Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: netgear DG834G v4  (Read 14043 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
netgear DG834G v4
« on: May 02, 2009, 02:00:22 PM »

I wonder if a kind soul could help me please, with a problem which drove me to distraction yesterday.

I currently connect to VirginMedia via a ST330 modem, which permits me a line speed of about 2.5 mbs

In anticipation of migrating to another ISP and hopefully achieving a speed of 7.6/8 Mbs which I am told my line is capable of, I acquired a Netgear DG834G v4 router.

Yesterday, I uninstalled all software related to the ST330, and disconnected that completely and then wired up the Netgear in accordance with the instructions on the CD which came witht the machine.

When thus set up, the router showed that the power light, ethernet light, wireless light and dsl light were glowing green as they should be but......the internet light refused to come on.

On checking the troubleshooter page on the CD, it suggested a fault in the cabling somewhere, so I unplugged everything and stared again again.....same result.
Troubleshooter then suggested doing the same directly with the master socket. However, to do that, I must either have the PC moved to the "wrong" bit of the house or have and ethernet cable about sixty feet long and trailing about the floor and up the stairs to the PC.

The existing set up via an extention phone socket upstairs in the PC room works fine for the ST330 modem.

What may be the problem, and can it be cured short of rejigging the house. ?

Any help or comments would be gratefully received..........no router...no faster line (possibly)...no point in moving from Virgin... :(   

I now notice that the Netgear is described as an ADSL2+ router............have I bought the wrong machine....does the 2+ bit indicate that there is something about my connection at the exchange that is lacking ?

Thank you in advance.

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: netgear DG834G v4
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 02:12:50 PM »

Have you correctly entered the login details (username and password) for your current ISP into the router?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 02:16:50 PM »

Thank you for your time and trouble in replying..............I cannot do that, I don't think............I cannot get a connection to the internet and there is no option within the set-up disc for that.....unless I am missing something on that disc, but I don't think so.

Should I be able to do that "off-line" ?

Thank you again.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:28:30 PM »

Hiya TD,

I also have a DG834G v4, and seem to remember a similar type problem when I first started using it. I had to go through the setup procedure more than once before realising that it hadn't saved my ISP login info correctly. I think I am correct in stating that you will not get the Internet light to glow green until you complete a successful login to your ISP. That can only be achieved with the correct login information saved in the router. The ADSL2+ issue should be of no concern at the moment as I believe that the router will adapt to your existing service. I certainly used mine for a considerable time on an up to 8Mb service from PlusNet, although I have since yesterday been on their ADSL2+ trial.

TTFN

Mick

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 02:40:37 PM »

You don't need to connect to the test socket - your modem works fine from the extension socket, so the router should do the same. The easiest thing to do is ignore the setup disc and enter the details manually.

1. Connect up the router, switch it on, wait 30 seconds, then boot the PC.
2. Open a browser, and type the address 192.168.0.1 in the address bar.
3. You will be asked to login to the router: the user name is 'admin' and the password is 'password'.
4. Run the setup wizard and let it autodetect the type of connection.
5. You should get a PPPoA login setup: enter your ISP login details.
6. Any other questions can be left with the default answers.
7. When the wizard finishes you should be connected and working.

(Edited to correct the numbers :) )
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 03:36:22 PM by roseway »
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »

I'll second what Roseway said.
Chances are that the ONLY thing missing or incorrect is your internet logon/password. The fact that the other lights are on means it's seeing everything and "ready to go".
Accessing Netgear routers via the web interface is very easy and designed for non-expert users; no need for the setup CD at all.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 04:21:39 PM »

Thank you, gentlemen for your advices.

I have now tried the above routine twice and still cannot connect.
When I open a browser and type the address as given into the address bar I get "error cannot connect to the page requested....no internet connection"

I will stick with my ST330.

Thank you for your time and trouble in trying to reolve this matter.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 04:37:04 PM »

The only other thing it can be then (I think) is that your ethernet interface isn't working. If you want to have another go some time, we'll be happy to try to help. Sorry that we didn't get there this time. :'(
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 04:53:26 PM »

Ah, is the ethernet interface the same as the network controller......which I now see is disabled...............can't actually see anything called ethernet interface (or similar) in the device manager.

Thank you again.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 05:01:08 PM »

Yes, the ethernet interface is the network interface, so if the controller is disabled that's the problem.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 05:05:34 PM »

Thank you..............off to try again.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 05:24:45 PM »

In Device Manager expand the Network adapters section (green icon) and list everything there.
A network adapter will probably include the word "LAN" or "Ethernet" or "10/100" depending on make/model.
(anything like 1394 is "firewire" so not what you need)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 05:31:27 PM »

Gentlemen, I thank you all again for your time, trouble and supreme patience in trying to assist old TD to get his router working.............and old TD is mighty relieved to say that he is now able to post on here courtesy of Netgear and the experts of Kitz forum........ :clap:

Will now bone up on security issues....... :D

Can I ask one more question.......as I am not acually on a network, I don't really want the wireless capability in the router.........can that be turned off ?

Ooooohooooo the speed, the speed........... :D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 05:35:16 PM »

Excellent news TD,once again it shows what brilliant help and support you get on these forums.  :clap2:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 05:39:46 PM »

Too very true, unkyUb..........great knowledge and great people.........we are indeed truly fortunate to have such able and willing to give of their time and expertise to the less aware such as old TD.

ps..........have found how to disable the wireless bit, and have done so.

pps.........will now prepare some routerstats to post..... >:D
Pages: [1] 2 3