Broadband Related > ISPs

FTTP Package Upgrade

(1/2) > >>

art37:
I am looking at upgrading my FTTP package. My present ISP has been very good for the past 2 years. If I upgrade my ISP will require me to takeout a new 12 month contract (fair enough), but it will not offer me the discount it offers to new customers.

As my insurers are not allowed to price discriminate against existing customers, I just wonder how long it will be before ISPs are required to follow similar rules of fairness?

broadstairs:
Sounds like a good idea but not sure the ISPs will agree.

Stuart

art37:
I am sure that insurers didn’t agree but change was forced upon them by the sector Regulator.

Chrysalis:
Ofcom seem to be a bit hesitant to impose things the providers will not agree to, although they are nowhere near as bad as Ofgem.

Regulation is inconsistent as you have pointed out, even within Ofcom its inconsistent as an example they recently stopped the practice of not removing cost of phones from mobile phone tariffs that included a device, but it still took them many years to do that.  They had the chance to do something when they were consulting on the in contract price increases, but they decided to do a light touch change which was to prevent increases based on a unknown future number such as future inflation but providers are still allowed to impose fix cost increases.

For as long as they allow in contract increases I think there is no chance they will forbid this kind of discrimination.  Ofcom arguably may actually want consumers to be constantly switching ISPs as they can then consider that evidence of a competitive marketplace.

art37:
You are probably right, but given that most of the middle ground ISPs now charge £55/month for a 1GB FTTP service there is not much competition apart from new subscriber offers such as a free router.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version