Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Authentication Failure  (Read 11292 times)

ekky

• Just arrived
Authentication Failure
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »

I've been helping a relative with connection to the internet but things have gone badly wrong.

She should have been online at the end of October, it's now the end of November and we haven't been able to connect at all since the line was supposedly activated.

Every time we try we get an authentication failure.  The power, network and broadband lights are illuminated on the router but the internet light is not.

I am typing the user name and password correctly - the same details can be used on the ISP's web site on a working connection to access web mail etc and that functions properly.

I've spent hours on the telephone to the technical support resetting the router, re-entering the username and password without success.

I've been asked to try the test accounts and the BT one is successful but the one using the ISP's domain is not.

During the latest call the ISP's technical support the representative said that the line was working and that there had been over 200Mb  download since activation!  Given that we've always had authentication failure and never had the internet light illuminated (apart from with the BT test logon) it's impossible for us to be responsible for the downloads.  Also, apart from when we're trying to log in, the PC and router are switched off because they aren't working.

Can anybody explain to me what might be happening?  I'm convinced it's not related to either our PC, the router or the line (because of the BT test logon success) but the ISP seems very reluctant (presumably becasue of potential for charges) to contact BT and have them investigate.  I need some technical advice to get things moving again.

Please help.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Authentication Failure
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 09:56:08 PM »

Which ISP?

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 09:58:42 PM »

Also what router?

dave.

ps.
Welcome to the forums.
Should be able to get the problem sorted but a few details would be of help.
How are you connecting (or trying) wired or wirelessly?

dav e

ekky

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:50:05 PM »

Thanks.

I've been trawling the web looking for a site offering technical advice so I was really pleased to stumble across kitz.

ISP is Tiscali and the router is a Thomson TG585 V7 if my memory is correct.

I'm following the instructions by the ISP and setting everything up (or trying to) using the wired connection initially.  It appears to have the Tiscali settings built in.  When you go through the manual set-up (as I have done many many times whilst on the phone to tech support) you only have to select PPPoA and enter the username and password and it comes up with everything else.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:55:11 PM by ekky »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:10:29 PM »

I'm afraid that Tiscali doesn't fill us with confidence. You apparently have good sync with the exchange, but your username / password isn't accepted despite checking and rechecking that you've got it right. It's difficult to see any explanation other than a cockup by Tiscali. Frankly I wouldn't waste any more time with them; I would write to them saying that if they cannot provide you with a username / password combination which works then they must give you a MAC code and a refund on the basis that the 'service' is not fit for the purpose intended.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 11:16:39 PM »

Chances are it's wired up wrong (or configured incorrectly in software) at the exchange.
However, given my previous experiences with Tiscali, I wouldn't expect their support to figure it out in any reasonable (i.e. non-geological) timeframe.
As suggested, ask for your money back and a MAC.
Go to PlusNet. They'll sort it out if it's still an issue.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 12:25:39 AM »

if by bt test log-on you mean bt_test@startup_domain then that proves that you have both sync and connecion to b-ras, if the log-on your isp has given you dosn't work then it's most likely
a) the username or password is incorrectly typed on your router
b) they've given you the wrong info
c) the profile via your isp is incorrectly set up
d) your connected to the wrong port at the exchange

If your isp states they've seen 200mb down loaded on your profile then I would suspect c ?

ekky

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:45:15 AM »

OK thanks guys.

Doesn't sound too promising with Tiscali.

I feel very guilty about it because I arranged everything and it's her first experience with PC's and the internet (actually she's yet to experience the internet).  Unsurprisingly she's a bit put off by the whole episode.

Pity I didn't find this site before I signed her up.

When you say "write to them" do you mean through the post or is an email sufficient?

Also, we have a wireless router supplied by them which presumably we'll need to send back?  We don't want charging for it unless it will work with other ISP's but it seems to have some Tiscali setup wizard built in so I guess it's unlikely to work?

Thanks again.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 08:16:47 AM »

Tiscali are as slippery as a barrel full of eels, so I would write them a snailmail letter, and maybe also send it by recorded delivery. I suppose, to be fair to you, you ought to give it one more try via Tiscali support; I suggest that you use Ezzer's info as the basis of your argument.

As regards the router, if you do cancel then they will presumably want it back or will charge you for it. I expect that it can be re-flashed with the manufacturer's firmware to make it usable with other ISPs, but you would probably do better to give it back and buy one of your own choice.
  Eric

ekky

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 09:27:37 AM »

Thanks again guys.

We'd already decided to give them until the end of this week to sort it out and if not cancel.

They're calling back tonight so I'll use ezzers information to try and get them to do something.

If we don't get anywhere then I'll also make sure we send the cancellation letter recorded delivery and also cancel the direct debit.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 09:32:27 AM »

If we don't get anywhere then I'll also make sure we send the cancellation letter recorded delivery and also cancel the direct debit.
Both those are vital.
There's a formal complaints address to write to (on their web site), I think in Milton Keynes, it's the only way I got anywhere.
Ask for the MAC now (you don't have to use it) and as soon as you get it cancel the DD and write.

Ammit

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 09:45:49 AM »

Hi

I don't post often but thought i would give my two cents.

I noticed you've been trying to use the username bt_test@startup_domain - well in my experience (and i could be wrong) this is only for BT connections, if this is a Tiscali connection then you should be using testing@dslconnect.co.uk and password as the password.
However that still doesn't explain why the BT one is working.

I totally agree with everyone here that Tiscali are the most useless bunch of morons I have ever spoken to - it took me 3 attempts at calling them just to find out why they had shut one of our customers email addresses off for no good reason, and i still had no answer!! I would get a MAC code and go through Eclipse who are very very good at what they do and they provide ADSL2+ which is through Tiscali (only you don't have to talk to the morons).

The only things that I can think are that

a - you've been misjumpered or there is a port mismatch at the exhchange
b - someone else is using your username and password (especially if they say they can see download)
c - faulty router, have you tried another one??

I'm really sorry you've had so many problems but I would avoid wasting more time with Tiscali, if you carry on talking to them you won't ever get connected this year!!

ekky

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 10:40:28 AM »

They asked me to try the bt_test@startup_domain so I guess it must be a valid test.

If another new user had been sent our account login info. would that cause authentication failure?

I don't have a spare modem - I use cable in my area and most of the people I know are also set-up that way.  Unfortunately it's not available where we have the Tiscali account.

Also, I've just been called by tech support again (they were supposed to ring after 7pm tonight), and they asked for amanda, which is not my name or the relatives name.  They also had the wrong phone number for the account.  Is it likely to be related to the problem or is it just another example of incompetence?

Ammit

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 10:54:17 AM »

:lol:

They are truly useless morons of the highest order!

Based on what you've said I would be suspicious that someone else has been given your login details or vice versa..... and no it would not authenticate. 

So 200MB has been downloaded on your account, they have the wrong name nad telephone number for the account and you can autheticate on a test username....hmmmmm!! I am seriously leaning towards Tiscali screwing this up big time!!

I think you should question whether you've got the correct login details there.....and ask questions of them to that effect!

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 10:57:41 AM »

HI
You didnt happen to have a dial up connection with Tiscali before the Broadband connection ?
Jeff
zen user
Pages: [1] 2