Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netgear DG834GT - versions?  (Read 6795 times)

jack21

• Reg Member
Netgear DG834GT - versions?
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:54:47 AM »

Hi,

I'm on a long line (6km) with 68db attenuation, and have been trying different modems to find the best to suit my conditions. At the moment, my favourite is a DG834G V4 with DGTeam 0849 firmware - it performs really well, and has enabled me to reach a profile of 1250 for the first time ever (sync rate 1568 - SNRM 6.5-7.0). Having read around, I'd like to try a DG834GT, but before I jump in and buy one, is there any particular version to go for, and any to avoid (eg they don't permit DGTeam firmware installs). I would want to have DMT or DGTeam control of the SNRM, and ideally, telnet access?

Hope you can advise, thanks.
Jack

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Netgear DG834GT - versions?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:34:44 AM »

The GT is virtually identical to the Gv4 so why bother?

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:42:19 AM »

Thats the best possible answer; a no-cost option for me :)
But what is it about the GT that makes it  more costly than the G  (on Ebay), and very high user-ratings (on Amazon) - the wi-fi performance?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:03:53 AM »

You can get 108mbps wi-fi if you have the right adapter in the PC (otherwise normal 54mbps) with GT.
There are several version of the G with different chipsets and firmware, many people don't realise the Gv4 is essentially the same as the GT. I think it uses the same firmware too (check the Netgear site).

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 09:16:24 AM »

OK, thanks, I'll save my £s....the DG834G is doing me well; the ONLY adverse thing that I'd say about it is that its wireless signal doesn't seem as strong as any of the others I tried; it needed some attention re positioning/channel selection to get it dependable.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 10:15:29 AM »

The DG834Gv4 and the DG834GT both use the Broadcom BCM6348 chipset, but they don't appear to use the same firmware.
  Eric

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:22:23 AM »

Oh, well maybe its worth a try-out anyway then, as well as having used (and still using) the Gv4. Back to the question re version-to-buy.......is there a specific one to go for?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 10:36:59 AM »

As HP said, the only difference is that the GT provides a faster wireless capability. This won't make any difference to the internet performance, but can give you faster transfers between computers on your own network.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 10:53:41 AM »

As previously mentioned on the adsl side of things it uses the same adsl chipset as the DG834v4 but is more expensive due to having super G 108Mb wireless technology, which why it requires different firmware.

>> is there a specific one to go for

Theres only been one version of the GT.   
Even the old sky DG834GT routers that you can pick up cheaper on ebay under the hood are standard DG834GTs if you feel inclined to flash the firmware.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 10:58:36 AM »

Thanks Roseway; I've just been offered a try-b4-buy GT, so I'll give it a go. I've been buying routers off Ebay, assessing them, and then reselling those found unsuitable - often making a loss in the process - so try-b4-buy seems OK. Even if the GT is similar ADSL performance to the G, a wireless improvement would give it the edge.

I will add that the speediest performer on my line so far has been a Billion 7300A - almost 2000kbps at around SNRM 6 (at best-time-of-day), BUT it drops out during evening/night, so my profile suffers. Still, as I rarely function myself after teatime, I could use the Billion during the day and then switch it off before the drops.

Regards,
Jack

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 09:10:51 PM »

As well as the DG834GT, you could also consider the DG834Gv3 which is based on the TI AR7 chipset and can be very effective on long lines.  If you want a cheap one look up the Sky DG934G  (I currently use one myself on a longish line) - there are plenty to be had on ebay - which is a DG834Gv3 but made especially for Sky.  It will require flashing from standard Sky firmware but this is straightforward to do, and although you can install DGTeam on it I'm running with standard Netgear firmware.  I've been so impressed with it's performance I went back and bought a spare (both of them new/sealed for less than a fiver each).

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 07:06:27 AM »

Thanks orainsear, I have tried a V3 (and a V1), both with the original firmware and with DGT. Though they gave low error rates, and hung on to sync completely, I could not get them to achieve anything like the sync rate of the tweaked V4 - the max I ever saw was around the 1050 mark, whereas the V4 has reached nearly 1700 at peak.

Less than a fiver is a v good buy tho !!