Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A few more photos  (Read 2099 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
A few more photos
« on: August 06, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »

At the risk of exposing myself to ridicule, here are a few recent efforts, taken at Samphire Hoe:

The chalk cliffs

A fast boat going past

A young herring gull

The young gull taking off

Young gull in the sea

Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: A few more photos
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 07:58:31 PM »

No ridiculing from me Eric.
The shots I like are No.1 & No.3
I would like to see just a touch more blue in the sky in No.1. I know there is some there, however a touch deeper hue and it would really make the scene. That's just my opinion.
No.3 Is just fine for me, I like the depth of field. The subject nicely in focus and the background going out of focus. I like this one.
The other two are mediocre for someone of you natural talent. Nothing wrong with them, they don't move me like the others.
Well done for showing them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:16:07 PM by silversurfer44 »
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 09:41:40 AM »

I understand and agree with ss44's comment about the washed out sky in the "chalk cliff" image.

This is a good example of the difficulty in photographing a landscape in bright summer sun.
The sky is very much brighter than the ground.......there is something like a three stop difference between the two and that
is way out of the dynamic range of the film and/or sensor so that the camera cannot give an ideal exposure value for both
land and sky at the same time.
The camera will try and either decide which is the predominant tonal value,( or will try to average them out and come up
with a horrible looking compromise)
You then get (if you expose for the ground) nice ground but washed out sky, or (if you expose for the sky) a good sky but
with a dark and underexposed ground..

What to do..?

Well if you have a darkroom and are using film, then a bit of dodging and burning during printing will go a long way to help,
or if you are shooting digitally, then some fiddling in Photoshop may just help and may just rescue the image.
However, the best way is to do as much "in camera" as you can ( the more you can do in camera the less you have to do in
Photoshop..always the best option) to try and reduce the brightness contrast and bring the two within the same dynamic
range.
The best way to do this is to spend some money and get yourself a set of high quality ND Grad filters to attach to the front
of the lens. Neutral Density Graduated Filter.
 Set in a holder screwed into the filter thread on the lens, these filters can be rotated and adjusted  vertically which allows
you to lay a suitable grey "screen" over the sky and align the gradations along the horizon.

Good quality are Lee ( expensive ) or Hitech ( not so pricey but still very good).....avoid the cheapo Jessops and Cockin ones
they tend to put a purple cast over the image.

If you don't want to spend money on filters....there is a free method of improving the situation if you are using
digital..although it does mean more work in Photoshop.
That is.............expose for the brighter areas in the image, meaning the sky and not the ground even if the ground is the
larger area in the frame.
Get the sky right and let the ground go hang........You will get a perfectly exposed sky but a very underexposed ground..
then into Photoshop where dodging in dark/underexposed areas will always give a better result than trying to burn out
overexposed areas. Indeed, if the overexposure in a digital image is extreme there may be no data at all..no pixels to
adjust.

There now...TD's Rant of the Day  ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:05:18 AM »

Nice photo's Eric  :)

At the risk of exposing myself to ridicule, here are a few recent efforts, taken at Samphire Hoe:

Not at all,photography is a steep learning curve,but the main thing is you get great enjoyment from taking the photo's.

I love taking landscape shots and just try my best to make them look ok.Its also nice to have those photo's of nice places you have visited kept on your pc or whatever as a memory of all the places you visit. :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 10:30:07 AM »

You are quite right, unkyUb,........enjoying taking the images, getting the shot and keeping the memories are all more important that the technical aspects.
No use missing a shot because you are fiddling with settings or trying to remember a bit of theory.

Get the shot and enjoy.. :thumbs:

I've been doing this so long now that the tech. and theory parts are  inbred...don't have to think about it...but I just like to rant on about the theory as it may help others to enjoy their snapping even more.. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »

Thanks for the comments. As always TD, your advice is very welcome. I think the 'expose for the sky' option is what I'll try next time I have a subject like that. I don't have Photoshop of course, but I'm sure that Gimp will do this sort of job very well (once I've learned how to use it :) )
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:51:35 AM »

Just add I always try and take TD's excellent advice on board..

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »

Lovely to see your photos Eric.  Know Samphire Hoe and like it there very much, nice to see some great pics from there thank you.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 11:32:29 AM »

Super photos Eric..  I particularly like the herring gull take off shot ... I like the shadow underneath him  (I like quirky things like shadows :)  )   ....

Lots more useful tips from TD which are now in my file named  'TD's  PhotoTips'

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 08:32:55 PM »

I don't have Photoshop of course, but I'm sure that Gimp will do this sort of job very well (once I've learned how to use it :) )

Well I am now using Gimp instead of Photoshop and so far I've managed to do everything I need in Gimp. As PS it does have a steep learning curve.

What camera is that Eric?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 10:34:01 PM »

It's a Sony A230. Those photos were all taken using a Sigma DG 70-300 lens.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 06:23:24 PM »

Excellent pics eric..  although I hate seagulls...  I do like the one of the young one about to take flight.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything