Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: piggy backing wireless signal  (Read 3793 times)

testuk

• Just arrived
piggy backing wireless signal
« on: June 07, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »

Hi people was wondering how to piggy back a wireless signal from a bthome hub to another router as my dad lives 2 doors up from me and i use his broadband the signal i get if im lucky  is 2bars :( any help and setup instructions would be great
regards paul

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: piggy backing wireless signal
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 05:35:57 PM »

Hi Paul and welcome,

1.  I'm unsure if you are supposed to do this, but you can read's your dad's BT Terms & Conditions. That said a wireless signal does extend beyond the house boundary as you have found out.

2.  It depends upon how much you want to spend on the wireless link. Wireless works best on a direct line-of-site so the best solution would be a point to point link in the eaves, or on the chimneys, or from facing windows if possible, perhaps using the 5.8 GHz frequency band to avoid problems in your dad's house.

Tell us a bit more of your local geography and your budget and no doubt several will put forward solutions.

Kind reagrds,
Walter

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:38:59 PM »

Hello testuk, and welcome to the forum  :)

I am sure that you will appreciate that Kitz Forum will treat this question with a little caution until you give us more information.
We would not wish to offer advice and guidance on the mechanics of "borrowing" a third party's bandwith and internet connection until we are assured of the probity of both the poster and  the question.

Whilst I am sure that your enquiry is genuine in it's nature, you will understand that such a question from a new member will require us to enquire further into background of your query.

If you care to furnish some more data, we will see what we can do.

testuk

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:30:57 PM »

hi there thanks for the quick response what info do you need me to post.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:44:27 PM »

Hi again Paul,

A description of the rooms in each house involved, the position of the modem and how much of the adjoining building is in the way between the modem and presumably your Wireless laptop.
Also what types of modem and WiFi equipment are you using and whether either have a point allowing an external antenna to be added.

Are you willing to buy more equipment and if so what is your budget?

Kind regards,
Walter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »

Hi

Before any real discussion on this you should make certain that You /your Dad are NOT contravening any BT rules .

Regards Jeff :)
zen user

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:56:14 PM »

Have a read of this, it might help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna

But as you are so close together why not just run a cable, it a lot less hassle????

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130715

£10...done & dusted...

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 08:53:14 AM »

Hi Paul,

You'll see three of us think you may be contravening BT's commercial terms and conditions.
(If everyone did these sorts of things BT's revenue would drop significantly.)
If so, then, at the very least, you risk BT disconnecting you dad's broadband service if your activities were to be discovered.
It would be a trivial matter to determine that there were multiple computers on a broadband service.

Kind regards,
Walter

testuk

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 09:19:19 AM »

thanks again for your quick reply`s i think i will just keep with the signal i get as i dont  want there to a problem with  terms &condition also cost of trying to get a slightly better signal. keep up the fast service and time you all put into this site.

regards paul