Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Looking for ADSL2/2+ equivalent of SAR110/SAR130  (Read 2302 times)

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
Looking for ADSL2/2+ equivalent of SAR110/SAR130
« on: December 25, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »

I love the IP filtering and firewall configurability of Viking chipped routers like the SAR110/130.  I know that the SmartAX MT182 is ADSL2/2+ capable but its firmware is not quite good enough and I wondered if forum members could suggest a make and model (doesn't need to be a current model).

Thanks
Windows XP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Looking for ADSL2/2+ equivalent of SAR110/SAR130
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 09:38:37 AM »

I know what you mean about the SAR110.  Ive never yet come across a home router that has so much and so many configuration options.  I stuck out with mine as long as I could despite it looking like a brick and not being wireless.  Same chipset as the Voyager 205s which wasnt a bad router underneath the BT GUI.

AFAIK I was the first to realise that the SmartAX was basically similar to the SAR110 and  I did at one time have a couple of them. I dont know if the same is true today since this must be about 3-4 yrs ago now and there will have been firmware updates, but if you can ignore the TT GUI.. I found that under the hood the CLI was remarkably similar. However if youre going to have to mess with the CLI, this takes away a lot of the advantages that the SAR110 had for filtering etc and how comparatively easy it was to set these options.

Globespan Virata was taken over by Conexant a few years back so Im not even sure if you will now be able to get something similar.
IMHO I dont think they are quite as good as the ST585v6 or the DG834GT for stability on long lines.  A lot of router manufacturers seem to be playing to certain ISPs these days and making them very basic when it comes to configuration options.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

hake

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:28:36 AM »

I like to be able to do things like denying acceptance of incoming packets with an options header payload.  Are there other routers that can do this?

I would rather do without ADSL2 and continue to use these routers.  With the valuable help and advice I have received from members of this forum and the superb articles on www.kitz.co.uk, I have been able to raise the performance of my connection to excellent so the attractions of ADSL2 are not compelling, for me at least.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 12:05:26 PM by hake »
Windows XP

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 02:58:39 PM »

Have a look at the Billion BiPAC range.  I think some of the slightly older models use a Globespan chipset e.g. 7402 series (more recently the Connexant) and may offer you some of the features you need.

hake

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »

Thanks orainsear.  I will look at those products.
Windows XP