted TalkTalk for ages.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:51:28 PM by BritBrat »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: SKY - Anyone here using the ISP?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »

I put my parents on Sky a few years ago. 

The adsl is ok, although their latency is quite high (90ms to the BBC) as interleaving is turned on by default. 
You can actually request for the depth of interleaving to be reduced.

If they say 2Mb then they actually mean sync at 2000 kbps which obviously means throughput will be less than this.  Most other ISPs allow some sort of overhead for sync to throughput.
Its not impossible, but generally speaking you have to use their supplied router.

Support is typical large company with 1st line being scripted.   Had fun once trying to get a router replaced until I got through to TS  (funny story on that one because I insisted it was the router and then it dawned on the guy who I was).   
It may be unlucky but Ive known 2 of their sagem routers give up the ghost after about 2 years use, (my brothers packed in the week before xmas) so you could be without adsl for about a week whilst they send the replacement through.

-------------

I find the worst thing about their full LLU service is that it can sometimes seems to take them ages to swap you over.   They use their own sky engineers to hook up the adsl service, who wont do it until at least  a week after the phone.

For example my daughter ordered the full service in Nov '99.   BT did their bit and they had phone by Dec..  but it was end Jan early Feb before they actually got their adsl service.
Same thing happened to my friends daughter Leigh in about Aug this year.  BT disconnected their service, but was 2 months before they got adsl.

:( :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »

Now you are scaring me, I would hate to be without a net sevice for even a day not weeks.

If people are not on LLU service it seems to be the worst service you can get from any other ISP or so I have read.

As for router I would use theirs for a bit then try and extract user name and pass/mac and try and set up a spare or use one of my own, I know it is against T&C but supplied router is only wirless G.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »

Just to add what Kitz has said,my niece had Sky install her a phone line in September,it was 2 weeks later that her Sky LLU broadband went live.She got so fed up with phoning them to find out what was happening.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 06:57:38 PM »

I don't want to move phone just take up broadband.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 09:54:06 PM »

Sky now appear to be offering the broadband only deal to "Customers in Sky's network area" which obviously implies LLU.
I presume they have done this because of the demise of UKO and fill a gap in their market.

http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-only/

I dont honestly know how long that particular type of migration will take.. but the average downtime for FMPF sky LLU is about 2-4 weeks. 
Certainly a minimum of 2 weeks.
If the line remains with BT then IMO it should be classed as SMFP and could be quicker.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 09:01:58 AM »

When you say down time do you mean no connection at all or just the time for it to change over.

It would not worry me how long it took so long as I still had net acccess.

But I think when I get my MAC I will use it straight away in the hope of giving them more time (30 days).

What does FMPF and SMFP stand for?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:04:50 AM by BritBrat »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 09:17:38 AM »

FMPF - Full Metallic Path Facility.  Type of LLU provision where both the voice line and adsl is provisioned by a Telco other than BT.  Also known as Fully Unbundled.

SMPF - Shared Metallic Path Facilities. LLU where the ISP provides broadband only.

With thanks to the Kitz glossary.. :)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 10:06:40 AM »

Thanks, I did try Google before asking.

And that makes things a bit clearer for me.  I must sound like I have never migrated before but I have BT - Zen - O2 - Plusnet - Zen and never had any issues but they have all been non LLU systems.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:42:06 PM by BritBrat »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 10:56:23 AM »

I know its not Sky,but when I left BT for O2(LLU)My connection was only down around 90 minutes.My BT connection went down around 9.30 am and then I received a text from O2 to  say my new connection was live.I then just connected my O2 router and was up and running straight away.

Surely Sky will work on a similar timescale?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »

@ Unc,

I suspect not,as your O2 connection is almost certainly a SMPF which BT Openreach are less reluctant about compared with a FMPF service.
I observe that if a different Communications Provider is taking both the broadband and phone fees, then by some strange procedure it seems to take much longer to establish the services, even though they charge much more for the line rental.

Kind regards,
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 03:29:07 PM »

@ Unc,

I suspect not,as your O2 connection is almost certainly a SMPF which BT Openreach are less reluctant about compared with a FMPF service.
I observe that if a different Communications Provider is taking both the broadband and phone fees, then by some strange procedure it seems to take much longer to establish the services, even though they charge much more for the line rental.

Kind regards,
Walter

So that looks good for what I want to do.

Sky LLU Broadband
BT Line rental
CPS to Primus

I also use BT for some calls by using the override code and also 18185.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:40:03 PM by BritBrat »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 05:28:47 PM »

Everything was OK and here is the time line/results:

Order Date - 06/01/2011
Migration - from Zen MAXdsl
Router Arrived - Dispatched 07/01/2011 - Arrived  10/01/2011
Connection Due - 14/01/2011
Actually Connected - 14/01/2011
Up sync speed - (Day 1: 605 kbps) (Day 2: 945 kbps) (Day 3 945 kbps)
Down sync speed - Sky estimate 8 -10 Mb (Day1: 4095 kbps) (Day 2: 8762 kbps) (Day 3 10346 kbps Line training started)
Line Training: Started 15/1/2011 ended 23/1/2011 Result: (down 8192Kb) (Up 800Kb)
Distance from the exchange - Direct 0.78 miles / Road: 1.1 miles
Line Attenuation - 32.0 db

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 06:49:18 PM »

Excellent.. thank you for reporting back  :)
Im glad it all went ok for you and went smoothly just like most other SMPF migrations and down-time was minimal. :thumbs:

It seems to be the FMP LLU that causes all the problems.  My daughter moved in Dec. Just like last time, Sky are still faffing around.. and she still has no connection.  Gawd knows why it takes them so long.  Last time I spoke to them they said they were waiting on their own engineer to visit the exchange which is now booked for Monday.  We shall see.

It does seem to be he FMP migrations with Sky and TT that seem to take forever :(
-----

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 07:50:14 AM »

She is not alone as others on the Skyuser forum have the same problem.

It seems to be if you have a BT line rental and you want to move broadband and phone over do the broadband first then the phone later.

I am not sure what happens if you do not have a BT line and or already on a LLU phone service or what ever it is called.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:04:51 PM by BritBrat »
Pages: [1] 2

anything