Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another AVG question....  (Read 2477 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Another AVG question....
« on: December 09, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »

Hi again,

I have got AVG 8.5, bought and installed for 2 yrs in June 2009 so in effect it expires in June 2011.  I have Win XP OS service pack 3 et al.  I am now getting up a box telling me to download and install AVG 2011 as my AV runs out on 16th December and "you won't be protected after that date".

I have emailed customer services at AVG but not reply as yet and now I am wondering wth I need to do as obviously I don't want to be without my AV IF it means that.  I still occasionally get the AVG Tray Monitor box wanting to access the internet which I allow now (see my other thread)....so I'm not sure if this has any bearing on it or the download box for AVG 2011 is just summat that is happening separate to that.

Being a technophobe idiot  ??? I'm not au fait with these things (as previous posts of mine will confirm)....so can anyone help me out as to what I should do....or not....seeing that I thought my PC would be fully protected until June 2011.

Thanks in advance for any help....I sure as hell need it....sigh.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Another AVG question....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »

Hi Chrissie,

Not trying to put the mockers on things but AVG 2011 is getting a lot of poor reviews.

Have a read here over @ the C/A forums

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/showthread.php?t=210611

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209280

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209313

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209070

The general consensus is ditch AVG and either download Avast or MSE(Microsoft Security Essentials),both free versions.

And then download Malwarebytes free version(I have this and if I can use it it...... ;D )

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 05:09:35 PM »

Not wishing to doubt your advice UncleUB but I have used AVG for years and using AVG11 Free Edition now for a few months and have had no problems at all. It may well be that other free programs are less resource hungry but with a fastish modern processor and selecting which folders to scan it works fine for me. Many years ago I used McAfee and that slowed everything down and reports from friends who have Norton report the same problem. Probably most of the free antivirus programs out there will perform adequately if they install without hitches and they don't have to fight with another antivirus program already installed.

Tony

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 06:01:33 PM »

Not wishing to doubt your advice UncleUB

Hi Tony.  :)

I myself have never used it,but I do follow threads over at C/A with interest,so I just though I would post the links for the OP to digest.

Many years ago I used McAfee and that slowed everything down

And I myself use McAfee and don't have any problems,so its a case of what does for one doesn't do for another.  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 05:42:15 PM »

Interesting debate and some food for thought for Chrissie and other AVG users, however I think Chrissie may want a more direct answer to her problem.

Chrissie, somewhere in your AVG gui will be a page showing your version number etc. and  which is the expiry date of your installed version.

That date is the one to work to.....the pop-ups are possible just a sales scam from AVG..........check that date and let us know. 

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 11:33:41 AM »

Thanks everyone for your comments and links but yes TD I did really need a bit more re the question I posed and thank you for helping out.  I now know that the 8.5 version that I bought and had someone instal for me will not be supported after the 16th so I need to download the 2011 version  :o  Annoying to think I am going to have to do it as I have just had an email reply from AVG telling me how to do it...scream....I KNOW I will get it wrong.  I think what I shall do is wait for that info box to appear again and click on "install now" and hope it does it all for me.  The email I rec'd was comprehensive but told me to uninstall my version first  :o :no: and then download the new version and it will give me a new license number etc etc....oh if only I knew things re computers.

Anyway, many thanks to all for the help, I will deffo look into other AV's when this one expires next year (that's if I can get it to do the new version  :D), it's so helpful all this advice and the links, I really appreciate it, thanks everyone.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:32:36 PM »

Bit late, I know, but during my day-to-day work I got chatting to one of the customers who's house I was working in, and we ended up on the subject of AVG.

We both agreed it had served a purpose over the years without any qualms, but when I mentioned my PC was running slow, he recommended uninstalling AVG and installing Avast in its place. After further investigation I did so, and I have to say, my PC is running a whole lot quicker !!!!

I was completely pro-AVG until this chance conversation.

anything