Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spybot Hint of the day  (Read 3616 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Spybot Hint of the day
« on: July 17, 2009, 10:32:33 PM »

Hi
When I  ran SD the hint of the day was interesting see attachment.
Regards Jeff

[attachment deleted by admin]
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Spybot Hint of the day
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 12:19:28 AM »

hm... I wonder what caused that so a quick google was in order.

The most informative discussion I could find on it was from Betanews

Spybot Search & Destroy competitors are trying to force its removal

For years, Spybot Search & Destroy has been one of Fileforum's single most installed pieces of software, with nearly 67 million downloads since 2000 on our sister site alone. It's one of the Web's original anti-spyware packages, independently distributed by Safer Networking Ltd., based in Ireland and developed in Germany.

Despite a user base in the dozens of millions (if not more; Safer Networking doesn't track its users), Spybot S&D hasn't had an easy time establishing itself in the competitive anti-malware field. Because it is freeware (commercial users must purchase licenses), the application is seen as a thorn in the side of larger companies who sell security software with the same functionality.

But now, the principals of Safer Networking are stepping up their rhetoric a bit. Speaking with Betanews last week, the developers of Spybot S&D demonstrated how some of its larger competitors are actively using their anti-virus tools to keep Spybot off customers' systems.

Safer Networking names three manufacturers in particular: Trend Micro, Kaspersky Labs, and McAfee Software. Though their anti-virus products are, Safer Networking says, compatible with Spybot S&D, their setup routines claim a conflict with one of Spybot's optional components: a memory-resident live anti-malware signature checker called TeaTimer. Even if TeaTimer is not active, the setups first ask or even require the user to uninstall Spybot before proceeding.

>:( >:(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 07:29:14 AM »

I can confirm that I have had problems with Teatimer myself, giving clashes/conflicts with several programmes.  By that I mean actual conflict rather than just warnings.  It is something to do with its resident status .... lurking in the background.  The Spybot S&D guys are aware of the problem(s) and they have been ongoing now for around 18 months.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 10:32:57 AM »

Hi
I have  noticed on the AVIRA forum that their first response to any problem with their AV  is to insist that SD,adaware are un installed if they are present .
Regards Jeff
zen user

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »

I use Spybot and Avira is my anti virus ..... I remembered there being written somewhere that it was better to use Spybot without Teatimer so I've never used it.   Avira has real time protection so I assume that I don't need Teatimer anyway .....  I've not had any conflicts.   One thing that puzzles me with Spybot is that when I Immunize after an update  Opera is in the list and I haven't used Opera for a very long time and have removed it from my computer.  Can I just un-tick the Opera boxes therefore  ?   

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 12:15:26 PM »

Hi

Touch wood I have had no problem with SD running teatimer . I am also using AVIRA and ad aware with Comodo firewall.

Regards Jeff
zen user

anything