Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Iplate = Slow speed  (Read 4725 times)

mfltch

• Just arrived
BT Iplate = Slow speed
« on: March 07, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »

Since installing the iplate my sync speed has decreaed from 1870 which used to give me 1480kbps speed , now I get 875 tops. Ive taken it off and it goes up slightly to 1340 sync . Does anyone know why my speed wont now sync at the 1870 that it used to ? tried straight to the master and all that running no extensions etc. Help would be appreciated, as BT are useless ( phoned them 4 times ) and they talk to me like a child

[attachment deleted by admin]

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
Re: BT Iplate = Slow speed
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 05:10:58 PM »

Looks like you are on a long line there :(

Can you post the line stats when you are plugged directly in to the test socket?
This should show the best you can expect to achieve - to get the highest results I would try tomorrow now, as this time of night SNRM will be reduced.

There's always the chance you've disturbed your extension wiring when you installed the iPlate - so seeing your 'test socket' results will help.

"Help would be appreciated, as BT are useless ( phoned them 4 times ) and they talk to me like a child."
If you can't do that, then go and sit in the corner!  :graduate:

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:56:06 PM »

HI and welcome

Have you looked at this page it might be of help  :)
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Regards Jeff
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 05:58:58 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

mfltch

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 07:44:41 PM »

B4dger ,

I live approx 3.7km from exchange  :(

Here are my updated stats from line/exchange test socket , I just think its pretty odd that for over 2 years i Consistently reached speeds of about 1.4mb &synced at 18odd kbps  now i struggle to get 0.9mb. Tried everything. is there something that BT can do at the exchange do you think ?

At wits end cos 1.4mb is slow enough but 0.9mb ????only reason i bought iplate was to improve on top figure NOT to lose sync . BT  option 3 nearly £25 a month , its not great value.
Attached former speed test result as well .

Thanks for the prompt reply.

[attachment deleted by admin]

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:30:44 PM »

Since installing the iplate my sync speed has decreaed from 1870 which used to give me 1480kbps speed , now I get 875 tops

You get a sync speed of max 875 kbps with the Iplate installed?  Perhaps you'd be better removing the bell wire if it's still attached and using a filtered faceplate.

What may have happened is that when installing your Iplate, or some other line disturbance, your target SNR margin could have automatically been raised.  It looks like the current target is probably 12dB, and if it was e.g. 6dB or 9dB previously this may have been enough of a shift to move you from the bRAS profile band you enjoyed previously.

mfltch

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 10:15:01 PM »

I never really looked at the noise magin before so i cant comment on that but it seems that u know what your talking about so i guess that may well be the prob, can it be fixed ???

Also my house is just over 2 years old & when i inspected the master socket it only has 2 wires attached blue & white coming straight from the street, so im thinking no bell wire.  The extension wire is in the cavaty of the wall with additional points x2 elsewhere but they have never been connected . Galling thing is my mate & i bought iplates on same day & he went from 950kbps to 2.7mb .. grrrrrr

Do you think this is a problem i just have to live with ?

Thanks for your response.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:28:43 AM »

Two wires 'from the street' is correct. The bell wire is on your side of the wiring.

You say the extension wires aren't connected? When you take the removable face plate off your master socket to reveal the TEST socket are there any wires attached? If you haven't got any extensions connected then the iPlate won't buy you anything.

I would still try re-syncing during the day (as I mentioned you will normally get a lower sync in the evening/night due) to see what you get.

But as has been mentioned it's possible your rebooting etc. has caused your Target SNR to be raised and so reducing your speed. If you can get a stable connection this can lower over time.

I would see what your line stats are now during the day directly in the TEST socket and then record the line stats via the iPlate (careful not to re-start the router too often though as it's easy to upset the exchange equipment!).

Hope this makes sense!

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 09:40:25 AM »

Hi
Try not to do more than 1 reboot a day ,as the more you do the more the system will see it as unstable .I would let things settle . If everything remains stable the eventually the SNR margin should drop. It is NOT done quickly. Probably 3 to 4 weeks thats what I found .

Regards Jeff
zen user

anything