Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AVG 9 Recent Update  (Read 2556 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
AVG 9 Recent Update
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:33:19 PM »

My AVG 9 is set to do a daily update followed by a full scan. Full in my case is of my C: drive plus any other partitions that may have had Internet material downloaded to them. After the update on 17th March AVG unusually required a reboot which is unusual. The subsequent scan only needed half the time to finish that had been the norm for months. Good I thought but looking a bit deeper it transpires that AVG is only scanning about half the files it used to. Looking at the detailed set up I can see no obvious changes and the AVG9 free forum has no posting about this effect. The other PC in the house used by my son and running off the same router has exhibited the same effects (need to reboot, shorter scan time and less files scanned) but the scan time reduction and the fewer files scanned effect is less marked. Has anyone observed anything similar or have any suggestion as to the cause? And should I be worried?
Tony

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: AVG 9 Recent Update
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »

Hi
I haven't used AVG9 for a couple of years.Are you sure you are doing a full scan ,I seem to remember you could select a quick scan .Might be anther  AV
Regards Jeff
zen user

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »

Jeff
Thanks for your response. As I said in my original posting my "full" scan is not the whole computer as it has four drives set up in fourteen Windows partitions and four or five Linux partitions. The scan has always been of the C: partition and four other partitions that may receive downloads from the net. To scan the entire PC everyday would be unnecessary in my view and would take a couple of hours at least during which the PC's performance would be compromised. As far as I can tell the AVG set up is no different now to that before the update. I have discovered recently there is a facility for doing a fast or slow scan but I don't think that changes what is scanned only how the PC's resources are used to carry out the scan. It is set in my case to "automatic scan" and using a "fast" scan will "impact system resources" according to AVG. Still I suppose I ought to try moving the slider to "slow" and see if more files are scanned.
Tony

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 01:00:14 PM »

Follow up to my posting which may be of interest to others using AVG. An update on 10.3.10 apparently caused the default exclusion of archive files (zip, rar, etc) which almost certainly explains the better speed fewer scanned objects effects. Not sure why it didn't show up until 17th. I think I agree with this change as you are probably only going to be affected by an embedded nasty if you expand the archive but it would have been nice to have been told. I expect I should have used the paid for version!!
Tony