Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: High jitter and unhelpful BT Wholesale  (Read 13446 times)

UKBoy

High jitter and unhelpful BT Wholesale
« on: April 15, 2010, 05:33:21 PM »

Hi,

Hoping someone can assist with my BT connection that exhibits high ping and jitter, usually during periods after 7 pm and up to and sometimes beyond 11 pm.

I know that my ISP (BT) will blame the evening peak period, but I cant imagine how or why my ping and jitter results are anywhere near as high as the results I have posted throughout the following forum thread (username UKBOY), specifically the last post in the thread, (post number 70 started on 14/3/10) but I also posted numerous tests  in the thread before that as well.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-live/1098234-what-your-average-ping-5.html  

One of the guys at BT has said that, (following the fitting of a filter behind the faceplate that made no difference whatsoever) the only things that would possibly resolve the issue, were either a "lift and shift" or calling in the REIN team.

BT Wholesale are refusing to do a "lift and shift" stating that there is no fault found on the connection, when tested, which is because, when they test early in the afternoon, the issue isn't present, but despite me showing them the forum thread/results I posted, BT Wholesale will not act upon it.

I assume this also means that as they deem "no fault found" they arent going to call the REIN team, but I am still left with an unusable connection for online gaming.

Anyone got any thoughts or assistance they can offer:I am at my wits end with BT but my only other option at the local exchange for an LLU provider is Talk Talk, there is no cable in my area and seemingly no interest from any other provider, to install at that exchange (SPENCERS WOOD RG7).

Thanks in advance for reading and any replies/assistance.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:46:09 PM by UKBoy »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: High jitter and unhelpful BT Wholesale
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:23:07 PM »

Hi UKBoy and welcome,

It would help us if you will provide your line stats which you can obtain from:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Also if you enter your phone number and post code here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php

and report on the results of the RAG test.

If you would post the results of Routerstats Lite at differing times of the day that would indicate if you have any REIN issues or whether it's just down to some form of contention.
See :-

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

Kind reagrds,
Walter

UKBoy

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 06:57:41 PM »

Hi,

Router stats currently :-

Line state Connected
Connection time 1 day, 19:11:29
Downstream 8,128 Kbps
Upstream 832 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up) 10.0 dB / 10.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 19.0 dB / 11.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 44 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 23
Error Seconds (Local) 41

ADSL checker :-

Exchange: Spencers Wood BT Code: THSPD
Distance:- Direct:    93 metres
  (appx)* By Road: 161 metres
  Status   
 ADSL enabled: April 16, 2003
 DSL Max enabled:  March 31, 2006
 SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
 21CN due : (PSTN) No Info
 21CN WBC (Broadband) Not available
  Broadband Access† Market 2

Fixed ADSL:  2048 kbps (2 Mb) 
 DSL Max:   8000 kbps (8 Mb) 
  21CN WBC : Not Available 

I will reinstall Router Stats lite and see what I can capture shortly.

Thanks.

UKBoy

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 09:40:13 PM »

Struggling a bit with setting up Router Stats, so hopefully the following ping plot from "lite" will show up :-

Also interesting, is that I just ran a Pingtest and got the following :-

These "results" have been very much in keeping with the average tests of what I considered very high/strange results, directly after I had been unable to carry on playing online games with any degree of consistency.

Please note that the time of the test was actually 10.03 pm  not 9.03 pm.
Seems not to have changed since the clocks went forward.

Hopefully the Pingtest server/results are reliable, but if so, I would be grateful for peoples thoughts.

Cheers.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:07:37 PM by UKBoy »

UKBoy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 05:03:15 PM »

If anyone is able to outline if/how I can use the "full cream" version of Routerstats with a 2 Wire BT2700HGV, I would be grateful.

As far as I am aware, I havent made any changes to its out of the box operation, so if anyone has already gotten their 2 Wire to work with the full version of Routerstats, I should be able to setp mine up similarly.

Following a long and quite specific email to the head of BT Customer Service, I had a brief call from high level complaints team who are allegedly going to call me Saturday morning to discuss my case/issues fully.

Its a pity that the threat of a long standing customer taking away all business from BT is the only way I have been able to get this problem taken seriously, its as if Wholesale knows the exchange or connection isnt fit for purpose and are hiding behind "no fault found" when they deliberately line test at times of the day when I already told them the fault doesn't show itself.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 05:25:48 PM »

Hi UKBoy,

Perhaps Roseway might have some experience of the full Routerstats?

However if you take screen pictures of the whole of the diagnostics page during the day and evening that might just help.

You are very lucky to be so close to the exchange. I wonder if the upstream CRC errors are correct, or is that a reporting error?
If not it might suggest that there is a contention issue.
It's certainly worth asking that specific question of HLC.

Kind regards,
Walter

UKBoy

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »

Walter,

Thanks for ther reply.

I just noticed that the distance from the exchange is being mis-reported.

I think I am about a mile away from the exchange which is in a straight line as both the exchange and my property front onto the main road through the village.

I switched routers again yesterday evening, was initially using a Homehub v2 and switched to the 2 wire but have always been interested to see what if anything I could get to work with the full version of Routerstats.

I also have D-Link 504T, G624M, 2640B and 2740B routers, so hopefully I ought to be able to configure at least one of those to work with the full Routerstats.

Will post some more of the diagnostics as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 05:56:06 PM »

If anyone is able to outline if/how I can use the "full cream" version of Routerstats with a 2 Wire BT2700HGV, I would be grateful.

Did you tick "Other Router" in the initial config ?

If you're having problems then contact John Owen via the web site, he's very helpful in resolving config problems.

UKBoy

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 06:07:44 PM »

Did you tick "Other Router" in the initial config ?

If you're having problems then contact John Owen via the web site, he's very helpful in resolving config problems.

As far as I recall I did, though I will retry it shortly.

Thanks for the assist. :)

Most recent ping plot (though still a bit earlier than the issue normally rears its head :-

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:36:27 PM by UKBoy »

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »

During peak period can you try a few traceroutes to a reliable server, e.g. jolt.co.uk and post your results.  It may show up a problem somewhere along the routing path.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »

When I was using a 2700HGV I was able to get Routerstats working with it. I don't recall the exact procedure, but basically I followed the method described in the RS documentation for other routers.
  Eric

UKBoy

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 06:43:34 PM »

When I was using a 2700HGV I was able to get Routerstats working with it. I don't recall the exact procedure, but basically I followed the method described in the RS documentation for other routers.

Thanks, will give it another go shortly.

As regards tracerouting (as of five minutes ago) both to kitz and jolt, no hops above 13 ms in either of them.

Will try them again between 9 and 10 pm when the connection usually goes down the gurgler.

UKBoy

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 10:31:25 AM »

In scenes sadly reminiscent of my experience when playing games online, just had a phonecall from a gent in BT Technical high level complaints, 45 minutes late.

I explained the ping and jitter issues and he basically said that Wholesale had, to date, refused a lift and shift as they had been maintaining a minimum of 600k connection.

Apparently this is part of their service level agreement, so it was almost a case of, it doesnt matter whether we advertise our service as being suitable for online gaming, provided we maintain that minimum connection, it doesnt matter how high the ping and jitter are.

I told the gent that in my opinion, my connection was far more stable when I was on the old fixed rate (cant recall if it was 1/2 or 1 meg) before "upgrading" as within 1 week of being switched to the up to 8 meg speed, I had to ask them to turn the interleaving off.

I wouldnt mind this all so much if it werent for the fact that when I play in parties on xbox live with friends who are all within a 10 mile radius, one of which is on bt just via a different exchange, I wasnt the only one who has to have someone actually say "good kill" or "good shot" and I dont even see it until after they have actual said it, so that gives you an idea of the kind of delay I experience.

In games like first person shooters or even football, the kind of delays I get, essentially render playing them, no more than a total guessing game, in terms of proper player placements.

I have also noticed that at times I seem to receive the audio before seeing the video that acompanies it:like an air strike in a first person shooter.

Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has similar issues, specifically on xbox live as I dont use the pc for online gaming, only the games console.

Thanks.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 11:27:39 AM »

within 1 week of being switched to the up to 8 meg speed, I had to ask them to turn the interleaving off.

Off or on?  Fastpath mode (interleaving disabled) generally results in a less stable line with a slight decrease in ping times.

Also, just to clarify, is your PC and/or XBox conncted via ethernet cable or wirelessly? 

UKBoy

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 11:43:07 AM »

within 1 week of being switched to the up to 8 meg speed, I had to ask them to turn the interleaving off.

Off or on?  Fastpath mode (interleaving disabled) generally results in a less stable line with a slight decrease in ping times.

Also, just to clarify, is your PC and/or XBox conncted via ethernet cable or wirelessly? 

Hi,

Apparently with BT interleaving is on as default, I noticed that ping times were high so I had them turn it off (though sometimes I think they put it on auto)

I have been testing both before and after changes to interleaving and it really hasnt affected the jitter.The strange thing about when I use Pingtest is that if I run a test and get a high jitter result (say 45 to 80) , I can retest it 30 seconds later, get a low result (2 or 3) then test it again and its back to 40 or so.

Is it normal that jitter can vary that much over such a short length of time ?.
What this translates to in games is that, a game normally running at about 30 frames a second can slow to a crawl of being akin to looking like a 1 or 2 frames a second slideshow.

Re the 2nd question :-

Pc is connected via ethernet.
I always play online games via ethernet as  I find that the wireless for the vast majority of the time, as you would expect, made things worse.

Many times when testing,  I will also turn off the wireless from the router, to ensure that only the xbox360 or the pc is using the connection at that time.
Pages: [1] 2 3