Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: low connection speed after Tiscali upgrade  (Read 20840 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: low connection speed after Tiscali upgrade
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 04:32:39 PM »

>> Ok I wiill mention this to these guys from Stevenage

TBH youre probably best not mentioning that one.

1).  Just realised you said you got the stats using Dr Speedtouch - so youre likely using the ST330 which is a usb modem rather than a router which may have something to do with it  - dont know.
2). Its not that important in your case - it must be a mis-reporting because if it really was at 0dB then you wouldnt have any connection at all.
3). Even if there was a problem with it...  then it would materialise in a different way.  It doesnt have anything at all to do with the fact that you appear to be syncing at a fixed speed.
4). They likely wont understand what the figure is and what it does and where it comes from  and therefore likely try blame the modem as the fault.

and... if you are using the ST330 check that you have the latest drivers - See the information here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#44
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:37:15 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »

>> Ok I wiill mention this to these guys from Stevenage

3). They likely wont understand what the figure is and what it does... 

The Tech Support guys are very good actually, its when you call the 0871 number is when they don't know what you are talking about.

I wanted to speak to broadband support and they answered saying Tiscali Talk, it took me 5mins explaining what I wanted!

They did tell me the basics though, I haven't got anything against them. They always get the issue or fault sorted within the times they say (usually)  :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 05:53:18 PM »

???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 06:41:59 PM »

Hi all
zen user

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 06:45:28 PM »

Any call yet? :-\
Kind Regards
Jamie

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »

Hi all again
seem to have pressed wrong key lost the reply I started .  It does seem strange that TxOutputPower_dBm and RxOutputPower_dBm are zero ,I did find somewhere that that equated  to 1 something or other . I googled and lots of people using the same modem seem to have 0 as a value . Nobody seemed to be worried about it.
No Jid no call yet !!.I was out for awhile but nobody rang when I checked 1471.well tomorrow is another day.

I tried using the bt test but failed .
When the first scroll bar was about 10% down there was a message
Exception:: access denied (java.net.socketPermission 217.35.209.14:80 connect,resolve)
The second scroll bar then ran to 96 % and just stayed there.  I did a screen grab but haven't worked out how to get it into the post.
Regards  :)
zen user

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 07:24:10 PM »

No Jid no call yet !!.I was out for awhile but nobody rang when I checked 1471.well tomorrow is another day.

Same here, the chance is bleak I think.  :( >:(

(sorry, a bit OT)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:17:11 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 09:24:04 AM »

>> lots of people using the same modem seem to have 0 as a value

Possibly is due to the fact its usb then, and running off the PC power rather than its own power supply like a router.  I honestly dont know Im afraid..  but if others of the same type are showing the same result then it certainly not worth worrying about.

You really need to speak to someone in Tiscali who has a clue about their profiles and how adsl works.

Say that you believe your line has wrongly been classified as only suitable for 512 kbps.
You have a 33dB attenuation line which means that you should in theory be getting over 7Mbps.
and also that your SNR Margin of 30dB means that you have plenty of spare to cope with much higher speeds and that you have been artificially capped.

Can they please arrange to put you on dslmax fully rate adaptive rather than the current capped 512 service.

>> Exception:: access denied (java.net.socketPermission 217.35.209.14:80 connect,resolve)

It could be that youre on Tiscali datastream, If you'd want to PM me your phone no, I'll have a quick look and see if I can check your line/exchange if you like.
-----

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 11:27:15 AM »

Hi kitz
 tiscali tech has just phoned , HE reckons that the snr is tooHIGH ? . I thought the higher the better?. He said he would contact BT to do a line check and ring me back in 10 to 15 min. line just gone down . Just reconnected 6.4 MBPS. ???
Iwill be in touch again  ::)
zen user

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 04:25:22 PM »

Hi kitz
 tiscali tech has just phoned , HE reckons that the snr is tooHIGH ? . I thought the higher the better?. He said he would contact BT to do a line check and ring me back in 10 to 15 min. line just gone down . Just reconnected 6.4 MBPS. ???
Iwill be in touch again  ::)

You had more luck than me then!
Kind Regards
Jamie

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 06:20:31 PM »

hi  all ;D
Connected at 6.5Mbps!!!.
Jid ,kitz
Nick from Stevenage is the HERO. Spoke to him for 5min telling him what happened . At first He asked about Modem etc but he did contact BT and as per my previous post when the line reconnected it was fine .He did phone back and apparently there was something wrong at the exchange  (surprise surprise!!!). The BT guy said something about "flexing something or other"  or something like that.He also reckoned that the area I am in should be ok for 5.5Mbps.Nick  told me that I am  on 2MBPS package and it would take up to 3 days to settle ,then He is going to phone Monday and get me back to 8Max if everything ok . Now the funny thing is that using speedtest.net It is showing downloads up to 4567Mbps , dan ewells speedtest is showing 2451Mbps . So I am not quite sure what the actual speed is .my speed did drop dramatically between 4 and 5 pm. to < 500KBps still showin 6.4Mbps . I disconnected and reconnected the modem (not physically) and everything was back to normal connecting  at 6.5Mbps and downloads in the 4.5Mbps region on speedtest.net .
 Just shows I've wasted over a month talking to the wrong people . The Indian help desk / indian tech people. NOT one bothered to listen to anything that was said . They just seem to take the BT database data at face value . By the way if I check my line capacity it still shows 500Kbps on both BT and plus net.
I will keep you informed of further developments . Jid  I Hope you have some luck with them
Regards 
zen user

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 06:25:24 PM »

Thanks for the update on that, nice to hear its all back to normal.

How did you get in touch with the guys in Stevenage then?

Are they "Second Line Engineers"? Thats who I am supposed to be having a call from!

As for Speedtest.net, make sure you use the London server as the Maidenhead one has some problems of congestion.
Kind Regards
Jamie

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 06:36:31 PM »

Flex is term for a type of card reset for the dsl equipment in the exchange, it's done by the people in wholesale, it's a stage done before a lift and shift is found to be required. I havn't come accross a fault on a line where the same position needed a flex a second time so I would think you shoud be ok from now on.

As for snr being too high, if it was rate adaptive then yes higher is bad, but on a fixed speed the higher the better. 30db is excellent. get anything like that on rate adaptive and your about to loose sync if not lost already.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »

Jid
I didn't contact him he phoned me . What I did I got hold of the HIGH level complaints dept .

Richard Lawrence <Richard.Lawrence@uk.tiscali.com>

Richard Lawrence

High Level Complaints Executive
tel:+44 (0) 207 087 2121
fax:+44 (0) 207 087 2273
mob:+44 (0) 7971331395

Tiscali UK Ltd
20 Broadwick Street,
London W1F 8HT

He is a very helpful guy , I emailed him and he replied with his phone number .  He has access to the techs in Stevenage ,he arranges for them to ring  . He does itthere and then . although I think when he entered the data on his database he put the wrong day ,because when the techi phoned he asked if it was ok because he wasnt dueto ring till 4pm. (thats probably why I didn't get call yesterday.
Hope this helps
Regards Jeff
zen user

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 06:52:32 PM »

Ezzer
Thanks for the explanation on flexing . My snr margin has now dropped to 5. I seem to remember that there is a link between bandwidth and snr margin does that make sense ?
Regards Jeff
zen user
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything