Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Monday 15 Dec Chat  (Read 4540 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Monday 15 Dec Chat
« on: December 15, 2008, 08:21:55 AM »

,everyone.
Still very cold,whats happened to this mild December weather we usually get.
When Sue returns from work her friend is coming to do her hair so I will be keeping upstairs out of the way.
Counting the days now till Thursday when I pick up my son from Manchester airport,its been nearly 10 months since I've seen him.
Hope you all have a good day.  :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Monday 15 Dec Chat
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:32:59 AM »

Morning all.... not as cold down here overnight - been about 7°C all night but its dropping now..... wind will be NE - E here today known as 'The Big Chill' so its likely to get colder again.

UncleUB I love all these graphics you use, are they home grown by you or do the come from the 'net somewhere?
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 08:38:55 AM »

Your clock gave me a nudge Unc !!    Bonjour !  (my little waving  French friend is having a rest !)

I can't see much down the track at  the moment, the vineyards are shrouded in the misty morning ! so sorry TD I can't put up one of your favourite features   ;)

I'm sure your son is feeling exactly the same Unc  ....   :)   

I'm catching up with a few letters and 'phone calls, and chasing up a few things that haven't arrived yet  !   time seems to be poised to overtake me at the moment.  We are getting ready to take off next Sunday for a few days down to San Sebastian, it's a particular favourite of ours; we spent last Christmas there and decided to do the same this year.

Hope your day is a good one  ....

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 08:40:15 AM »

Morning all.... not as cold down here overnight - been about 7°C all night but its dropping now..... wind will be NE - E here today known as 'The Big Chill' so its likely to get colder again.

UncleUB I love all these graphics you use, are they home grown by you or do the come from the 'net somewhere?

I wish I had the talent to do them myself Broadstairs,but I just pick them up on my travels so to speak.I think it just brightens things up a little on these dark,cold mornings.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 08:50:13 AM »

Your clock gave me a nudge Unc !!    Bonjour !  (my little waving  French friend is having a rest !)

I can't see much down the track at  the moment, the vineyards are shrouded in the misty morning ! so sorry TD I can't put up one of your favourite features   ;)

I'm sure your son is feeling exactly the same Unc  ....   :)   

I'm catching up with a few letters and 'phone calls, and chasing up a few things that haven't arrived yet  !   time seems to be poised to overtake me at the moment.  We are getting ready to take off next Sunday for a few days down to San Sebastian, it's a particular favourite of ours; we spent last Christmas there and decided to do the same this year.

Hope your day is a good one  ....

TD is also ready to come with you Kate for some Spanish sunshine .

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 09:45:29 AM »

I take it he'll be flying down   :D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »

Buenos dias, si si...............TD is polishing his wings all ready...........dashes off to buy Spanish dictionary.

Hope you are all well today.

Off to the bright lights this morning, then.....nada...........a snooze by a nice log fire methinks.

Have fun.  ;D

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 10:39:55 AM »

Felling a little a wan and wobbly to-day, so skived off work, ensconced on sofa wrapped in a large pink wool blanket, its one of those Witney Cellular ones that we all had before duvets became the rage. I'm glad I kept it even though its a pig to wash.

Just as a point of interest Mrs Scottiesmum, do the French make a big thing out of Christmas or is it more low key than here.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 10:55:36 AM »

Morning all,

Hope you feel better soon Yorkie, think you're in the best place and wrapped by that blanket  :)

Bet you are counting the days Uncy, wonderful reunion coming up for you all, enjoy your time with the family.  I think those graphics are great, I'm always waiting to see what you will post next so thank you for that, they do brighten the day whatever the weather!

Me too TD... bright lights and all that...ugh.. food shopping though lol.... and the snooze this after won't unfortunately be by a log fire  :( but the heating will be up lol.

Hope you enjoy your sojourn in Espana Kate... very nice too, I do hope you will post some photos at a later date please?

Have a good day everyone whatever you're up to....I guess this time next week the children will be off school to terrorise people in the shops (cynic?  Moi?)..... thinking of getting as much as I can this week so that I don't have to linger too long in those places next week.  Children?  Love em, but not for dinner!

Take care KOKO

Chrissie

PS.... my granddaughter was on TV last night... only in the audience of the Sunday project thingy show on Ch4... don't watch it usually but had to look in cos she was there.  She was on several times as they seemed to focus on her and where she sat  ;D  I'm wondering if I can get a photograph from a still shot as I recorded the show.... I'll have to try as some of the shots are really nice of her.
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 12:19:22 PM »

Allo, Allo again !!      Hope you feel better soon Yorkie, it seems that everyone I've spoken to in the UK in the last few days are full of cold, flu or both  :o I've disinfected the 'phone  :D

Chrissie I'm sure you'll  be able to get photos from your recording,  I once did some of the last Concorde flight directly from the news broadcast and they worked out OK....  put on some steel capped shoes for the shopping expedition,  they work even better than shopping trolleys   >:D

Christmas here is a lot  less 'hyper' than  in the UK, it doesn't  start in August   ;D    Christmas eve is usually the time for the big family meal,  before or after  Church  depending on the family. Gifts are exchanged at that meal, then Christmas Day is concentrated on the children, although as you can imagine there is food involved  !!    then that's it until New Years Eve.  No boxing day ! On New Years Eve  they have what  is referred to as 'le reveillon " which literally means Eve but usually refers to a "do" these are held either at home, local village halls, restaurants and hotels, and it is the "grown ups" turn, although children are there as well.  The event usually starts at about 9pm and the meal usually takes the form of   ..... aperitif with nibbles,  oysters (sometimes served with a pâté dish)  then lobster/langoustines and other shellfish, a sorbet,  main course  -   beef, venison, goose, duck or whatever  (one of those  !!)  with vegetables, usually no potatoes,  then onto the salad  (green) and cheese  ( cheese is always eaten before the pudding here  ....  salt before sugar and all that)   the cheeseboard is usually a large one.  I remember one  restaurant reveillon where the cheeseboard had 22 cheeses to choose from ) then the dessert which is normally  a  gateau  St.Honoré, made up of lots profiteroles - all this is accompanied  by the various white and red wines, and Champagne with the dessert ....then coffee    ...   are you full yet ??? :D   The meal takes hours to eat, as it is interspersed with  dancing, and it's not all  shaking about disco ....   proper close up dancing.  Young and old do the quick step, foxtrot, tango  etc.        Once the meal is finally over, the dancing goes on into the wee small hours and then at about 6 am they serve Onion Soup !!!  (just in case you're peckish  :lol:)  It is absolutely exhausting and it's a couple of years since we last went to one.   We've been to various family celebrations, of French friends  who have 'adopted us' and whilst there's not as much dancing there's plenty of eating.  At midnight there is no Auld Lang Seine just a couple of fireworks, then the Bonne Année's start ...and at a large do it can take quite a long time !     In all the time we've been going to these, and other celebratory do's I've never seen anyone drunk  .....  they are just trained for it  .... you certainly need a lot of stamina to live here  ;D   New Years Day is of course a holiday  !!!   then it's all back to normal 

I hope you're not sorry you asked Yorkie  :lol:

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 12:37:33 PM »

I hate the way New years is progressively becoming more of a "Lets get absolutely ratted" night as opposed to just have a good time with freinds night much in the way Stag nights have become and now more commonly Hen nights.

I was best man at a freinds wedding years ago, both me and my dad could see where things were going, the grooms dad and dad's best freind along with the land lord and lady of the pup were all childishly getting him as drunk as possible (normaly all sensible adults) After we got him back to his parents, I spent most of the night and part of next morling with the poor soul pinned on his side as he kept throwing up in his sleep, and he wanted to lie on his back. In the end I was so tired I could only keep him on his side by standing with one foot either side of his chest pinning him between my ankles constantly keeping his throat clear.

Never been to a Stag due scince, put me off so I always make some excuse.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 12:39:25 PM »

:D

Quick snack chez scottiesmum.

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »

No Boxing Day!! - no wonder they revolted in 17whenever. ;D

With all that food the alcohol wouldn't stand a chance.

Actually its all about pacing yourself, which seems to be a lost art in this country.

I thought with France being a Roman Catholic country that Christmas day would be more subdued.

scottiesmum

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »

I thought with France being a Roman Catholic country that Christmas day would be more subdued.

It's New Years Day that's subdued   :lol:

The Christmas Eve service is the main one, but there is one on Christmas morning as well   .....  One thing the Church have got a bit of clout  (at the moment) with here, is Sunday opening   ..generally only shops in a town/village where there is a Sunday morning market are allowed to open until 12 noon   (with the exception of the Boulangerie of course which is open 365 days a year !!)    Special permission has been  given this year for a general  Sunday opening on the 21st and 28th December but ( a recent national survey showed) on the whole people are against Sunday opening. 

With all that food the alcohol wouldn't stand a chance.

Perhaps instead of bubbles and flip-flops  ::)   authorities over there should start force feeding   :D

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 06:35:14 PM »

Hi
I still remember going to the  Boulangerie as a very young boy to get the bread . when you got it in those days it had to be exact weight.So most times you would get a piece extra with the loaf . this never seemed to reach home  ::)
zen user
Pages: [1] 2

anything