Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Annoying Internet Problem (UPDATED)  (Read 13757 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Annoying Internet Problem (UPDATED)
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »

Theres also some pictures on this page which show the wiring.

As Ezzer says 2+5 (the blue/white pair) are the important ones.
Removing the orange ring wire can often help improve the condition of internal wiring.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Salukigirl

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2008, 12:56:45 PM »

Thank you for the link, that will be my next step, I haven't had time to play around just lately, but I did order a new modem (linksys AM200) which arrived today and I now have it set up and running but I have an ethernet connection this time, have replaced the telephone extension with ethernet wire. So far so good but not going to get too hopeful unless it stays connected for the rest of today. If not then it definitely has to be on BT's end as I have now replaced EVERYTHING I possibly can. It may be my imagination but I could swear my internet seems to be faster since using this new set up.
Out of curiosity can anyone tell me why when I was connected with my old speedtouch, if I hovered my mouse on the internet icon in taskbar, it always used to say 2.2Mbps, and now with the new one it says 100.0Mpbs? Is this a good thing?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2008, 01:15:13 PM »

I think that with your new arrangement, that icon just shows the speed of your local network ethernet connection, not your internet connection.

It will be interesting to hear how it goes now.
  Eric

Salukigirl

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2008, 02:12:59 PM »

Ahhh, I did wonder if it was the ethernet connection.
I don't want to jinx myself but so far so good, I still haven't been disconnected.  I'm going to give it until this evening before I dare even think it fixed it. Will update later on tonight.

Salukigirl

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2008, 09:24:26 PM »

Well, I am SO HAPPY to report that my internet has stayed solidly connected now for over 8 hours, I think I can now safely say my internet is fixed!! ;D ;D ;D Since I moved to this address I have never stayed online for more than about 2 hours (on a rare good day) usually I am thrown off around 3 or 4 times per hour. I can now only think it was some weird problem with me using speedtouch 330 modems but I have no idea what. It wasn't anything to do with me using a telephone extension as it happened when plugged directly into the phone socket. I'd love to know what the problem was but I guess it will have to remain a mystery.
I'd just like to take the chance to say a huge thank you to everyone who helped by suggesting things I could do to narrow my problem down, and thank you for being so patient with me - you guys really are the best and I plan to stick around so I can hopefully learn a lot more.
Anyway, I'm off to go celebrate my new found internet freedom - I've put up with my problems for a year and a half now so this is a real novelty for me! ;D ;D

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2008, 10:34:32 PM »

Hi :) :lol: :) :lol:
I am glad that your problem seems to be fixed
Regards Jeff
zen user

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2008, 10:38:42 PM »

That's really great news! :clap: :congrats:
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2008, 09:42:33 AM »

Excellent news :clap:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]