Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: adjusting SNR down  (Read 3364 times)

dambox

• Just arrived
adjusting SNR down
« on: October 11, 2009, 07:40:39 PM »

Hi - I have been experimenting with lowering the SNR on my Netgear. I just want to check the symptons I am seeing are normal. As I lower it, I seem to lose internet connectivity first before the line is unable to DSL sync. I expected it to occur at the same time. Is this normal behavior ?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: adjusting SNR down
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 07:08:52 AM »

I have bumped your post, dambox, as it appears to have slipped through the net and remains unanswered.

No doubt, the gurus will spot it and offer opinions.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 07:37:23 AM »

As the noise margin is reduced, so the error rate increases, until it gets to the point where the connection is unsustainable and the router loses sync. Before that happens you may experience erratic performance because so much data is having to be retransmitted as a result of the errors. I guess that it could be during this period that the ISP monitoring believes that the ADSL connection has dropped, and so drops the PPP connection.

This is only speculation on my part, as I don't really know.
  Eric

dambox

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »

I appreciate the bump !

The last reply makes sense - DSL is up but unable to connect. I am a bit of a novice in terms of tuning this. Any recommendations on things to look at in terms of errors to get the right balance of speed vs. error rate ?

I also have the DGTeam firmware installed - are there any other tweaks worth trying out ?

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 08:26:53 AM »

Morning dambox,

From what i know and understand, your line noise is high enough to disrupt the PPP session, bbut the modem chipset is accounting for the errors and keeping the line iun sync.

It may be worth while asking your current ISP for a list of times and then parsiong those so you can see when the drops occur. This should help narrow down the cause.

I understand you also have the DGTeam firmware installed does this mean you are using a DG834GT?
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »

The other thing you should do if you want to tweak the noise margin is install Routerstats to monitor your noise margin continuously. It may be the case that the noise margin jumps up and down a fair bit, in which case you want to leave enough margin that it doesn't drop below about 2-3 dB at the lowest points.

And another warning - if you're using a BT-based internet service then be careful not to make the router re-sync too frequently; I would suggest not more than twice in any hour. If you allow it to re-sync too often then BT's DLM system will view the connection as unstable and raise your target noise margin. Once it's raised it can be quite difficult to get it down again.
  Eric

anything