Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Be There speed estimates  (Read 5842 times)

canon

• Reg Member
Be There speed estimates
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »

I started thinking again about going over to BeThere again the other day so checked their web site to see if prices had changed.
On the home page there's a speed test gadget which gave wildly varying results (much too low) for my existing connection and 3.62Mbps for Be if I transferred.
Since I already synch at 8128 and get 4 to 7 Mbps download, the Be estimate seemed way out. I have contacted them but they insist, so far, that's it. They say my line length is 3.7km but when I checked some time ago by dialling 17070 it was 2.3km.
The Kitz estimate from my attenuation (37db) is 2.7km with speeds of around 9Mbps for adsl2 LLU - which is what I would have expected from earlier investigations.
Any comments on this discrepancy would be welcome, who's right, are Be being pessimistic, etc.
My exchange is Dunchurch.

Terry.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Be There speed estimates
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 10:49:54 PM »

None of the line estimators can be assumed to be accurate. With an attenuation of 37 dB the Kitz estimate is what one would reasonably expect.

Eric

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 02:45:39 AM »

I'd agree with Roseway on that one - my current attenuation is (Up/Down) 15.5 / 30.0 and I get ~1200kbps.

Just for the record, I have nothing but praise for Be's customer services and provisioning departments, the other ISP's i've worked for/used/dealt with in the past are a joke in comparison. So far all my e-mail queries have been answered (right down to what chipset their DSLAM uses in my local area) within a couple of hours and their one of the few providers who actually send you a text message if they have an outage or planned mintainence work.

Havelock

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 07:56:14 AM »

I'd agree with Roseway on that one - my current attenuation is (Up/Down) 15.5 / 30.0 and I get ~1200kbps.
There does not seem much hope for me in that case but why is the Be speed estimate so low compared with what I get now?

So far all my e-mail queries have been answered (right down to what chipset their DSLAM uses in my local area) within a couple of hours
They replied to me within 24hrs which I thought was quite good for a non-customer.
Terry.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:37 AM »

There does not seem much hope for me in that case but why is the Be speed estimate so low compared with what I get now?

It's just an estimate based on the information available to them. It doesn't mean that they would limit you to that value - the actual speed would be negotiated between the router and the exchange in the normal way, and the probability is that you would get something in the region of 10 Mbps connection speed.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 07:42:47 AM »

I suspect some of the information will have come from the BT database which is pretty well known to be conservative.

Not everyone is clued up about adsl, and some lines do have some pretty poor speeds, some of them purely because the filters have been set up wrong or because of the internal wiring.. and they really just dont know better.  Earlier this year I checked a neighbours line... and they seriously thought their broadband was ok.. yet they were getting < 400 kbps... which is pretty bad for a line that is very close to the exchange.  They just didnt know any better, so its people like that that will bring the averages down.
BT currently have my own line rated at 6500 kbps, yet it sync'd at the full 8Mbps for over 2 years and now syncs @ 24Mbps on adsl 2+
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 08:16:49 AM »

Thanks for the replies to my query.
I'm pretty sure the Be estimate, which they say is based on the BT database, is very pessimistic.
I'm off on a long holiday soon so will look again later in October.
T

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 08:51:53 AM »

>> which they say is based on the BT database, is very pessimistic

It is :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything