Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HP Printers  (Read 6603 times)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
HP Printers
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:46:50 AM »

I have recently dumped a broken printer, it was a very reliable HP Deskjet 950c until 2 weeks ago when it went t**s up  :'(. The replacement is a Canon Multifunction whatsit which seems OK.

The point is that I have 4 printer cartridges for the HP, 2 are part used the other 2 are brand new.  They are Part Nos 54645A Black high capacity and C6578A Colour high capacity, one set of each.

I don't mind recycling the part used ones at Darent Valley Hospital where Mrs FC works but would like to pass on the unused ones to a good home.

So, can anybody on this forum use them, just for the cost of the postage?
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: HP Printers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »

Thanks for the offer felis, my current one is an epson,

bit OT but which canon multifunction did you get?  Ive had my eyes on a PIXMA MP540 for a while.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:14:03 PM »

It is an MP540 wot I got.  Seems OK, printing and copying work fine, not sure about the scanner bit yet, not really tried it.

There are newer drivers on the Canon web site at:

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010641.asp

More complex and not quite as sturdy as the HP, but then the Canon cost me about £80 whereas the HP was nearly £200 in 2001.

I'm happy with it.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:37:05 PM »

There are newer drivers on the Canon web site at:

I'm happy with it.

You can't be that happy with it if you want/need to try updating the drivers already.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 02:24:38 PM »

Thanks for the info felis.   From the tech specs it looked pretty good for the £. 
Its one of those things that I seem to keep putting on the backburner due to other bills keep coming up.  Play did have it at a cheaper price than they do currently and Im living in the hope that it does go back down a tad more.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »

Amazon UK have it at £72.35 at the moment:

see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-2919B008AA-PIXMA-MP540-Printer/dp/B001EO6Z5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240840958&sr=1-1 .

Free postage if you don't mind waiting a couple of extra days for delivery  ;D

Re drivers:

I was always brought up to download and install the latest drivers before the hardware.  The ones supplied on CD can be several versions out of date and are presently supporting my mug of tea.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 04:12:46 PM »

The ones supplied on CD can be several versions out of date and are presently supporting my mug of tea.

That's as maybe, but I'm a "oldfogy" and think if it works then that's fine by me.

Call me a stick-in-the-mud if you want, but apart from security software I can't honestly remember the last time I ever updated a driver (except for Graphics, SATA & M$).

Although I do have my fair share of PC problems these are usually "self inflicted" with trying various programs that have been DL and don't work properly (don't ask).
One such example was a automatic driver update program recently, which created merry hell with some parts of the PC.

Other than that I never suffer from any driver related problem/s.
Or programs that do not function properly (that I know of)

Sorry if this is/has gone OT slightly.
But good luck with your printer, also Kitz when she eventually gets hers'.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »

> I can't honestly remember the last time I ever updated a driver (except for Graphics, SATA & M$).

Which of course is your perogative, and is a sound and safe way to operate. Although I don't really know why you would single out the graphics and SATA drivers to update - unless you were having probs with the aforementioned devices?

However... be there are also a lot of people who work differently to yourself, especially when installing a new device. I'll look on the manufacturer's website to see if there's any updated drivers, look at what issues they've fixed since the ones on the supplied CD, and usually download and install those instead. That way, I still only install one version of the drivers, but the latest ones. My logic: they've been updated for a reason, probably because something with them was broken!

Nothing wrong with either way of working though!
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 03:43:55 PM »

Or to put it a different way, if it ain't broke, keep on fixing it until it is. :lol:
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 06:35:13 PM »

Although I don't really know why you would single out the graphics and SATA drivers to update - unless you were having probs with the aforementioned devices?

No problems, just that M$ updates showed a update for them so I allowed it.

Or to put it a different way, if it ain't broke, keep on fixing it until it is. :lol:

> keep on fixing it until it is.  :cry2:
Don't laugh but:

I just this minute broke my Epson R300 printer doing a mod for the ink overflow.
No way can I repair it, so have dig out my old spare which was replaced with this one a couple of years ago because it developed a slight fault
(but they never asked for the old one, so I still have it.)

"Not a happy bunny at the moment"  :cry2:

edit.
Well at least my old printer that has not been used for over 2 years only needed a couple of head cleans and is now setup and working.
(I had left some old cartridges in it, in the hope that the heads would not dry out and it seems to have been a wise decision)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:18:44 PM by oldfogy »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »

Well at least my old printer that has not been used for over 2 years only needed a couple of head cleans and is now setup and working.
(I had left some old cartridges in it, in the hope that the heads would not dry out and it seems to have been a wise decision)

A result (of sorts) then. :)  It's always handy to have a backup.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 02:02:32 PM »

Actually with a smidgen of Araldite and the patience of a saint I managed to glue the broken piece back on, bearing in mind it was a tube only 2.5mm long and 2mm wide with a hole running through the middle, not to mention in a place that was realy hard to get at.

But it also did me a favour of sorts, because it gave me the opportunity to play around with another modification I had been thinking of for some time (CISS unit) and if it didn't work as I wanted it to then it would not matter as the printer was broke anyway.

So the repair went well and the CISS modification is also now in place, all I need now is to find something to print.

anything