Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can anyone help me please!  (Read 3708 times)

matt2010

• Just arrived
Can anyone help me please!
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »

First of all, hello and thank you for a great website,

For the last three weeks I have seen a constant drop from my 8Mbps line down to 5Mbps. I was achieving the high end of 7Mbps even nudging over 8 at times but its suddenly dropped to 5 any time of day.

I am on PlusNet Pro which shouldn’t have any traffic shaping. Apparently my connection is dropping?

I use an Apple mac with a Dlink 2640b router

I would like someone to look at my stats (attached) and see if you can tell if it is an issue for PlusNet/BT or if it is a problem in my home, Router/Filter etc.

Thank you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Can anyone help me please!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »

Hi and welcome

from your stats, I notice is that the exchange must almost be in your garden ;D

Your connection is as good as it can be . your synch rate is at 7616Kbps which is normally the max for an interleaved line .

Your problems with downloads are most certainly due to Contention

This can be your exchange , or your ISP.
Have you been in touch with your ISP?.

Regards Jeff
zen user

matt2010

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:15:36 PM »

Hi Jeff, thanks for looking at my problem

Yes you are right, I live in the same road as the exchange, not 100 metres away, this is what is puzzling me about my speed, I used to get 8Mbps, but now only 5 when I go to speedtest.net

This is what plusnet had to saw about my query –

Checking our connection logs for your line and the actual profile set, we can see that the speed issue is in fact likely to be caused by intermittency in the signal of your connection.  This is showing in ours logs as a frequently dropping connection although if it's coming straight back up, there is a likelihood that you won't be noticing it yourself.

The reason for this is that the BT bRAS in the exchange will lower your speed to try and keep the line stable, sometimes if the dropping is particularly bad it's common for the bRAS to get a little overzealous and drop it quite far to a point where you can hardly do anything.

As such we will need to investigate your fault differently than a normal speed fault.  If you could please post your answers to the following questions in a reply to this ticket, we can then further investigate this issue for you.

Please accept my apologies if these questions are going over information you have already checked, but if the issue requires us to escalate it to BT then they require answers to these specific questions from yourself in this format.

This is also in place as a check for yourself as with any fault with the broadband service you need to be sure that everything has been checked at your end, as if BT confirm the issue to be caused by something at your end (faulty filter, extension cables, modem, etc...) then you will be billed for a failed fault check which is charged at £144.00 + VAT.

as you can see im hesitant to get them involved, i really do not want t spend £144=VAT.

I have a few questions for you,

do you think its plusnet putting too many customers online and that is reducing my speed? Would Plusnet reduce my speed to squeeze more people in? and would plusnet do this and not tell me?

and seeing as i live so close to the exchange why when I look at ISP providers they all say if I sign up for a 24Mbps deal the online checker says I can expect 11Mbps, if I only get 11 living next door does anyone ever get 24?

Also when I try to connect my PS3 I get NAT Error, it wont give me a type.

Would it be wise for me to go off Interleaved?

I have just gone back to using my old Netgear DG834 to compare the speeds, and have noticed the Line Attenuation drop to 6 db, which I think is a good thing. Also the SNR margin rise to 7. Nothing has changed in my house, I haven’t played with any settings, so surly it must be Plusnet.

Sorry, so many questions.

Matt

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:12:02 PM »

Hi
First Attenuation should not change significantly. There are some differences sometimes between routers but not normally that much.
whatever the connection stats are Identical as expected .Even with the raised SNR margin ,you are still connecting with max speed you can expect with interleave switched on.

If you are getting disconnections then if you can (not sure about MAC) try routerstats  if you can get it to work you can monitor SNR margin ,synch speed = much more , over an extended period the results are in a graphical format.

quote Also the SNR margin rise to 7 SNR margin will fluctuate during normal usage the only time to be concerned is with large sudden changes or very erratic spikes from one sample to the next.

quote : if I only get 11 living next door does anyone ever get 24? your stats indicate you should be able to get the full 24.

quote Would Plusnet reduce my speed to squeeze more people in? They could  but I would expect any capping to be related to fair usage policy . If there isn't sufficient bandwidth for the numbers of users the this is when you have contention.(just like a very busy motorway trafic slws down).
 can you access your router log . That should show disconnections .
Regards Jeff

zen user

matt2010

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 03:02:51 PM »

Hello.

Ok, I have used RouterStats, I hope you can make sense on them.

But I get the feeling it’s PlusNet capping me at 5/6Mbps even when I am on PlusNet Pro 8Mbps which isn't supposed to have capping or traffic shaping.

If you can prove from these graphs that it’s not my connection dropping then I can decide if whether to switch to an LLU provider like BE*

I suspect that PlusNets reply to the problem with ‘dropping connection’ and the threat of £144+VAT if they cant find a problem is just a standard ‘go away and stop bothering us email’

Thanks again.

Matt

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 06:42:40 PM »

Hi
These look good . They show that you didn't lose synch during the sampling time . That is one part of the check .
there does seem to be some noise on the SNR margin graph . It does not look much with your level of margin ,remembering that The scale is logarithmic . Each 3db = a doubling of actual margin (power) the noise is a bit odd its as if there is a background noise that is being switched off and on again. But whatever that does not seem to affect your synch.

Which router do these relate to?
from routerstats you should be able to get the 3 up times that the router produces , from the summary page .  LAN, WAN, WAN PPoA.
you should also be able to view the router log .This will show any loss of synch etc.

The next step is to increase the number of plots per page so that a page will cover some or most of the times you have problems  with downloads
note the problem times and DL speeds .
Can you use BT speed tester this will give us your current profile as well as the synch rate .

Regards Jeff
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:44:52 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

matt2010

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 07:04:18 PM »

Hi

I used a wired Netgear DG834 v2 for these, I prefer that router to the PlusNet Dlink 2640.

The thing is I don't have a problem viewing webpages or downloading, and I haven’t seen any loss of connection, the simple fact is I can’t get any faster speed than 5Mbps even though I used to get 8. So it leads me to think Im being capped or managed in some way and plusnet have simply sent a round robin answer.

It doesn't fluctuate, its a constant 5Mbps any time of day.

matt

matt2010

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 07:15:29 PM »

Sorry, I’m a bit out of my depth regarding the RouterStats software, do you mean the summary tab under the Telnet Router tab?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 07:33:12 PM »

Yes that's the one  :)

zen user

matt2010

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »

For some reason mine says ATM totals though.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »

Hi
which router are you using ?
you seem to have about 38 minute difference between your PPPoA time and your connection time . Seems you have lost the PPPoa connection to your ISP about 38 min after your last synch with the exchange.
Can you check the router log ? this can be seen on the summary page by clicking the view log button(the one to the left of the button with the ? mark)

Regards Jeff

zen user

matt2010

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 01:26:15 PM »

Hi,

Here are the latest grabs, I should explain that I am using routerstats on the PC side of my dual boot Mac. I’m no way competent in vista. So i have only logged in to use Routerstats so I don't know if the router log will be of any use but here it is anyway, all it says is the times of me loggin on.

I found out that moist of the noise in the noise margin was from my telephone, these latest graphs are with most of my electrical items switched off.

The router I am using is a Netgear DG834 v2

I know these only show a short time span as i couldn't see where to shorten the length to fit more onto one graph, I have had it running all night on autocapture and all the graphs are identical to these.

Is it safe to say that the problem I am having of not being able to get any faster speed than 5Mbps isn't down to my equipment?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 07:16:42 PM »

Hi
quote Is it safe to say that the problem I am having of not being able to get any faster speed than 5Mbps isn't down to my equipment?
there appears to be nothing wrong with your equipment .Nor does there seem to be anything wrong with the connection to the exchange so getting an engineer out would most probably be an expensive mistake .

isp quote : The reason for this is that the BT bRAS in the exchange will lower your speed to try and keep the line stable, sometimes if the dropping is particularly bad it's common for the bRAS to get a little overzealous and drop it quite far to a point where you can hardly do anything.

well your profile is 6500Kbps which is as expected for you interleaved line connecting at 7616Kbps. So I am not too sure where they are coming from .

the download speed of 5285Kbps is a little low for your 6500Kbps profile , but his could just be the time of day. I would expect to get about 6200+kbps most of the time .
you could try to get the interleave switched OFF that should  increase your synch rate to 8128Kbps with a profile of 7150Kbps.

to me it  looks just like plain contention .
you could try running netmeter   to see what is happening real time

and /or   downloading test files   from Thinkbroadband

You say that you used to DL at top end of 7Mbps even nudging 8Mbps .??
well on an 8max connection with everything perfect  connecting at 8128Kbps  your profile would be 7150Kbps . In the real world most people do not
generally hit the absolute maximum  profile figure.

Regards Jeff

zen user