Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is Netgear DG834G-3ALUKS Ver3 locked to AOL  (Read 9829 times)

graevine1

• Reg Member
Is Netgear DG834G-3ALUKS Ver3 locked to AOL
« on: March 10, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »

if so then this may be a problem that a friend of mine has that has bought this router off the magical "E site on the beach". In fact shes' bought two of them, and it would save me a trip to her house, wouldnt be so bad if she could cook, but thats life I guess!!!

Any help appreciated if they are locked and any pointers to the unlock if possible.
They are DG834G Version3 . Not point in asking me any questions as she admits to having difficulty to give get a mains plug to fit in a socket !!!! Thanks in anticipation.

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Is Netgear DG834G-3ALUKS Ver3 locked to AOL
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 12:59:09 PM »

Is the router any different to a regular DG834 v3?

A google search seems to bring up 3ALUKS as a standard model.

If this is the case it should not be locked to AOL. And if it were,  it will only be locked in firmware, which could be replaced by a standard version from Netgear, provided it allows you to upgrade the firmware.

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 01:23:02 PM »

Thanks SOMS so much fort your interest.
I posted the question as I hoped to get the answer prior to going to her house which is some little distance away. I wouldnt mind so much if there was a take-away near. Shes a super vege, and does wierd things with veg. So if I know the answers before I go, I could make it one quick visit which will turn out to be two or more if I have to leave one of my spare routers if that is the problem.

I felt certain that someone on this site would have used one of these ex AOL netgears prior to my visit. Just trying to take the easy route !!!!!
Thanks again
Sorry didnt answer your question, Its a version 3 which I know , but am unsure if AOL have "got at it" and it needs some trick to flash it. I know nothing yet as I have not seen the router she has!
My version 3 is really quite a super bit of kit especially with Routerstats.
Just hoping to save a trip etc thats all. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 01:30:46 PM by graevine1 »

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 01:49:30 PM »

Flash it with the new version and this should allow you to use it.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 03:24:35 PM »

Thanks Leo, but I dont want to go over there and find a router that is not a 10Min job. I was hoping someone on the site had used one of these ex AOL routers and had a definate answer. I also dont want to travel over and have to leave one of my spare Routers and then have to return to another Vegan dinner!!!! to collect it. Hope you are keeping OK.
Have a great day

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 03:44:31 PM »

I'm not really clued up on AOL and their routers but perhaps this may be of help:

http://tinyurl.com/2n9mq5

dave  8)

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 03:51:16 PM »

Thank you Dave, We need a bit of Humour in life makes the boring parts of the day go a bit quicker.
Im lucky that I dine in the best Restaurant in the World one or two days a week and I do the cooking at least two days a week.
I do like salads & veg but simply cant stand mucked up Vegan so called food, but I eat it when diplomacy dictates.
Thanks again for the spirited pages.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 04:59:52 PM »

Theyre not locked that Im aware of... or at least they werent last year.
Its normally the AOL specific software thats installed on the PC which causes the problem/conflict with some routers.

You should still be able to access the router via the normal interface, if its the AOL software on the PC thats causing the problem then you could always show her how to use another browser such as FF or even IE.

You may also be interested in this - AOL router set-up.
The router can also be flashed with normal netgear upgrades.

The other thing to bear in mind if shes having a hiccup with her connection..   
AOL are currently being "moved" on to the TT network..  and there have been problems with "down time" - some users reporting a couple of days :/

Its important to make sure the router config is correct - eg VMux etc.. 
and something else that often affects AOL/TT users is MTU of 1400
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »

Thanks Kitz Shes not with AOL but has purchased two netgear routers version 3 off Ebay . One for her and one for her daughter.

I was asking the question when she told me what she had purchased so as to be prepared before I had to make the journey over to the house.

I can now tell you that the routers were both as I stated and had version 4.01.06 of the firmware. I had on my USB memory stick Version 4.01.28 and the good news is they flashed a treat.

I can therefore confirm to all that Netgear DG834G Version3 labeled as DG834G-3ALUKS will flash up and work normally. Soon I will bring both of them up to the latest version of Netgear Firmware, but I am retisant to give out the BETA version that I have to others until it ios officialy released.

I also loaded Routerstats Version 2.8j so as her machine is on all the time we will see the condition of her line and quality of service as far as we are able.

She is a happy bunny and my stomach is saved having returned home for real food.
All are therefore happy and the information is as above for all to see. Thanks all.

JohnnyD

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 09:12:20 AM »

Hi, This version of dg834, is it a v3,4 or 5  ie what chipset has it, and will it run dgteam firmware and dmt?

Best Regards

John Devine

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 09:32:44 AM »

This is a very old thread, John. At the time, the V4 and V5 versions of DG834 didn't exist, so it would be a V3, which used the old AR7 chipset. There is DGTeam firmware for DG834v3, and this would presumably work with this particular model, but there isn't as far as I know a version of DMT which will work with it. If you're thinking of tweaking the target noise margin, I'm afraid that this can't be done with AR7-based routers.
  Eric

JohnnyD

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 09:38:17 AM »

Ok many thanks for the quick response, it was for the noise tweak  ;)

JD

anything