Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You couldn't make it up ! ! !  (Read 6249 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
You couldn't make it up ! ! !
« on: November 28, 2008, 10:08:11 PM »

http://www.lep.co.uk/weirdnews/Drunken-women-to-be-given.4741777.jp

The flip-flops will have messages about safe alcohol limits printed on them

Must be so that when they fall on their 'b u m s' they will be able to read how much they should have drunk.
                                                                              Good thinking, Robin.

"Hey! Your flip-flop says you shouldn't have swigged that last bottle of Bud!"

dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: You couldn't make it up ! ! !
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:11:01 AM »

The flip-flops will have messages about safe alcohol limits printed on them and will be paid for by Government funding.

The scheme is set to begin next month.

I had to check the date - just to make sure I hadn't time warped to April 1st, or that the article wasnt dated for April fools day.

OK its not..  but Government......  fools and joke does seem appropriate.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 08:48:41 AM »

Absolutely beyond belief !!!

I'm totally stunned

If I'm reading the article correctly, these flip-flops will supposedly have a safe alcohol limit message. I wonder at what point the poor little darlings are expected to read these messages. The last thing I would want to be reading when coming out of a hangover, or indeed while I am totally plastered,  is anything about sensible drinking limits !!!!
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 09:21:09 AM »

Absolute madness.  >:(

Why does the tax payer have to keep picking up the bill for all this ?The policing,paramedics,A&E dept etc etc.Why can't one of these idiots in Westminster have the back bone to stand up and say enough's enough,lets start charging all these drunks and trouble causes.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 09:36:14 AM »

I think it may have something to do with the extra revenue that excessive drinking brings to the exchequer - I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. The fact that these flip-flops will be paid for by Government funding kind of sums it all up for me.

Totally agree with the comments about Joe Public constantly having to pick up the tab, but unless we all make our feelings known how will these idiot politicians  (chimpanzee replacements ;-) ), ever know how we all feel about this and tons of other things as well.
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:25:49 AM »

The purveyors of alcohol    (ie  landlords/managers, clubs,) should  take some responsibility.  It MUST be obvious when people are in an already inebriated state, and to continue to 'supply' these people with the extraordinary amount of alcohol they demand is, IMO, at least  irresponsible, and verging on criminality.   Surely everyone should have Civil Responsibility.   I appreciate that no-one forces these 'nuisances' to go out and drink themselves stupid, but others should stop thinking about profits, and stop aiding and abetting.   

With Jacqui Smith as Home Secretary, it is no surprise to me  that the 'flop flop fiasco' is being  backed by funding from the Home Office !

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 10:40:13 AM »

I agree about responsibility but when greed steps in and the licencees pack them in, wall-to-wall boozers, there is no way that anyone can keep an eye on the ones getting drunk. With disco lighting etc it is impossible to monitor them and, obviously, the 'less drunken one' goes to the bar to get served with drinks for the whole party.
It is not the bar staffs fault that they cannot spot someone who is 'well gone' because their mates will have them hidden away in a dark corner. This also applies to the underage ones too.

I have forgotten the ratio but the fire department restrict the capacity to the number of square feet floor area and the number of people. So even when door staff use counters to click people going in and those coming out, the ratio set down by government is far too small an area per person. By the way it is calculated ignoring things like pillars and other fixtures, so there is actually less floor space than assumed.
The ratio of floor space should be increased by 33% to make the places more comfortable, more manageable and easier to monitor both by security staff and cameras.

To off set the loss of profits, the price of drinks should be increased to a sensible price instead of these binge drinking offers. It would not stop the situation but it would make it easier to control. I know prevention is better that cure but that would be impossible, but make the 'cure' easier to administer and you are part way there.

Just my opinion.
dave

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 11:19:23 AM »

PROFIT,that some it up in one word.When you look at the price of booze in the supermarkets at present you would think they are trying to turn us into a nation of alcoholic's
They pile it up to the ceiling then stick a little footnote on their TV adverts 'Drink Aware' and suddenly that makes everything alright.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »

There's an easy answer. Enforce the law. Simply give the police the power to immediately revoke a bar/club's license for a period of 30 days. I bet their policies change then!

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 11:37:23 AM »

Agree with you UncleUB, this week I visited the local ASDA where a case of 18 x 284ml bottles of Stella Artois (my fave tipple) was priced at £16. However, buy 2 and the price goes down to £10 per case. I bought 3 and they will see me through until well into the New Year. I don't need a pair of those flip flops to make me think about drinking more sensibly. Maybe I ought to get out more !!!

If scottiesmum is right and this whole scheme is the brainchild of one Jacqui Smith - I think there's probably little more that needs to be said. Having heard her talk during a TV interview, my thought at the time was how on earth did this female get to be a member of the Cabinet. She seems to me to be complete EMPTY between the ears.
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 11:44:55 AM »

Just a thought, if an item say is £10 for 1,or£16 for 2,or £20 for 3.My question is this,how many would you have to buy before they were free.  :shrug2:

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 11:49:42 AM »

Just a thought, if an item say is £10 for 1,or£16 for 2,or £20 for 3.My question is this,how many would you have to buy before they were free.  :shrug2:

Hang in there, Phil. Just gettttin myyy callllcullllatabacus (hic) out to sheckk four yew.

daaaaveee.  :P

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/7753971.stm

The above BBC article states that the funding is from the Home Office,  and Jacqui Smith is the Home Secretary   ..... any funding to Local Councils/services is via the Home Office.. I totally agree with you Toulouse re the capabilities (or lack of them) of the present holder of this Government Office, one of the lost important IMO of any country, I think she is a dead loss, AND her hair always looks greasy   (always a bad sign  :D)

Re the cheap prices of alcohol ...it is cheap here too !  It's people's attitude to drinking that needs to change.    I  feel strongly that if young people were introduced to alcohol in a sensible way from an early age, as they are in  the southern European countries, they would learn to respect it and, as a consequence, each other.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »

AND her hair always looks greasy

How the hell did she get voted in with greasy hair?   :o

Standards are dropping all the time.  :no:

Head + Shoulders Shampoo Citrus Fresh For Greasy Hair

dave
Head of marketing for greasy hair shampoo

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 12:11:43 PM »

I bet they're made in China as well and are imported.

I hate flip-flops except for where they are intended, one of my pet hates is men with hairy legs in knee length shorts and flip-flops, I really do not need to see mens ugly feet  first thing in a morning on my way to work (well not at the moment, 'cos they'd get frost bite).
Pages: [1] 2

anything