Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: utube clips  (Read 4278 times)

birdieboy

• Just arrived
utube clips
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:55:30 AM »

hi all when i try to watch clips on utube they play for 5 seconds then it pauses on every clip someone said it is my broadband speed and advised me to do a speedtest, these are the results  : download 0.96 upload 0.37mbs im on tiscali broadband and my computer has windows vista home basic  i have a siemens gigaset se587 wlan dsl wireless router, can anyone give me some advice to sort my problem out,please keep any advice simple as im quite new to all this many thanks

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: utube clips
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:00:27 AM »

Hi Birdleboy and welcome.

Are you connected using wireless or an ethernet cable ?

Try the cable first.

Kind regards,
Walter

birdieboy

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 11:28:45 AM »

i connect using wireless

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:32:12 AM »

I suggest the first thing to try is to use an ethernet cable and thus eliminate wireless performance problems.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »

Hi and welcome. :)

The reason the video clip/s pause when you have a slow broadband connection is the speed at which the video clip plays is faster than your connection and thus it catches up and that is when your clip pauses.It then has to wait for a new buffer zone so it can restart playing.
When you are playing a video clip you will see the progress bar underneath it.You will see the red progress bar(that is your broadband speed) And the grey circle(the speed at which the clip is playing),when the circle catches up with the red bar that is when your clip freezes/pauses.It has then got to wait for the red bar to progress again(known as a buffer zone) before it will start playing again.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 02:03:55 PM »

Hi

Can you post your router stats this link .should help. It will tell us what your connection is like .
Regards Jeff
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:13:40 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 02:18:55 PM »

>>> download 0.96 upload 0.37mbs

For the sake of elimination, can you provide your line stats please so we can see what speeds you should be getting from your line.

However if you are getting around 1Mbps download on a speedtest, this should in theory be enough to buffer a youtube stream.

That said - something I and others have observed for a long while is that lesser popular vids seem to be given less priority.. and on occasions even I see slow buffering and thats on a 24Mbps connection.

Another check can you test this video as this is a 'popular' and is coming down from Youtube  at a steady 576kbps and shouldnt have any buffering problems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs&NR=1&feature=fvwp

(sorry whilst I was typing jeff also mentioned linestats - but I got distracted for a short while, when looking at the most popular vids lol)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

birdieboy

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:05:04 PM »

i found the router on the link but it wont let me login    its a siemens gigaset se587  ive just been on utube link you posted and it has worked ok,thats the first time its worked in a week,im very confused now ahhhhh
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:27:47 PM by birdieboy »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 04:23:28 PM »

It sounds as though the password has been changed. Assuming that you haven't changed it yourself, did you get the router second hand perhaps? One option would be to reset the router to its default settings and start again, but this would of course involve setting everything up again. I presume that the manual will describe how to reset the router - this normally involves sticking a paper clip in a small hole at the back and holding it for several seconds.
  Eric

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 12:11:41 AM »

I bet you'll get an instant increase in sync and download speeds if you throw that horrible brick out the window and get a decent router....tiscali sent me one (which gathers dust in a corner somewhere ;)) , I tried it, and it synced over half a meg slower at same snrm than my 2640B....

If I were you, I'd:-

1. follow the tutorial here:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

and

2. Get a decent router that will let you tweak your snrm down from tiscali's stock 12dB (on LLU)

Combo of these two will sort you out ;)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

birdieboy

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:18:53 PM »

thanks for all the advice,what router should i be looking for and where will i get one from ?

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 06:31:06 PM »

If you want wireless and ethernet ports my recommended router would be a Netgear DG834GT. I would also add the DGTeam firmware which gives you more options and it's a no-cost easy upgrade.

You can buy a decent second-hand model for £20 on e-bay.

That's what I've done and I'm happy with the choice.

Prior to the Netgear I had a Thomson Speedtouch ST585V6 which is slightly less configurable, but a fair bit cheaper on e-bay.  I was happy with its speed and stability, but being a tweaker, I went for the Netgear.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 12:13:48 AM »

I've just got a GT off ebay for £16 inc. p&p  ;D

LOADS of them going on there....
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

anything