Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trying to prevent password detection?  (Read 2283 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Trying to prevent password detection?
« on: March 12, 2009, 04:39:39 PM »

Hope I've posted this in the right place.  I was just wondering what difference it would (if any).... if when having to type in one's account number/id etc and password on any site (tho specifically I do it on my bank site), if one opens a "create new message" in Outlook Express, type in the body (but no email address of course) your account number and password then copy and paste each to the relevant box on the site you are going in to?

I've been doing that for a while now thinking that it might prevent key logging by the scrawny necked shhh*te out there....yet I don't know if it would actually do that or have any prevention relevance at all, does anyone know?

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Trying to prevent password detection?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »

Using copy and paste can reduce the risk of the more simple keyloggers that capture keystrokes, but there are more sophisticated keyloggers that would also be able to capture this information from c+P if they so wished.

Best form of security is to make sure your AV is up to date, you use firewall/malware protection and ensure that you follow all the sensible rules of being online.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Re: Trying to prevent password detection?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 06:20:30 AM »

Using copy and paste can reduce the risk of the more simple keyloggers that capture keystrokes, but there are more sophisticated keyloggers that would also be able to capture this information from c+P if they so wished.

Best form of security is to make sure your AV is up to date, you use firewall/malware protection and ensure that you follow all the sensible rules of being online.

Thanks kitz, yep I do have all the security things in place so hopefully that's ok...so far so good.  I just thought I'd ask about the c and p that I do with passwords et al...I guess I knew they'd have found a way to obtain any info if they want it....bluddy swines  >:(
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......