Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky dg934, oops! Did I brick it?  (Read 3759 times)

ginguskahn

• Just arrived
Sky dg934, oops! Did I brick it?
« on: June 17, 2010, 04:22:25 AM »

Hi all,
just attempted to flash my Sky router (black one) as per the guide on this site, however as I have flashed a fair few hundred routers in my time, thinking I was the bees knees I failed to read the end of the guiide. I'm running Win7 so the flash recovery util blue screened my comp half way through the flash. Now when I power up the router I get rapidly flashing power and activity lights, alternating with all 4 LAN lights. Also when I connect to the Ethernet port my comp won't even recognise a cable is connected.

It's not serious as this isn't my main router, but I'm guessing it's a paper weight now?

Any help (or laughter for my arrogance) much appreciated :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Sky dg934, oops! Did I brick it?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 07:26:56 AM »

If you've got access to a Linux machine, then nftp is the best unbricking solution, otherwise you could try the Netgear recovery utility with an XP machine. There's some advice here.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 07:29:59 AM »

Does the router have a reset button, one that you push with a tooth pick? If it does you may be able to reset it to factory settings. I'm not sure on that model but on other Netgears, if you disconnect the power supply plug, hold the reset button in and reconnect the power supply whilst holding the button in it should reset to factory settings. A couple of the led's will flash to let you know it is working.
That's as I understand things. Might be worth a try.
And of course there is Roseway's way who posted whilst I was typing this one.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 08:23:40 AM »

I experienced exactly the same thing myself a few days ago With Win 7.  The DG934G remained in flash recovery mode after a power cycle (hence the flashing lights) and I simply connected to an XP machine, ran through the process and it flashed correctly.

I didn't try at the time but I've a feeling that with Windows 7 if you set the programs to run in XP compatibility mode it may work (I think I managed this with Vista previously).

ginguskahn

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 04:36:26 PM »

Hi guys, thanks for the info.

I have not tried on an XP machine yet, I will, but given that the network card in my win 7 machine won't even show as having a cable plugged in at this point I don't hold out to much hope, I don't think it's stuck in flash mode, this is a different combo of LEDs, I think it's stuck in not having ANY firmware mode :p

I tried the reset button shinnanigans but to no avail :(

I don't have a Linux box set up right now but I do have a spare machine and I do need to brush up on my Linux so I will have a good read of those other sites and give it a go when I hve some spare time. As it's not my main router it's more of a project at this point :)

thanks again for the suggestions!

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 06:42:56 PM »

It does not seem to work with Windows 7 as I tried it the other day.

But I did make a mistake by not putting it into recovery mode first so it may work with windows 7.

I just fired up an XP machine and did it first go.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 05:00:06 PM »

ginguskahn
On a DG834GT which was a Sky job bought on EBay I had problems with the reset button. The manual says hold it in for seven seconds but I found that it needed to be depressed for much longer. Try holding it in for at least 30 seconds. Good luck.
Tony