Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: IP-TV coming this year  (Read 3169 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: IP-TV coming this year
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2024, 02:59:10 PM »

I wonder if the app will be setup like other apps were the free version has adverts. But if you pay a monthly fee for premium then no ads.

I've heard rumblings ofcom are trying to gain authority over all iptv channels. I've not heard any details though, other than that before they used to crack down on the illegal iptv broadcasters. But now they are also targeting the receivers.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2024, 03:58:38 PM »

I wonder if the app will be setup like other apps were the free version has adverts. But if you pay a monthly fee for premium then no ads.

I've heard rumblings ofcom are trying to gain authority over all iptv channels. I've not heard any details though, other than that before they used to crack down on the illegal iptv broadcasters. But now they are also targeting the receivers.

I find that highly unlikely seeing as it's just showing other people's content.

The BBC have no ads.
Channel 5 want their ads shown. They don't want someone else taking a payment and stripping the ads out.

I'm also not sure how blocking ads on LIVE content would or could work.

I've had apps in the past that have already tried things like this with Freeview channels but they were all sued to some extent.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2024, 12:49:40 PM »

The Freely app is now live today.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/04/freelys-live-uk-broadband-tv-stream-service-goes-live-today.html

I think it'll be good for those people in areas that don't get the full selection of channels and don't have Sky or Virgin Media.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 03:41:17 AM »

The Freely app is now live today.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/04/freelys-live-uk-broadband-tv-stream-service-goes-live-today.html

I think it'll be good for those people in areas that don't get the full selection of channels and don't have Sky or Virgin Media.

Unfortunately no "the app" has not launched, the service has only launched built-in to new Hisense TVs as a complete native alternative to over the air reception.

Also "all you need is Wi-Fi" is so cringe considering WiFi is not required at all as TVs have these things called ethernet ports, be shocked if HiSense do not have them.

The whole website is a really bad advert to sell 2024 Hisense TVs, no mention if an app is even coming.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 04:24:25 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 08:41:18 AM »

Just goes to show the market if they are partnering with HiSense first, they're not exactly a premium brand.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 10:17:06 AM »

One can only conclude, that this is to compete with Sky Stream. But hopefully will be taken on by more premium brands and set top boxes.
As yet I still don't wish to purchase a new TV. So I'll carry on with my ageing Samsung reduce my E-waste footprint and risk a lightning strike! ;)
Dwight
Pages: 1 [2]

anything