Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AVG Tray Monitor  (Read 2696 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
AVG Tray Monitor
« on: November 29, 2010, 07:29:03 AM »

Twice recently (this morning the second time) my Tray Monitor.exe in AVG 8.5 (bought version) has asked to access the internet and I've blocked it because I'm not sure what it is doing and because AVG has never "asked" before.  It is trying to connect to 213.155.157.48:80 which I found out is RIPE data base or summat in Cambridge UK.  Can anyone please tell me why it should be doing this and what it is trying to do please?  (Wonder if it's going to a Christmas party and doesn't want me tagging along  ;))  Seriously though, I'm not sure what to do about this and if it happens again whether I should still block it.

I have Win XP OS and IE 7

Thanks
Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: AVG Tray Monitor
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 07:51:28 AM »

That IP address is owned by Akamai International in Cambridge Massachusetts. I don't know much about them, but they're a genuine internet company, and the BBC use them for streaming iPlayer material, so I don't think this is anything dodgy. But I have no idea what relationship they have with AVG.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: AVG Tray Monitor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 08:06:42 AM »

AVG Grisoft use various Akamai servers as updating "mirrors" on their paid-for program as and when their own servers get congested, and thus it will be ok to allow access.

See here  http://www.ehow.com/how_7361462_avg-8_5-won_t-update.html