Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Annoying Internet Problem (UPDATED)  (Read 13545 times)

Salukigirl

Annoying Internet Problem (UPDATED)
« on: September 05, 2008, 10:30:14 AM »

Hi,

I have a problem with my internet and wondered if anyone can help me out.
I am on BT Yahoo Internet, connected by a USB Speedtouch modem (Thomson Speedtouch 330) which came with the package and I have been using for about 4 years. I have had no problem whatsoever with it (as far as I can say I have never been booted offline with it) but I moved to my current address about a year ago and that is when my problems started. Right from the start of hooking up my computer the day I moved in I have had connection problems. When I turn on my computer I never have a problem, but after a while I can't load any pages - it's like I am disconnected but I can still see the connection icon saying I am still connected. If I click disconnect and try to reconnect, it can't connect again unless I either reboot or unplug/replug in my modem, then I can connect. I can be on the internet an hour or more before it does it then other times it will do it a few times an hour. BT told me I don't have a line problem so I figured it must be something to do with my computer. I ended up having to reformat and that didn't fix it, so I connected with my laptop and that had the same problem too. I have used my sisters computer on my connection, and I just bought a new pc - all the computers do it so I know it's nothing to do with my computer so I then tried out another of the exact modem and the other modem did it too so I can't see how it can be a modem problem? The only thing I do differently than I did at my previous address is my extension phone wire is longer as it now has to go upstairs to my bedroom. Someone suggested this may be the problem and if I buy a modem with Ethernet connection I could get round it by using this with the Ethernet wire rather than just using my regular long wire. If this is right, what kind of modem would I need (can you use any modem with any internet connection?) I don't know if my comp has ethernet port, it says 10/100 Ethernet LAN on my documentation so I am thinking that I probably do? I really would appreciate any help as it is beginning to drive me mad and BT are not much help as they don't seem to know why it's happening. I just want reliable internet back!!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:01:30 PM by Salukigirl »

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Annoying Internet Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 11:02:45 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I am not sure if you have tried calling the BT Residential Broadband Help desk (for the little use they might be) but they would have asked you to try your modem at the master telephone socket.

This is the first telephone socket connected to the line where it enters your property. From your post it sounds like this master socket might be the one located downstairs into which you have connected an extension lead?

The purpose of this is that any broadband help desk will ask you to try and connect the modem at the master socket with no extension leads or hardwired extension sockets connected. This is to help determine if the problems are present on the outside line or are caused by internal factors such as poor/faulty wiring, long cable runs and electrical/radio interference.

The Speedtouch 330 is a USB only modem, so you cannot connect it to your computer using an ethernet cable/port.

It is odd that you loose access to the internet yet your modem claims to remain connected. When this next happens, check the ADSL light on the modem and see it if stays steady or or if it goes out/starts flashing which would indicate the broadband has lost connection.

As much of a pain as it is, you may want to identify the master phone socket in your property and try the modem there. I appreciate this might involve relocating the computer temporarily.
If you have an NTE5 style master socket (see link below), then try connecting your modem to the test socket by removing the front panel.

Also consider trying a different microfilter and  modem cable as sometimes these can become faulty, although this is unlikely since the problems only began when you moved home.

Sorry this is rather long and complicated, but hopefully these website pages will help you understand a little about what I am trying to suggest :)

ADSL Line + Connection Problems

Improve your ADSL connection speed (try at master)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:07:24 AM by soms »

Salukigirl

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 11:39:21 AM »

Thank you for your reply!
I called BT a few times then gave up as all they really did was keep making me check my internet settings, which are correct. I will try connecting directly to the master socket without the extensions - this won't be too much of a pain as I can try it out on my laptop, just need to find my modem driver for it first as it's not installed on there right now.
When I lose access, the modem lights both stay green, the internet icon in my taskbar stays on and everything appears to still be online but I cannot access anything. Even if I am in the middle of downloading something, the downloads stop so I know it's not connected (or if it still is, nothing works anymore) The only way I can get a connection after it happens is to either reboot, or do what I normally do, unplug/replug the modem into USB port.  Then when I've done that and try to connect again, when it gets to the verifying username and password part, it tells me this: Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated. I then click cancel and retry and it then connects no problem. This is why I thought it may be a modem problem, but now I'm not sure it could be as the second (same model and make) modem I bought to try out does exactly the same thing.

Edited to add.....
I don't know if this is relevant, but another thing that happens is sometimes (maybe once or twice a week) when I reboot the computer or disconnect/reconnect the modem, one of the green lights will flash and it gets stuck on "Initializing Modem" for quite some time, if I just leave it and wait it eventually initializes and lets me connect.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:57:28 AM by Salukigirl »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 12:10:43 PM »

Just out of interest can you post your line stats from your modem please.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:19:58 PM »

I've seen the 330 get stuck with the sync light on (right hand one staying on solid green) yet it isn't in sync before although as this has started I would suspect it's the card at the exchange, the 734 error code is the clue here. (although I'm trying to remember what 734 is, I've lost my list of errors codes (Err Kitz you havn't still got that list I sent some time ago ? :-[) minds gone blank on that one) :hmm:

Havn't had a 734 come up for some time and if it is what I think then your sync'ing with the exchange ok but either the card is losing connection to your isp, or some thing up with the B-RAS profile  (although I would have thought that would have been constant) or the only other thing and I've only come accross one like this once before where 2 end users had the same ip address from the ISP so when one was on the other couldn't. Looked like a typo as one address ended 21 and the other should have been 12

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 12:35:26 PM »

734 The PPP link control protocol terminated..

>> I've only come accross one like this once before where 2 end users had the same ip address from the ISP

Hmm.. you may well be on to something there. There was a batch of BT Internet customers about 2 months ago where they'd all been allocated the same IP address, but I thought that had been resolved now.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 01:14:55 PM »

Cheers for the list Kitz.

721 normaly = card at exch or B-RAS

734 sound like ISP end probably when they rebuilt your account for your new address. I would hazzard a guess It's most likely an ip address issue although I don't get involved with  that side of things, could be something else via your ISP

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 01:53:29 PM »

Hi
I dont know if it is relevant but on google search  brings up a Microsoft page giving some help on this one
regards
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 12:26:40 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion jeff :)
-----

Salukigirl

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 12:45:36 PM »

Just out of interest can you post your line stats from your modem please.

I guess I'm really having a bad run of computer luck :( because I just downloaded the program from the link you gave me under my modem and when it opens and does searching devices it says no speedtouch device found. My modem is 101% speedtouch 300 so I have no idea why it's not finding it :no: I'm really at a loss for what to do next as I've now tried everything. It seems to be very random, sometimes I can be on for a few hours before it does it and other days it can be a few times an hour. I found a diagnostics option for my modem which shows a lot of stuff but I have no idea which bits are relevant.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 01:10:57 PM »

try the adsl tab, your looking for downstream & upstream stuff which should say something like line loss/attenuation & snr/snrm/noise

Salukigirl

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »

Ok here is a screenshot of what's in the ADSL tab:

I was downloading something at the time of this screenshot, about a minute after taking it I lost connection, my modem lights were both green and internet still appeared to be connected (connected icon was there in my taskbar but not lit up) but as usual I still couldn't access anything online. I also noticed that the bit in the screenshot where it says loss of signal/framing and errored seconds started to go up one every second or so until it got to about 70 when at that point I unplugged the modem and put it back in. After that it got stuck for ages on initializing modem before I could connect again - this doesn't happen all that often but when it does I have to wait a few minutes or anything up to an hour.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:30:16 PM by Salukigirl »

Salukigirl

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 04:19:30 PM »

Hi
I dont know if it is relevant but on google search  brings up a Microsoft page giving some help on this one
regards

Thank you, I just did what the link suggested and when I get disconnected and try to reconnect I am no longer getting the error, so that's my smaller problem fixed, if only the disconnecting one was so easy!

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 05:05:14 PM »

Hi
The software you tried to download .Was it dr speedtouch . If it was I had the same problem . It did not find my Modem. However I checked the disk that I had from Tiscali  and a copy of it was on there. When I installed that one  it worked ok.
Did you have an installation disk it might be on there.
regards  Jeff
zen user

Salukigirl

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 08:31:17 AM »

Hi
The software you tried to download .Was it dr speedtouch . If it was I had the same problem . It did not find my Modem. However I checked the disk that I had from Tiscali  and a copy of it was on there. When I installed that one  it worked ok.
Did you have an installation disk it might be on there.
regards  Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes it was Dr Speedtouch. I have tried a few more times and it definitely won't pick up my modem. I just looked on my BT Yahoo CD and I don't appear to have it on there.
Any suggestions of what steps I can take next?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4