Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Friday 20th chat  (Read 4032 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Friday 20th chat
« on: November 20, 2009, 07:34:36 AM »

Good morning  ;D

Heres hoping all are well this fine day.

Woohooo...the rain has stopped  :clap2:........I trust that the several Kitizens are nice and dry and that no-one suffered any flooding.

Pottering and cleaning up outside is on the agenda......and getting someone to have a look at my backdoor...a sealed unit thingy which has suddenly decided that it does not want to lock anymore.....throw up the handle but the bolts don't come out... :(

Have a good day.  :)

camallison

• Kitizen
Re: Friday 20th chat
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 09:14:23 AM »

Good morning TD and all who follow.

People in Cumbria, Dumfries and Galloway seem to have had a very bad night with the rain.  My heart goes out to them.  Good that the worst didn't come up to your neck of the woods TD, or your rice paddy might have been overflowing.

Friday - lunch appointment with Maisie beckons later - fish pie all round.

I hope you all enjoy today and the coming weekend - wrap up warm and keep your welies handy - for puddle-jumping of course!   ;D

Colin

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »

Good morning TD, Colin and all who pop on,

Hope you get your door fixed TD what a nuisance when something like that goes wrong, hopefully it will just need a "nudge"...but not a costly one I trust!

Yes Colin, I saw the news re those places in Cumbria, especially Cockermouth, dreadful time they are all having of it, they get enough rain ordinarily in those parts without all the extra to cause flooding poor souls.

Enjoy your Friday lunch appointment Colin....I'm sure Maisie will too  ;)

Have a good day everyone and I hope you are well away from all the soggy places that are around.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:49:06 AM »

TD's door...............aha, the bolts don't come out, do they ?
The main one beside the keyhole does.....the rest travel up and down to engage in the wee slots......and they are all working properly.

:-[

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 12:46:06 PM »

TD's door...............aha, the bolts don't come out, do they ?
The main one beside the keyhole does.....the rest travel up and down to engage in the wee slots......and they are all working properly.

:-[

Is it a upvc one with multi point locking?

The one where the lock cylinder should go straight out and the others(usually 2,if hook bolts)earlier doors can have 4 which slide in to the corresponding keeps once the door handle is lifted.

Hook Bolt type

Roller cam type.

and usually you will have the dead bolt where the lock cylinder is.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:51:16 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 02:14:14 PM »

@ unkyUb........... upvc and it's the roller cam type with the dead bolt coming out the cylinder.

As you say, the roller cams slide up and down to engage in the keeps, four of them, when the door handle is lifted.

It's been like that, of course, since it was installed ten years ago.....I knew full well that when the handle is raised, the roller cams did not protrude extra length into holes but slid into keeps...but this morning for some reason I got myself convinced that they should extend into holes.... :oldman:  :-[

All is well, and thank you for the professional know how   :)...........one thing TD will never be and that is practical with my hands...am God's gift to the tradesman and craftsman  :D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 02:22:18 PM »

If you look carefully in the ends of the roller cams,you will see a hole which takes an alum key.If you insert the alum key and turn the cam slightly it will move inwards or outwards,you can make the door fit tighter up to the rubber seals or looser if your door is too tight.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 02:30:52 PM »

Wow  .....I've always had an urge to tighten up the door a bit as I was never convinced that it was "sealing" properly.....but had no idea what to do....now I know  :)

Trundles off to have a look see..............and thanks for the tip.  :clap2:.........will let you know.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 02:32:25 PM »

Wow  .....I've always had an urge to tighten up the door a bit as I was never convinced that it was "sealing" properly.....but had no idea what to do....now I know  :)

Trundles off to have a look see..............and thanks for the tip.  :clap2:.........will let you know.

They might be stiff after 10 years,so a spray of WD40 might help.

They will only move slightly,and make sure that your door looks ok after adjustment.You will notice that after you have done your adjustments that when you lift the handle to lock the door it will feel a little tighter,that is the cams pulling the door tighter up to the rubber seals.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:35:53 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 03:03:50 PM »

Hokeydokey, had a wee look.....I had never before noticed the wee sockets on the ends of the roller cams... :blush:

Bit of a problem is that I don't have a key to fit......will pop into the ironmonger emporium next visit to the bright lights and get the right size ( probably have to buy a set.)

Thanks a lot for the help, unkyUb, will report back when the right tool is to hand... :) 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »

Bit of a problem is that I don't have a key to fit......will pop into the ironmonger emporium next visit to the bright lights and get the right size ( probably have to buy a set.

More than likely,not too expensive though,and always come in handy. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 03:39:15 PM »

G'day -  jeeze we are all in the wars,  hope all those with aches & pains are soon feeling a bit better..  I dont think the weather helps much does it.
We need a resident GP  :D

I'm suffering from 'man flu' which started in earnest last night and kept me awake most of the night.  Was meant to be going round to someones house today to set up a new PC and transfer the data over from old one, but Im sure they dont want me coughing and spluttering all over them.  The cough is one of those horrible tickly ones that doesnt stop until youre sick.

On top of that I had to have the root canal re-done yesterday and although it didnt hurt at the time my jaw is tender today, which he said it would be for a few days. Apparently the tooth is savable, but it means a crown with a post...  and £200.  The last RC made the tooth brittle which is why it snapped. .. so I guess Im going to have a stupid stump for a couple of months which gives me time to save up.

Boiler is leaking again and I need to call the gas engineer back out... It seems like one expected bill after the other sometimes doesnt it.

Looking on the bright side though..  I do have one of the most adorable kitties ever :D

Talking of which he has a habit. 
It took me a wee while to suss out what it was, because quite often he'd be very tightly curled in a ball, and all I could hear was purrs and 'tututututututut'.
What he does is grabs hold of his tail and spends ages suckling on it.  Kitty equivalent of thumb sucking!

----
@  dan -  ohh Eddie Izzard... bet it was a good show - hes very very funny :)
@ TD - hope you get your knobs and bits sorted.
@ Colin - looks like you & maisie are probably in the best place - hope youre enjoying your lunch appt. :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »

Good evening from chez nous ..   it's been a funny day  :'(  , started off feeling full of vim and vigour,  but I think I did too much yesterday and this darned sciatic nerve has let me know   .....  anyway I've been horizontal most of the day   ....  compared with others woes, it's nothing    ...  but it is very painful and I'm a wuss with pain   :lol:

I trust  everyone is OK,     and I will hopefully catch up tomorrow!

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »

G'day -  jeeze we are all in the wars,  hope all those with aches & pains are soon feeling a bit better..  I dont think the weather helps much does it.
We need a resident GP  :D
Here comes the doctors assistant for the next patient.........

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »

I'm next  :blush:
Pages: [1] 2