Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Issues with friends Virgin Connection - Upload Low  (Read 17321 times)

funkyfin2000

Re: Issues with friends Virgin Connection - Upload Low
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2010, 07:34:01 AM »

Yeah you could be right guys.

Lets see what the guy says this weekend, only coming to have a look and I said I would be hand to chat to him on the phone since I know everything about the house and setup and where the issues are.

Does anyone have a number for BT that you call to get them out to do this kind of work? Couldn't find anything on the website? Do they come survey first for free or anything?

Rich

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2010, 08:25:29 AM »

The second guy says he does commercial installations and will come out and have a look at the weekend but will do stuff for beer money really!

We have a saying here....Pay peanuts and you will get monkeys. ;)

funkyfin2000

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2010, 02:25:23 PM »

OK so the idea is:

Dedicated ADSL line from the Master Socket to the STUDY (thus leaving the extension wiring for the telephone in the kitchen that works fine)

Or Fault find the issue on the extension wiring

The guy is coming out tomorrow morning to take a look and see what he can do!

Update tomorrow!

Rich

funkyfin2000

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2010, 01:30:46 PM »

Engineer is round presently I hope!

Still synced at 135k! So after he has been we are going to reboot the router a few times!

funkyfin2000

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2010, 03:36:06 PM »

ITS FIXED!!!!

Wahooo!!!

Sooooooooooooooo the guy has been round this arvo and basically connected the main incoming line at the NTe5 DIRECTLY to the Extension wiring and that bizarrely has straight away fixed it!

Router moved downstairs, syncing at 7686kbps and 448k and getting speeds of 5.79mb!!!!!

What on earth! Just from that! Crazy!!!

Rich

funkyfin2000

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2010, 04:23:57 PM »

Just to confirm, the engineer has crimped the drop wire at the back of the NTE5 to the extension wiring! Making a perfect connection between the two. Thoughts anyone on this? OK to do etc?

Secondly, he said it won't affect BT or anything legal like that but it will mean they won't be able to test the voice line as it needs the capacitor in the NTE5 to do so.

Interestingly enough, the BT Speedtester doesn't work for my friend at the moment (although could be an issue with it presently)

He is now achieving a nice 5.79mb download speed! I hope to see that rise a bit tbh!

Thanks to EVERYONE for there help!!! Really really good news, the engineer only charged him £25 for his time and petrol too!!!

Rich

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2010, 06:05:16 PM »

Hi
quote : Just to confirm, the engineer has crimped the drop wire at the back of the NTE5 to the extension wiring! Making a perfect connection between the two. Thoughts anyone on this? OK to do etc?

Not sure about this perhaps Ezzer would confirm ?

Regards Jeff
zen user

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2010, 06:25:40 PM »

Can you just clarify, is this a "standard" BT (Openreach) phone line, it's just that they pay Virgin for service, i.e. not a cable system.
If so, only a proper BT Openreach engineer can do what you described "legally".
Technically I'd say it was not exactly "kosher" either.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2010, 06:33:30 PM »

Just to confirm, the engineer has crimped the drop wire at the back of the NTE5 to the extension wiring! Making a perfect connection between the two. Thoughts anyone on this? OK to do etc?

Secondly, he said it won't affect BT or anything legal like that but it will mean they won't be able to test the voice line as it needs the capacitor in the NTE5 to do so.

That's definitely not correct wiring practice, and if BT come to visit at some stage and find the extensions connected that way, they won't be happy. It will mean a bill for correcting the incorrect wiring. The whole point of the NTE5 is to enable the extension wiring to be completely isolated by removing the faceplate, allowing customers to do their own extension wiring without interfering with BT's wiring.

I suppose that if your friend is happy with the outcome then no real harm has been done, but the 'engineer' should be ashamed of himself.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2010, 09:31:40 PM »

@ Roseway,

Surley if the NTE5 has been bypassed, as I believe it has been described, does it not suggest there's something wrong with the NTE5 and it should therefore be replaced?

Kind regards,
Walter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »

You'll not be able to find out now. :'(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2010, 10:39:34 PM »

Yes, it does rather look as though the NTE5 may have been faulty, but as HP says, it'll be more difficult to prove that now.
  Eric

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »

Main thing is its fixed and a good job was done to identify the current issue. Alot of time and effort was put into the job and you deserve a pat in the back  :D. However a bypass on the NTE5 is not the practice that should be carried out especially if BT are unable to line test that. Just hope nothing else goes wrong and an engineer needs sent out by BT as your friend will incur a defective visit charge to correct the wiring.

Regards
Gary

funkyfin2000

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2010, 05:11:25 PM »

Quite, just to say main thing is it's fixed.

Quick possibly the NTE5 is at fault, anyone heard of them going faulty?

Thanks for everyones help its been a long two weeks, but so far so good, stable and now syncing at 6000k!

Wooo!

Cheers all

Rich

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2010, 05:29:59 PM »

BUT only in a way that sooner or later will cause your friend some future grief.

I think we all suggesting a new NTE5 needs to be installed properly and BEFORE everyone forgets what I think can be most charitably be called a quick bodge.

Were I in your shoes, I would be quite uncomfortable until the replacement is installed.

Kind reagrds,
Walter
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything