Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Why I Like Retirement  (Read 4733 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Why I Like Retirement
« on: September 03, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »

"Nicked from elsewhere"

And They Ask Why
I Like Retirement !!!

Question: How many days in a week?
Answer: 6 Saturdays, 1 Sunday

Question: When is a retiree's bedtime?
Answer: Three hours after he falls asleep on the couch .

Question: How many retirees to change a light bulb?
Answer: Only one, but it might take all day.

Question: What's the biggest gripe of retirees?
Answer: There is not enough time to get everything done.

Question: Why don't retirees mind being called Seniors?
Answer: The term comes with a 10% discount.

Question: Among retirees what is considered formal attire?
Answer: Tied shoes.

Question: Why do retirees count pennies?
Answer: They are the only ones who have the time.

Question: What is the common term for someone who enjoys work and refuses to retire?
Answer: NUTS!

Question: Why are retirees so slow to clean out the basement, attic or garage?
Answer: They know that as soon as they do, one of their adult kids will want to store stuff there.

Question: What do retirees call a long lunch?
Answer: Normal.

Question: What is the best way to describe retirement?
Answer: The never ending Coffee Break.

Question: What's the biggest advantage of going back to school as a retiree?
Answer: If you cut classes, no one calls your parents.

Question: Why does a retiree often say he doesn't miss work, but misses the people he used to work with?
Answer: He is too polite to tell the whole truth.

QUESTION: What do you do all week?
Answer: Monday through Friday, NOTHING..... Saturday & Sunday, I rest.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Why I Like Retirement
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »

I couldn't possibly comment :)
  Eric

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 07:18:35 PM »

OF,
Nicked.

And ther are some good ones in there that would be fine for a signature.
dave

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »

I've never seen a gravestone with "Should have spent more time at work"  :D

Floydoid

• Senior Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:50:19 AM »

Question: What is the common term for someone who enjoys work and refuses to retire?
Answer: NUTS!

Soon, that might not be an option... from today's Eastern Daily Press: http://tinyurl.com/67ln5x

Old folk should have the right to work

Older people should have the right to carry on working beyond retirement age to keep active and relieve pressure on the state pension, a Norfolk charity said last night.

The call from Age Concern Norfolk came on the day that former cabinet minster David Blunkett reignited the debate over the assumption that the government had "prime responsibility" for supporting people through "the ever-increasing years of retirement".

Eamon McGrath, the charity's community development manager, said a growing number of people remained "able and willing" to work well beyond retirement age. Ministers should scrap the mandatory retirement age which allowed employers to force staff to give up work, he said.

But he added that those who carried on working - either full-time or part-time - should do so through choice, and extended careers should not be forced upon those who were not physically able.

Mr McGrath said: "A huge number of people have the desire and skills to carry on work beyond the age of 65. They benefit from it by keeping active and society benefits as they continue to pay tax and do not claim state pension. But while this may be appropriate for those with more sedentary jobs, there are many people, such as those with manual occupations, who cannot carry on working.

"Often it is the lowest paid who are forced to carry on working as they can least afford to retire. It is important that the government does not forget about these people and continues to provide for them to live in dignity."

He added that employers should value experienced workers, many of whom had skills which were hard to come by.

In a speech to the Counsel and Care charity in London, former work and pensions secretary Mr Blunkett argued there should in future be a "merging" of the adult population who were considered to be "of working age" with those who were not.

At the same time, he said, people should increasingly be prepared to use equity-release schemes to pay for their care in retirement rather than protecting the value of their inheritances to their families.

Mr Blunkett said he believed that carrying on in "work activity" for as long as possible should form part of the "social care agenda" for the future. His proposals are likely to prove highly controversial both within the Labour Party and beyond.

"My presumption is this: that all of us, every one of us who is capable of doing so, should aspire to continue with some meaningful activity to the point of our incapacity overtaking us," he said.

"Preferably work, of course, increasingly part-time, flexible and, in many cases, very different to the work undertaken in our earlier lives. Perhaps, increasingly, volunteering - within our own family and immediate circle as well as outside; offering what we can and receiving from others what we cannot."

Mr Blunkett also warned that with a doubling of the population over the age of 80, new ways would have to be found to fund the care of the elderly. With £700bn tied up in home ownership by the retired, he said equity-release schemes could alleviate the need for people to sell up or enter residential care by providing the cash to pay for care in their homes.

"In our endeavour to protect people's inheritance, have we not made enough of, and are we not clear enough about, the release of equity from the enormous home ownership that exists in Britain and the divide of those with and without assets which this trend has accelerated?" he said.

"In my view, and I am open to persuasion, we should be looking to reinforce the responsibility and capability of the family and the immediate community to continue helping themselves."

Sorry to put a dampener on it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:52:58 AM by Floydoid »
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 04:29:43 PM »

Well thats a slightly different version than the one I read yesterday in a different paper.

It was portrayed that Blunkett was saying that people without the means to support themselves should be "EXPECTED TO WORK" as these people were more likely to have been on benefits before retirement and the state should "STILL NOT" be expected to support them after retirement.

:lol:
If they were unemployed and on state benefit prior to retirement, how on earth are they going to get a job after the age of 60/65.

As I have said in the past, newspapers have a licence to print whatever they seem to think fits their own personal agenda.
Be this a political party they support or a political party they would like to embarrass.

Floydoid

• Senior Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 04:50:55 PM »

The *Eastern Daily Press is usually fairly neutral in its reporting, not like the politically biased nationals.

*the biggest selling regional paper in the country
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."